Service Air Bag - Chevy/GMC

dgh5454

I know there are a lot of Chevy/GMC owners out there and I was wondering if any of you have had your Service Air Bag light come on. I own a 2005 Chevy Tahoe and this light recently came on. I have done some research on the internet and found a fair amount of postings on this, but the solution seems to be fairly inconsistant, either by self diagnosis or even by the dealers.

Let me know if anyone out there has run into this and if you have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dan

polarisrider1

I think it's a federal law that any air bag work has to be done by the dealer or certified air bag tech. They have to work. I was told to never mess with any wires on my chev. that was yellow in color. Those wires are for the air bags. Alot of people are scared to death of going to the dealer. My dealer is fantastic, bring it to them.

doospunk

Just had it happen earlier this week on an 07 Avalanch. Came on for a few moments, then went away. I've had a couple different service indicators come and go like that also, but the dealer can't seem to pick it up unless they can catch it in the act.

slednorth

I HAVE A 2005 SUBURBAN, AND MY LIGHT CAME ON LAST SUMMER. THE DEALER ADVISED ME THAT A SENSOR HAD FAILED, AND, THEREFORE, THE AIR BAG WOULD NOT DEPLOY. THE FIX WAS A COUPLE HUNDRED DOLLARS ... TAKE HER IN

dave_m

Have you put anything under the seats lately ??? You may have unplugged a wire under there. Take it to a shop to have looked at.

800le

Don't mess around with the air bag yourself, I just retired from GM back in April and worked in quality control. The new plant I retired from we had to take an airbag safety class as well as the assemblers on the line. This can be a DANGEROUS SITUATION that you could put yourself in. TAKE IT IN for service and let the profesionals take care of it and insist something be done. I repeat DO NOT mess with it yourself.

snowbullet

My darn light comes on every so often especially in winter or some times in damp weather . i recently egnord it <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> took 4 months before it went back to not being on . ive tryed everything from diconecting the batterie to unplugging the main bag wire to a pice of black tape over the air bag light its a bunch of hoo haa if you ask me . Just A scare to have you spend Some Jing at your local dealer IGNORE it <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> will shut off in due time MINE DID hasent come on in 3 months so far yes it still comes on when first starting the avalanch like it should !!

eao

A small gas explosion sets of the air bag and with a lot of force. If proper precautions are not followed when working on it or even trying to disconnect it, you can accidentally set it off. If you or someone else is anywhere near it when that happens, no telling what harm can come to you, death is a possibility.

800le

Hey snowbullet the typical air bag in the steering column laid upside down on the ground triggered will launch up to 15 feet in the air . This is not just a scare but serious and dangerous business. So if you think some jing is worth an injury or something more serious go ahead and keep fooling yourself. Dont't get me wrong I am not looking to make any enemies on this thread, but like I said earlier I went through training and it was mandatory on my job that I performed.

billpayer09

I agree with dave m. The light on my 2003 Z-71 came on around a month ago. My mechanic found it to be a broken wire under the drivers seat (darn kids in the back), he simpley sodered the wire back together and I was in my way.

fjr4me

I have had both my left and right front air bag sensors go bad on my 05' Suburban. The right went out last year and the left about 3 months ago.

The truck only has 40k miles. Seems ridiculous that these would fail already.

uncle_ed

dgh5454, If the airbag light is on then the system is in-op and will not deploy the bags if you should get in an accident. I would take it in to the dealer or qualified mechanic and let him hook up a scan tool to pin point the problem. It could be any number of problems in any one of the componants. Most common is wires & sensors.
Ed