Shingleton, MI

snocrazy

This summer I purchased the gas station - mechanic shop on the corner of m28 and m94/h15.
My business partner Al also owns the Tanglewood next door. We are looking to convert the location in to lodging.
We will be cutting it close for this winter. We are just finishing up the environmental assessments. 20k in fees so far to tell us what we already know.
This location was a gas station since 1930. I have aerial pictures of the town going back that far and ever ten yours to current. Pretty cool seeing how this area has transformed over time.
We have the property cleaned up. No more piles of broken down cars and junk piled every where. Fences are coming down between this property and the Tanglewood. This will make travel to the Arctic Cat dealer much easier from trail 8. This was a horrible eye sore for the area.

Debating if we should go with many smaller rooms or convert the offices in to a big lodge where large groups could stay together and use the unheated workshop space to party and park sleds.
The location is ideal being next to a bar - restaurant - gas on one side and an Arctic Cat dealer on the other.

Another Shingleton change is Alger SORVA has moved to the old iverson snow shoe mill property. Just south of the railroad tracks on m94 there is a street (Mill St.). The building is East at the end of the road.
This summer we made this move. No more tent in wetmore. We sold that to the land owner we were renting from. Having an insulated, heated building with concrete floors, life should be easier.
I have been out grading the trails over the last Month when we got the tractor fixed up. Of course mother nature has not been cooperating. No rain for a Month before we got rolling. Now it seems rain every other day. So it has been slowing efforts down. Currently I am working on trail 7 south. (buckhorn area) Hope to get west to xmas and autrain - brownstone in next couple of weeks.
Flat Dirt = Flat Snow

Hope you all have enjoyed the summer. The weather is changing here already. Trees starting to change colors. Fall is in the air. Before you know it winter will be here in full force.

Think Snow.....

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck with your plans! It sounds like you've got a good start to things and remember....location, location, location.

snocrazy

Gas is next door at the Tanglewood. Might move the awning or get rid of it.
The big grey building is what we are turning in to lodging.

WorkHardPlayHrd

Snocrazy, I want to thank you and everyone in SORVA for the huge improvement you have made in those trails. Was there in 2012 and vowed never ever to come back. Was forced to 3 years ago when the temperature got hot and we needed somewhere to go with the kids. The change was amazing! Now it's one of my preferred areas to ride and base out of. It truly does matter who takes care of the trails. Best of luck with your project, and may you reap the benefits of what you are doing. Happy Trails!

old abe

Snocrazy, I want to thank you and everyone in SORVA for the huge improvement you have made in those trails. Was there in 2012 and vowed never ever to come back. Was forced to 3 years ago when the temperature got hot and we needed somewhere to go with the kids. The change was amazing! Now it's one of my preferred areas to ride and base out of. It truly does matter who takes care of the trails. Best of luck with your project, and may you reap the benefits of what you are doing. Happy Trails!

Agree with all that WHPH! It's all in the "WANT TO". It was so bad several years before SORVA took over, the good folks at Alger Falls motel let us cancel out after only a few days of BRUTAL trails. Very good folks, and we highly recommend their motel! There again, they have the "WANT TO" to being good hosts!

uperjim

Great news--good to hear about new stuff going in!

Whoever owned the towing service in Shingleton bailed out my son years ago when his vehicle stopped running on the Seney stretch on his way to Mich Tech. Happened on a Sunday and they towed him to Shingleton and correctly diagnosed the issue and got him back on the road for a very reasonable amount. I have been on that trail many times and that stopping point is much needed.

As far as lodging ( I am in the Pine Stump area); there really is a need for lodging that can accommodate larger groups. Seems that there are very few places that can accommodate larger groups comfortably.

Good luck with things and keep us posted as I will be looking to stay near there during the middle of week this winter.