short track out West

muzik

We are heading out to Island Park, Idaho with Mom's in mid March. Two of the guys have shorttracks. I am unsure how they will be able to do in the deeper snow. One guy is thinking on backing out. Thoughts and comments please.

boatingbent

We just was out at Tog and one of our guys brought out a 2012 Polaris Pro R with the 136 Track and all in all he did real well ......He went just about everywhere the rest if us went ....I guess if there are 2 guys going with you that have short tracks maybe they should do thier own thing and try to stick to the trails as much as possible

borderstaff

It REALLY depends on the snow when you are out there. I was in IP 2 weeks ago and you could have gone anywhere on Mt. Jefferson with a 121 w/1" lugs. The snow was set up and I was only stuck once all day w/ a 153...and that was climbing a tricky hill that was near 60 dgrees at the top. Don't let them back out...but make sure they understand that if the snow is really fresh and deep that they will want to stick to the trails and easy spots...then rent a sled for a day to enjoy what snowmobiling is really about - Offtrail riding. Make sure they have the correct gear to ride on the hills.

It REALLY depends on the snow when you are out there. I was in IP 2 weeks ago and you could have gone anywhere on Mt. Jefferson with a 121 w/1" lugs. The snow was set up and I was only stuck once all day w/ a 153...and that was climbing a tricky hill that was near 60 dgrees at the top. Don't let them back out...but make sure they understand that if the snow is really fresh and deep that they will want to stick to the trails and easy spots...then rent a sled for a day to enjoy what snowmobiling is really about - Offtrail riding. Make sure they have the correct gear to ride on the hills.

X2... Well stated borderstaff.

jmom800x

Jacob. I even remember you on a 121 at Tog. few years back. Muzik Don't back out! Amazing how good you get and quickly on a 121 in the Mtns. Muzik what date are you going? I will be out there March 5-10.

Yep, a 121 Beaver Tail 600, lots of great memories.
121 more.jpg

muzik

I ain't backing out. March 18-23 is the week we are going. I am fine with a 153" Nytro. One buddy was really worried he just picked up a 153" Polaris (ew) yesterday. My son will be riding a 121" he is inexperienced almost 21 yrs. I am trying to find a longtrack for him to purchase or we may just rent out west. With the 121" Phazer i would have to buy the parts and bring in to the shop and have them change the chain, weights, and the spring. And then changer back for lower elevations when we get home. I may just rent out there, any takers for a rental this trip, nothing fancy needed 85+ horsepower would be fine for him. Anyone have a good sled for sale for this trip who is coming???

snoluver1

Everyone seems to forget, long tracks only came out in the late 90's, and even then a "long track" was 136". We've been riding sleds for something like 50 years here people! What do you think we did before the first Summit?:)

snoluver1

Ya, I supose there was a lot of that going on. Although, I think it was more along the lines of team work back then. LOL:)

dereks2623

My first time out west last year was in the snowies with my 02 xcsp 600 short track with stock track on it. Picked up probably anywhere around three feet of fresh snow the week we were there (depending on where we rode that day). Ive never had so much FUN in my life on a sled. Sure i got stuck, but the group i was with was great and helped me get unstuck when i did. All i did was follow them till we got to an area to play in then i broke off and jumped and climbed and carved as best as i could till i could not move foward any farther. Do not let having a short track keep them from going because even though they for sure will not get the high mark they will have the most fun they will ever have on a sled!

rmkking

I have two words for the short trackers " SNO BUNJEE ". Get one and have it wrapped around your handlebars. Its a back saver.

polarisrider1

I have two words for the short trackers " SNO BUNJEE ". Get one and have it wrapped around your handlebars. Its a back saver.
If a 121" goes on a trip with me. don't worry we will pull you out! Jacob those are great memories watcing you on the 121". I thought I was top dog on the 136" lol. And Revkev punched his gade out to 144" Wow!!! We had a blast!

TuckerRunner

First year I went to Meeker Co. I had a 89 Mach 1 with a 121 in mostly 8'-10' of powder. The first day was tough, but after I got on to it I went every year. If that tank could get around, most anything will.