Silver Lake Sand Dunes?

megan600

The dunes officially opened a few weekends ago...wondering if any John Dee'rs are headed there this summer, and if so when?

Dave_B

We usually go up a couple times a year. We are only planning one trip this year for the Applefest, BBQ Cook off in September. The rest of the "group" already has three trips booked.

snow_monkey

Silver Lake is a great place for vacation. Great beaches, Go carts and game room for the kids, horseback riding, dune rides, fresh fruits and vegi stands, concert hall Valdu Lakes, and the motorsports area for orv's. One trip with the Jeep Wrangler is a must!!

xcr440

My parents go to Glamis every year, I'm going to try to convince them to take the "short" trip up there this year, from the Twin Cities. My dad has been building a Chevy Tracker for the dunes and mountains out west, and he always makes a test run of his equipment before heading on the big trip out west. Sounds like the perfect location to do so.

snow_monkey

Just make sure you check the rules before you go to the dunes. Certain vehicles like Broncos ect.. required helmets or a roll bar. I am sure the rules can change, better to be safe than sorry.

xcr440

He has both. He's going a little over the top with this thing. He's already discussed and is probably going to put what he estimates at a $1500 shock package under it.

This is his Retired Engineer/Welder Hobby at the moment. He's 73, and still going strong!

They've been going to Glamis with 4-wheelers the past 12-15 years, and now he wants "comfort".

megan600

Been going yearly for about 16 years now. My season there this year will start on Memorial day weekend, then be back in July for a week. We've never actually been during the time of the apple fest, we usually go the weekend after as our year end trip. Such a great place to vacation, many memories have been made there.

I've never been to Glamis, and although I LOVE silver lake, I'm not sure it can compare on a scale size based on what I've heard about Glamis, but I agree that it might be a great test session before the big ride out west.

Hope to see some of you out there.

Attachments

• P7120609.jpg
    P7120609.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 75
  • P7120621.jpg
    P7120621.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 78

peter

Been there before buch of times, did'nt make last year. We'll try again this year.

Megan, more pics I know you got more pics.

wilson

silver lake sand dunes is on the west side coast of michigan, on lake michigan, between muskegon and ludington near the citys of mears or hart. the dunes can be very crowded on weekends and a zoo on holiday weekends, i believe now they have some sort of lottery type system to get on the dunes, if you have to trailer your toys there, the parking lot fills up real quick and then there is no parking, if you drive your vechicle there and don't have to park a truck and trailer you usually can get right on the dunes, they also require flags that have to be a certain height. you can find rules and reg. on the web site. there also is a state park nearby if you want to camp. you will see all kinds of strange and custom stuff running around on the dunes, lot's of people go up to watch the sunset and usually in the early evening they get a drag strip going...lot's of fun for a group of guy's or for the family

megan600

Of course I have more pics :)

Attachments

• BDA Coming up Test2.jpg
    BDA Coming up Test2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Andy Gettin Air.jpg
    Andy Gettin Air.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC01033.jpg
    DSC01033.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Fireworks sunset.jpg
    Fireworks sunset.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Gals.jpg
    Gals.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 73

megan600

again...

Attachments

• P7020076.jpg
    P7020076.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Wheelie coming at us1.JPG
    Wheelie coming at us1.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P7140643.jpg
    P7140643.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Rides on Test Sepia1.jpg
    Rides on Test Sepia1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 66
  • P7020081.jpg
    P7020081.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 72

Dave_B

Dunes Pictures

For those who want to see some pictures from Silver Lake Sand Dunes, check out my buddy Josh's site. He has put together an incredible collection of photos, mostly of our gang, from each trip over the last few years.

http://www.jfreeling.com/Off-Road

attack_06

oceano california

did anyone know this place looks exactly like oceano orv area right on the pacific ocean thats pretty wild

big_bill

Been dunnin it for 34 years, every year, sometimes 8-9 times a year. Shoulda bought a place 20-25 years ago, expensive real estate now. Never thought I'd be going still, but son and girl loves it, soooo, still going. A tradition for the past 4 years is to go opening and closing weekend. They open April fools day and close on Halloween day. We went this year, had motel res as it's usually cold, but cancelled and camped as weather was warm. It got 78 on friday, rained Sat and windy Sunday, but still had great time. Also go for my Bday every year, again will be there this year, (June 23) for 5 days. Will be going in May and July, and August also. Boy, this sand addiction is just as bad as my snow addiction. That's why I love Michigan! Someday I hope to make it west to ride the dunes out there. Maybe when I retire in 3 years, 2 months, and 3 days, but who;s counting?