Simplicity garden tractor question

ill marty

I have a 4108 simplicity garden tractor at camp . The tractor is stuck in gear . The shift lever will not catch the gears to remove from gear . Has anyone been down this road before ? Its in perfect condition so I would like to repair . Any help would be appreciated .

old abe

I'm not sure of the transmission used on that tractor? By the sounds of your problem, it should not be that difficult to fix. Locate where the shift/selector is at on the transmission, and start there.

Wyelde

Most of those have the 3 speed + reverse gearbox. Shifting is in an H pattern with neutral in the middle. Can you shift between the different gears? If it is a linkage problem, it should be easy enough to fix. But if it is a gearbox problem, not so much. The gearbox is a sealed unit, and to get a replacement would probably not be worth it. You are pushing the clutch/brake petal in completely when you try to shift it, right?

mezz

I have a 4108 simplicity garden tractor at camp . The tractor is stuck in gear . The shift lever will not catch the gears to remove from gear . Has anyone been down this road before ? Its in perfect condition so I would like to repair . Any help would be appreciated .

I am going to assume this is a manual transaxle i.e. Dana transaxle, what gear is it stuck in? Have tried driving the tractor in the gear it is presently in & tried changing gears? If not, try that first, then try lubing the gear selector on the transaxle itself. If it still won't change gears, then you will have no alternative & have to drop the transaxle & take it apart in order to see what is causing the hang up. You don't want to force it as that will cause further damage. IMO, the hydrostatic transmission is the way to go.-Mezz

mezz

I did a little poking around, I am thinking what you have is a Model 410 "Lawn" Tractor. It apparently does have a separate gear box & parts are available on line as well as a schematic of the parts needed, either Google simplicity, or try www.ereplacementparts.com/ & look for "all" products, find simplicity in the list & you should be good to go. -Mezz

G

G

Step 1. Find another person. Age, sex and race does not matter. Step 2. Get a floor jack and jack up the drive axle so the tires are off the ground. Step 3. Have one person move the tire to and fro and have the other person play with the shifter. If that doesn't work trade it off.

lotoftoys

If this is the model I am thinking of it should not be a big deal and is a fairly common issue. Guessing 3 speed and reverse gear transmission. Just lift the seat pan, remove plug at top (a little off to side) of transmission. Make your self a hook type tool and reach in transmission and pull it out of gear. May never happen again. Good luck, these are great little tractors. I have had several.

ill marty

Thanks for all the ideas for repair .I think that possibly the breaks are stuck on . There is a belt from motor to rear differential . The pivot point that puts pressure on belt to ingage and releases pressure to disengage maybe stuck . So some wd40 and some cleaning might do the trick .

ill marty

Tractor is fixed. The brakes were stick on and would not release alittle lube and shes like new again. So she will be spending another summer working at camp in Ishpeming .