ski doo 600sdi with 6000 miles. Thoughts?

pcarp

I am looking at a '08 ski doo with the 600sdi, has 6000 miles on it. What should I be worried about? Anybody have a list of issues I should be checking for?

skidoo50

That is alot of miles for an 08. Check compression and the question is -How bad do you want it & is the price right?????

whitedust

Going to need engine work soon. If you are only riding 1000 miles a year might be Ok sled for ya at right price. I wouldn't buy it too many miles for a 2s but I'm a 4s guy.

lookin4snow

I put 6,000 miles on a couple of them with no troubles. Yes, it's a lot of miles. But, depending on how the sled was rode, you can easily get 10,000 to 12,000 miles without working on the engine. I'd check compression and if you are really interested and the price is right, pay someone with knowledge to pull the top end and give it an inspection.

mjkaliszak

I guess it depends on how it was maintained and the $$$ and the sellers honor ( IMO ). At about that mileage, I will have already replaced the chain, several oil changes ( every year ), the track will next at about 7K along with any studs they will be shot, several belts,hyfax, track clips, boogie wheels, skags, drive shaft bearing ( make sure the speedo works ). I would think 120# for the compression would be good, the closer together both cylinders are the better. Just for some examples. Look at the bulkhead & see if it was hit or is kinked along with the front heat exchanger if it has studs.I usually try to sell my stuff at a bargian, I don't want anyone buying anything from me and not being happy. If there are things that need replaced I will bring them up to the buyer. Sleds aren't worth much after the 1st year or 2 at most. I don't expect everyone to agree with me especially with the track thing but I have just went thru 3 ripsaws, all on sleds with 5-8 k. I would say that if you go to buy that sled with the year & miles is worth about 1/3 msrp for an estimate. ( I don't want everyone jumping on me ) but that is close to the truth.

Last edited:

notaboveme

I have 7800 miles on my 06 600 H.O. X and still have 140 in the cylinders and have only replaced the battery, two belts, and a relay since it was new. Going to turn over 10,000 this year before I snow check a new Ski-Doo, either a 800 E-Tec or a 1200.

pcarp

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate the tips on things to check out. Wondering about compression numbers, when you say a sled has 140#'s is that hot or cold.
What should you expect to budget if you were to have the top end gone thru?
Is $600 a reasonable estimate?

snowbuff

I have an '07 600 sdi with 6500 miles. Never had to do the top end, yet. Compression is 130# each. Regular maintenance & replace ware & tare items. Original track (1-14" ripsaw) will need replacement after this year. Replaced relay's. Replaced voltage reg. Make sure the voltage reg is tight, if not bolts are probably stripped out. Remove and use new bolts AND nuts. Mine has been a great, depenable sled. I have really enjoyed it.

If you would get the top end gone thru, the parts would be around $400-$500. Plus labor.

ezra

I wish my kitty cat had a odometer I would bet that thing is pushing close to 20k 1971 to 2010 on its 20th kid and countless buddies and still purring smashed up but purring