Ski Doo 800 ETEC - Will its launch affect your purchase decision

mchurch3

BRP getting the 800 ETEC out early puts me in a dillema. I am looking to upgrade to an XP Gade 800 and want ETEC, but the pricing is stupid and I know the 800R will start to look very attractive in leftovers and used.

I'm thinking 800R for a couple years (i know, the fuel economy is an issue, I have it now with 800 Ptek) and let the 800 ETEC buzz settle down and get a couple of years under its belt...then look to ETEC upgrade. Who knows...the XP chassis may have some good tweeks in a couple of years too.

What say you sled-heads.....what do you think about 800 ETEC in the short/long term.

dab102999

Depends on how often you upgrade. (some guys don't mind taking the hit on new price for new tech). As far as what u are looking for if I understand it correctly they are only releasing the eteck in short track for right now. As far as fuel economy are you saying you don't get that good with your ptek?!?! I ride hard and everytime I stop at a sign my wife is right behind me on her 07 ptek and she beats me on fuel for sure. Ridin in a lot of powder she gets 14-15, hard pack trails 16-17 consistanly. As far as etek I myself would definatly give it some time. I still don't believe doo has got all of the crank and ring problems under there belt with the 800's. Even though I own two, have had good luck with them and wouldn't look back. But now with that said you add into the equation even less oil...Oil ain't that expensive compaired to a burn down. Acording to the web site once broke in a quart of oil should last you for 264 miles. (getting 202 miles out of a tank) so with that said I think it uses more oil then the 600 etek. I have never been very brand specific but always have loved the ride of the doo. But the rev was a little cramped for me so I opted to go yammy this time. Do not regret it one bit and have made up my mind that everything else that goes in my trailer will be 4 stroke. Now all I have to do is ride a doo 4 stroke and see what I think about that, but yammy is supposed to be releasing a new sled next month also so we will see......first I gotta go buy that lotterie ticket!!!!

6mile

I will never, ever, again buy a first year engine run from any sled manufacture. The season is way to short to have to deal with the issues, and they all have them.

salmonbum

Don't let mpg be an issue. My 800r Gade gets 16 trail riding all day long and low teens off trail. They are stating it gets 19 mpg, which I know I could 18 if I rode my 800r the way they got 19 outta the Etec.

As for oil, BRP says the Etec will get 264 miles per quart of oil. Let’s say you get 1000 miles on a gallon of BRP oil in the Etec. You will pay $38 for a gallon. I’m guessing the BRP oil is all you want to run in this.

Now, my 800r runs at 40:1, and my sled getting 16 mpg. Since its carbed, I can run dang near weed-wacker oil in it and be ok. To ride 1000 miles I will burn 62.5 gallons of gas and 6.25 qts of oil. I Run sea and Snow and get it for $3.78 a qt. I used $23 worth of oil.

misty_pines

800 E-Tec

Since the 600 e-tec has been out two years now and seems to be doing great durability wise with little problems, and the fact that BRP has been using the e-tec technology for several year prior to that in their outboard motors, I feel pretty comfortable that they will have little if any problems with the 800 e-tec. According to some sources on dootalk, the 800 e-tec was almost released last year although they had to work out some fuel pressure issues which have now been resolved. I think the 800 e-tec will be as dependable as the 600 e-tec has been. I have ridden my nephew's 600 e-tec and that things runs smooth and strong. I also love the one pull starting in all tempartures. I believe the 800 e-tec will be in many of the 2011 doo models which will be published this Spring. I am going to stongly consider a 2011 Renegade Backcountry. Although my 02 600 is in good shape yet, it might be time for an upgrade if I can dust off the wallet! So to answer the question, yes, this motor will affect my purchase decision.

Last edited:
G

G

Very few problems with 600 E-Tec. Would be surprised if there are many problems with 800 E-Tec. It is really not a 'first year motor'. The SDI engines that have been in use for years are much of the basis for the E-Tecs. 'Doo has learned a lot about crank bearings and RAVE systems from the SDIs. The E-Tec 800 is really only the next generation of the SDI 800. Don't be afraid - write the check. In two years it will be hard to get rid of a non-E-Tec 800.

misty_pines

Spring Pricing

Grub makes more great points regarding the 800 e-tec engine. Also, the pricing may seem high for this early release 800 e-tec, but that is MSRP and it is the X package with all the bells and whistles along with electric start. I am waiting for the prices of the 2011s to come out in the Spring and see how they are. My guess is that the 800 e-tec won't be a heck of a lot more than a new 800R Powertek. My guess is maybe $500-$800 more which would be worth it to me. I have started to get the pry bar out for my wallet and will see what happens this Spring.

mchurch3

Thanks to all your comments....I too will be in wait and see mode for 800 ETEC. I tend to agree with grub on non-etec 800's, which might suit me fine for the short term.

erkoehler

Etec 800 probably at the end of next season for me.

My powertek 800 is only at 1600 miles so it should do for another season after this.

anonomoose

I will never, ever, again buy a first year engine run from any sled manufacture. The season is way to short to have to deal with the issues, and they all have them.

Truer words were never spoken. Little brother or not....bigger can change things and best not to be the Guinna pig on this one!

mxz007

Still waiting to see what the etecs do in the long for me. Would advise others to do as well, I'm not so much a skeptic and I'll stick with doo til the end, but I do know that the evinrude outboard etecs have had a lot of issues after about 100 hours of use. We'll see what happens being that these are completely different circumstances and conditions.

6mile

Another thinking point about the new Doo E-tec 800 is the proposed price tag. MSRP of just over 12K. That is getting up there for sure.

whitedust

Another thinking point about the new Doo E-tec 800 is the proposed price tag. MSRP of just over 12K. That is getting up there for sure.

Are you sure $12K USAD is way too high for 800etek. That will kill sales numbers for sure. I would just wait in that case until price drops. Is BRP paying back Canadian Gov bailout? I thought that was free ride just like GM in USA?

G

G

Msrp on a new Apex is over 12 K also but I have never met anyone that paid that much.