Ski Doo 98 Mach I with ignition issue

doo_dr

Ok I have an interesting one. 700 tripple in a CK chassis. The sled will run for a short while (2-3 minutes) and then just die out with no spark. After a minute it will start back and do it all over again. I know these sleds have had some wiring harness issues so I pulled the harness and direct connected the CDI and DESS switch into the stator and coils. Again, I know these sleds had stator issues and it is jut about impossible to test while running. I have swapped out CDI boxes with the same results. The stator tests OK and the pick up tests OK 99% of the time. My hunch is the stator even though I have only found open circuit a couple times when testing. It is like heat and vibration open a circuit to kill my stator, but will cool down and reconnect very quickly. When it comes to the electrical gremlins on sleds I am on the edge of my comfort zone. I would rather it just fail completely but I guess I can not be that lucky. Has anyone else ran into CK tripples with similar issues?

Thanks in advance

machz05

I had a '98 Formula III 700 and had the exact same problems you are having. I finally bit the bullet and replaced the stator. Since then I handed it down to my son and have had no problems with it. I know that's not what you wanna here but we pulled the motor checked all wiring with no problems found. We replaced the stator and no problems since

doo_dr

Thanks for the input. I did pull the motor and found wiring issues. Repaired/replaced wiring and I still had ign issues. I had eliminated everything but the pick up,the stator, and the DESS plug. Really the only component that should act as it does is the stator and it has to be the most expensive component.
Thanks again