Ski-doo e-tec reports

dpd43

It's September and I have the itch to upgrade the old sled. I really like the e-tec but wonder how it held up in the "real world". I am looking to get a Renegade or a Summit with the e-tec motor. I have seen several used Summits with the 600 carbed motor and the price and 20lbs lighter weight make it appealing but I would like to smoke a little less when I ride. Not looking to stir up any issues but would like to know how y'all have liked/disliked the e-tec. Marty-(KMS) if you read it'd be interesting to read your take on the engine. Thanks, Dave

brad

Dave,

I've got an '09 Renegade X with the E-tec, and I couldn't begin to speak highly enough about it. I put about 1800 miles on mine last year and it was flawless. It starts instantaneously, absolutely sips injection oil and gas, and there really isn't a smell or smoke when riding behind it (cold or warm engine) as I have a buddy I ride with who has this engine and we both noticed that immediately.

The summerization process this Spring was interesting and very helpful (it fogs itself automatically with the correct sequence of button pushing). You can't even buy spark plugs for the dang thing, as you have to be taught how to change them.........the ones that come in it are guaranteed for (I believe) 10,000 miles. Obviously fouling them out isn't too much of a problem!

I don't off trail ride, so I can't speak to the engine there (the Renegade is a very highly sought after "cross-over" sled so this speaks for itself), but IMHO this engine is every bit as powerful performing and feeling as my 600HO SDI, and as I never want or need to ride faster than 90 mph (which I've done on the '09, and there was more there to get if I had wanted it) this thing provides me with snow heaven; great responsiveness, proven reliability (Evinrude outboards for 5 years before taken to the sled configuration), great economy, the Ski-Doo great styling, so again, I can't say enough about it.

Hope this gives you a track to run on Dave. If I can answer any other questions, let me know. I'm sure others will chime in here too.

dpd43

Brad, Thanks. You should sell those things because it sounds like everything I am hoping the machine will be. I'm in no hurry to get anywhere, so roaring down the trail at 90+mph is not for me. Reliability is a key issue and my biggest worry is that it would need specialized attention(dealer) vs. anybody can work on it. Given all the plusses with performance, economy(fuel and oil), and the best chassis I have ridden, it's hard for me to imagine not having a 'gade or summit with the e-tec. Thanks for your time spent on the groomer.

marty__kms

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner but have been out this week attending the Sea Doo/Can Am/BRP dealer meeting for the 2010 models. Anyway, rather than type up a long what some would consider a very “biased” review, give me a call or e-mail me your phone # and we can discuss in detail.

Marty
Keweenaw Motor Sports
906-483-4841
marty@kmspower.com

dpd43

Nothing wrong with a "biased" review as long as it's an honest one! I'll try calling next week. Have a great weekend and thanks. Dave

weeski2

I have a 50th aniversary e-tec. Put on 1700 miles last season with no issues. It starts instantly, I get between 17 and 22 miles per gallon gas (prefers to runs 91+ octane). My wife has an 07 600 sdi. I put 1 to 1.5 gallons less gas after 100 miles than in hers. For oil I bought the sled with a full oil tank and I topped off the oil with my first gallon after 1350 miles. It should run longer on the next gallon as I believe they use 2 to 3 times more oil for the break-in period. The engine is so smooth you would think it is a 4 stroke. Power delivery is smooth and there is plenty for my riding. I did find that if you give it coming out of a corner the skis will come up a little. There is only a very little smoke on a cold start. Mine has e-start and no pull rope.

R

red_dog

Two of my riding crew got new 'gades with the E-tech last season and we racked up a lot of miles with them. Fuel and oil usage is unbelievable!! Like others mentioned they are so smooth, quiet, and good seat\foot positions. I liked the power and seemed to ride good but the way one was set up had too much ski lift. They have no drain for the chaincase fluid which seemed unpractical for maintenance. One of them leaked antifreeze all season, dealer took care of that. The other one is still at the dealer since the auto-fogging feature does not work and dealer is stumped...anyone else ever heard of that one?

harvest1121

I just did my chaincase on a XP this year. It was not too bad you can take the exhaust off if you want. Or just crack the case and let it drain. I took it all apart to clean everything. You have to be really careful so you do not strip it putting it back together.
Its a good summer job to hide in the garage. I bought this screw driver to help.
http://cgi.ebay.com/KLEIN-TOOLS-ST6-6-Cushion-Grip-Spring-Tool_W0QQitemZ27003743 7342QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3edf7c4b9e&_trksid=p3286.m20. l1116

longtrack

The automatic Fog works fine, the instructions are wrong, you have to partialy depress the button very quickly and it will start the process. It has stumped almost everyone at first.

There has been a couple issues with a loose Capacitor and a few Sensors acting up otherwise the ETEK has been a great Motor.

Running easy you will get 19-21 Mpg. Running hard it will drop to 14-16 Mpg. If you buy a new 1200 4 Stroke it runs 16-19 Mpg always.

We have 2 ETEKS, 1 4 TEK and 2 500 ss Motors.

redrev

keep em coming im thinking of an e tec also..sounds like a good machine just hope the power would close to my iq 600 or the old 03 rev 600 i had.

marty__kms

Redrev,

The 600 e-tec will have more available power than your 03” 600 had, as far as the 600IQ since I haven’t ever owned one I am not able to give you any meaningful input on that.

redrev

yeah i guess i will have to see what i can find a deal on...thinking etec or 800r. like a 1200 but they are hard to come by.

weeski2

one more thing about Etec's in the xp chassis; When you need to move them around by lifting & sliding you will find that your nuts will still be in place.

tr7

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!!
I can not say enough about this machine. I bought the 09 Gade X E-Tech and it is everything these guys are saying it is. Like every machine once the suspension is figured out for you it is un-real! Off trail it performs well in my opinion. If there were a gripe I guess it would be that it doesn't "lay over" as good as other machines I have ridden. Getting it over on it's balance point really takes some getting used to. If all you are doing is riding trails though, again AWESOME!

marty__kms

tr7

Next time you try and carve with the Gade, make sure your feet are out of the front footwells and as far back on the tunnel as is practical.

dpd43

I would agree on the "carving" issue. Rode an '08 Gade and thought it tended to stay flat. Wonder if a Summit tends to be a little easier to lay on its side. I simply loved the Gade with the SDI, so I can only imagine it's just that much better with the e-tec. Have to admit it was perfect on the trails and I didn't want to stop riding but my hands weren't able to grip the bars after two full days in the UP.

uncle_ed

The 2010 xp has an updated steering arm so as to reduce steering effort by 20%. I dont know if that will change how the sled wants to carve but I did notice what you are describing when I rode my nephews 09 800r. Loved the machine other than that. I would be up for a gsx e-tec if I were in the market again!
Ed

randyb

about 2k on my 09 MXZ 600 E-tec and no issues. The engine is very responsive, quiet, fuel conservative and oil friendly. Many issues on sites about fogging, I took five minutes and it was put away for summer. Nine and 1/2 weeks till Grand Marais!