Ski Doo Exhaust Valve Question

My 05 Renegade has some oil leaking out through one of the exhaust valves. I took it off and the gasket looks ok, not torn. I'm wondering what the cause of this could be.

mikedrh

So is it leaking where the exhaust valve housing (the gasket surface) meets the cylinder, out of the vent hole or from under the black cap?

eagle1

Sorry to butt in, but are cleaning valves in '16 XS pretty much same procedure?? Need to do mine haven't seen any videos on newer sleds.

Mike, it's leaking from where the gasket meets the cylinder. I haven't replaced the gaskets before but the gasket looks good.

mikedrh

Mike, it's leaking from where the gasket meets the cylinder. I haven't replaced the gaskets before but the gasket looks good.

Be sure about where the oil is coming from. The black cap has no gasket so if it's leaking internally it will run out and down the front. Pull the black cap to be sure. If it is leaking from the gasket just replace the gasket. It is possible to have crack causing the leak but that would be a very slim possibility.

Usually when you see that much goo running out you should look into the carbs. If the carbs are not sealing properly the excess fuel will mix with the soot on the exhaust valve and in the port making an oily looking mess.

eagle1

Yes 800 etec. I'm at 2,000 miles. Dealer wanted $350. Some say have to sync with buds others say never did.

mikedrh

Yes 800 etec. I'm at 2,000 miles. Dealer wanted $350. Some say have to sync with buds others say never did.

When you pull those valves they will fall apart in your hand. Be careful and put them back in the cylinder the way they came out, not a big deal to do.

momoney2123

Depends on how you take them apart and re-install if you have to resync them

You can always clean and ride it and see if you have any codes.....if you do just have the dealer plug it in and sync...

2000 miles tho....i dunno if its worth it.

eagle1

Ok, thanks. Had sled at dealer, they said showed code usually means starting to stick but not enough to throw dash light, said it was up to me. Guess I'm just gonna watch my rpm's see how it runs.

old abe

We use Amsoil Interceptor in our Doo's 2 strokes, SDI's, and Etec's. Valves stay super clean, clothes don't stink, and many, many trouble free miles.