Sled across Lake Gogebic

D

Deleted member 10829

Mark from Timberline? That does take guts. How thick is the ice? We have about 4-5" on our lake.

whitedust

Trails open Sunday & I'm sure Mark knows what he is doing but the rest of us not so much.lol It would be smart to stay off the ice for now.:)

I take it guys have been drilling holes, not just a hold my beer and watch this. Heck we've got ponds and smaller lakes frozen over in Indiana.

whitedust

I take it guys have been drilling holes, not just a hold my beer and watch this. Heck we've got ponds and smaller lakes frozen over in Indiana.

Venture north poked a hole today about 4" on his small lake in Sayner & been colder here than LG so I would be VERY careful. I'll check my lake tomorrow bigger & deeper but expect about the same thickness.

chords

This is good early solid ice. Maybe to rip accross. Depends on depth, in a bay, sandbar.
I like a string of single or below to freeze up once a lake is locked in. A COLD Snap . Our lake prob used to be Jan ~ 17th but with past warming climate it has become later to end of January more and more past 30 years for safe ice.
4 - 5 inches is good for sleds, shanty,,,. So what it makes a few noises,, its makin' more ice. It does that with 18 " ice.

chad66

4" of ice already? That's a lot. This the earliest I've ever seen ice on Portage lake/canal, not a lot so I WILL NOT be the first to cross it! But none the less there is ice already. Mark, have I ever told you that you're my hero?!

THINK SNOW!

Chad@M&M

Other than the being trapped under the ice, drowning, and death part. I don`t see the difference between thin ice and water skipping. Unless you`re the unsuspecting schmuck who follows those lone set of tracks!!

jr37

Other than the being trapped under the ice, drowning, and death part. I don`t see the difference between thin ice and water skipping. Unless you`re the unsuspecting schmuck who follows those lone set of tracks!!

It's not so much the "unsuspecting schmuck". It's the inexperienced, beginner that does not know any better. They are the ones I feel for. Same thing happens every year on the Portage canal. Tell me how many beginners, tourists, amateurs, renters, etc., look at the tracks running up and down the canal and think that would be fun. I don't find humor in that.

chicagosledder

The bottom line is it is not worth it. Years ago I was on Gogebic with a few friends and we hit some slush, I swore I would never go out on tha lake again. And yes it was January and cold. No thanks