Sled changes for togwotee

skidoodragon

John: Just woundering if any changes were needed for your ride out west. Or could you pretty much take your home sled. If so those highmarks were well earned. Labs Rock! Thank you.

skidoodragon

Just got done reading your last page of the Togwotee journal. Thanks for getting my question answered in their, on purpose or not .Worked out.
In your opinion how does the M feel on the trail? out there or back home?

A

admin

Sorry I missed this question, but glad I answered it in the journal.

As far as the sled on the trail goes, it stinks!
happy.gif

The sled pushes in the corners and is just not setup to be a trail sled. The one nice thing is the adjustable handlebar riser. It is nice to be able to drop them down when I know I am going to be sitting for a while. Keep in mind the M is not a trail sled at all. I use the trail to get to and from my backcountry spots only.

If you plan to ride the trail more than 20-30%, I would not get a mountain sled. I would think along the lines of a crossover if I were you.

-John

scottd

For a second data point, I think my M8 does fine on the trail (for what little trail riding I have done) other than the rear seems rather harsh on a less than perfect trail and I get pretty good inside ski lift. I have stock skis and mine does not push much, steers good.

Guessing the other change John definitely did was different clutch weights.

John, are you running "stock" 77's at home and any clutch changes planned with the exhaust? Looking forward to hearing how it runs in the Yoop with the pipe. No ECU changes right?

Scott

A

admin

Well, maybe "stinks" was too strong a word, but I have come across several people that complain about how their mountain sled handles on the trails and I guess I just wanted to get the point across that they are not setup for trail riding.

I do fine on the trail as well, but just do not corner anything like a short track, trail sled.

I did change the weights from the 77's to 71 MTX's from SLP with a 1 gram weight at the tip. Now that I am back home, I am running stock AC 75's, but am waiting for the 77's from SLP.

Just got back from a ride and she RIPS here in the thicker air.

-John

Firecatguy

john slp told me I would have to get boondocker box if i was to run slp pipe and y-pipe at haydays did they figure this out?or are you running one here?

y-pipe made a huge difference i think.
also dont mind how my m handles on the trail but It does feel alot like my firecat but with alot more power so the ski lift is huge but I still keep up with the "shorties" on the trail..

skidoodragon

Thanks for the extra reply John. How are the new Pups. We know, spoiled. Well I can't blame ya. Cuddley, like a fresh logging trail! I have another Q . When do you draw the line between M and XF. When do you what to bring your own sled out West or rent. I am in that BOX! I have never ridden out west but I know I would settle in fast.
Co-workers in Ogden ,Utah just got 37" in the mountains! I'm going on STRIKE. Thanks again, hope to get to the (Ride In), next year, or grab a ride with one of you yoppers.

A

admin

Rusty1577-

SLP did finish their testing at sea level early this winter and confirmed that you can run their exhaust kit in the low elevations safely with pump gas (91 octane or better). Just keep in mind that a pipe gives you more HP at the mid and high end and actually can make things a bit softer at the low end. That is why I also went with the reeds and hi-flow air intake. Woke the low end up again. The thing rips at all the RPM ranges.

Skidoodragon-

Opinions will differ, but I'd say if you are more than 25-30% on trail and your off trail does not get too crazy and is mostly logging roads and meadows, then a crossover is the way to go. If you are boondocker and only use the trail go get from one offtrail spot to another, then the mountain sled would be the way to go.

As far as when to bring your own or rent out west. If you have a sled that can handle the deep snow, then I'd say bring it. If not, then rent one that can out there.

-John