Sled wraps

tritonmark

Anyone tried wrapping their sled with a new design on their own ? Or do you recommend getting it done ? Also any tips and places to buy the decals. Thanks

dnrtheil

Lots of places doing snowmobile wraps these days. Google it!!! My older Yamaha's have custom painted hoods, my new Polaris sleds will both be wrapped with printed vinyl. I work for a sign company and we wrap cars and truck a couple fo times a week, so I am no stranger to the wrap business. I would image your local sign company can help you out also.

Good Luck - Derek

ezra

I have done a few and some of the big well known places have junk wraps IMHO way thin and kink ez and will stretch out if miss placed and try to pull off.
If I were buying I would go with Blown concepts way way thicker than the norm

alwaysright

had my first done by a buddy who runs a wrap co, 2nd one on my new sled I did on my own. not that tough, lay everything down with masking tape first to get it where you want it. I had SCS do my latest and really like it. took one of thier stock kits and changed a few things to make it unique. I think they do good work and reasonably priced. There are some kits on ebay, but I didn't want to try those.

Remember that most kits go on when it's warm and ride through -20* days so don't pull the vinal tight as it will shrink and rip or crack, just lay it on flat and get the bubbles out.

Lettertech is a paid advertiser for this site, there are in St. Paul. I'm sure others are that do this type of work too.

Last edited:

dnrtheil

Most wraps are thin, thin material conforms to complex curves better, such as car/truck bumpers, fenders on an HHR or PT Cruiser. Thicker materials will lay down easier, but might not conform to tight curves or body creases. You must use heat when going over a tight curve or body line, if not the vinyl will try to go back flat (vinyl has a memory of sorts which is to lay flat).

Good quality vinyls will not crack when cold, wrap vinyl's are designed to be stretched a little bit, (stretch it too far and the printed image will discolor or distort) that's how you get it to lay smooth on uneven surfaces, but heat must be used. We use a torch for most of our heating needs, I'll switch to a heat gun if I have to warm up a larger area at one time. The torch heats up the vinyl faster than a heat gun.

If you are applying more than one section of a wrap and the design continues across the seam, the seam must overlap (all vinyl strip over time) and you should start to squeegee in the same area of the panel as you did on the first one as the vinyl will stretch. The goal is to stretch the second panel the same amount as the first so the design will line up.

Derek

Modman440

there is a place that does wraps in ft wayne called paint the town, I had them make not really a wrap but same material for the sides of my tunnel with some dif companies on it and i put it on myself was very easy just had to use a special cleaner and a sealer. over all very easy.

mjkaliszak

I have seen some hydro dipped guns, looked pretty cool.
As far as wraps, I have done a few. Had good luck with AFX, except on the tunnel section of the new AC chassis. Had to cut & trim to get it around the tunnel support. This thread needs pics.