Slow down in the UP

larboc

Please. It's depressing watching the news and seeing another illinois, downstate MI, wisconsin, iowa, or minnesota person who killed themselves on a snowmobile and I know first responders are tired of it too. Seems especially bad this year. If you're in a hurry to get somewhere so fast you can't see the scenery, drive your truck. If you want to race sleds, take it to the track.

jebjk1

There really should be a speed limit for snowmobiles, at least on the public trails. Anywhere else, have at it.

groomerdriver

Please. It's depressing watching the news and seeing another illinois, downstate MI, wisconsin, iowa, or minnesota person who killed themselves on a snowmobile and I know first responders are tired of it too. Seems especially bad this year. If you're in a hurry to get somewhere so fast you can't see the scenery, drive your truck. If you want to race sleds, take it to the track.

Then there's the people that post on other threads saying they don't understand why anybody goes 35mph on a wide open straight trail.

Maybe they need to see what I have been through....watch a guy take his last breath after hitting a tree.....his wife screaming at him..."please don't die!!"....then helping carry the dead guy to a waiting ambulance.

I came upon this group and called 911 for them. I hope I never have to experience this ever again.

groomerdriver

If you haven't already you should post this on DooTalk and Hardcoresledder.com

Very sad. It's a **** of a wake up call to see that 18 lives are lost. I'm sure i'm not the only one that can say that I know I go too fast sometimes, and need to settle down.

snocrazy

Yeah thats it- make more rules and laws. NOT..... It will not change a thing. People will still drive as fast as they want. They roll the dice so be it. We dont need more laws and rules to protect the stupid.

How about we all have to roll our self in bubble wrap and padding so we dont get hurt. This stuff just drive me crazy.
Go live in a bubble.

jebjk1

Yeah thats it- make more rules and laws. NOT..... It will not change a thing. People will still drive as fast as they want. They roll the dice so be it. We dont need more laws and rules to protect the stupid.

How about we all have to roll our self in bubble wrap and padding so we dont get hurt. This stuff just drive me crazy.
Go live in a bubble.

So lets just remove speed limit from the highways too then! The speed limits are there to help keep people alive and keep drivers at a safe speed.
Why should a public snowmobile trail be any different? Do you really feel comfortable meeting someone on the trail that is going as fast as they possibly can?

matrick98z

With all the additional traffic in the U.P. this year due to lack of snow elsewhere, its not too surprising. Not sure making additional laws is going to help much, as enforcement is almost non existent. We put on over 1000 miles this year and never ran across an officer once. People need to slow down and leave the drinking for the end of the day after the sleds are parked.

longtrack

I have been to areas with speed limits on Trails (45 WY and MT) (50 km Ontario). I think they may only enforced close to Towns and busy areas. I have never seen a Ticket in the Paper for Wisconsin's 55 Night time Trail Speed limit.

If someone has, let's hear about it.

I have always said don't pass a Law that's not going to be enforced.

eagle1

So lets just remove speed limit from the highways too then! The speed limits are there to help keep people alive and keep drivers at a safe speed.

Ha,ha. Pretty much free for all nowadays anyway. Lucky if 10% of people do speed limit.

timo

ohhhh please...

Why should a public snowmobile trail be any different? Do you really feel comfortable meeting someone on the trail that is going as fast as they possibly can?

Wyelde

It IS a problem. There are some that can definitely handle riding at higher speeds than others. But too many are riding too fast for their ability and the trail conditions. It's pretty rare to see an accident on a straightaway. I believe some sort of speed limit would help even if it was not enforced much. We have had a 50 mph speed limit in Minnesota for years, and it has not effected my enjoyment of the sport.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I just got back from running some errands and bumped into a LEO friend of mine up here. We got to talking about all the accidents and he said to me that while the fatalities have been up this year, there have been tons more non fatal, but still serious, accidents resulting in nasty injuries. He said they are probably averaging at least one rescue a day where someone goes to the hospital with a life threatening injury. He figures the ratio of fatal to non-fatal, but serious is 4 or 5 to 1.

Short of speed limits, strict enforcement with high penalties for breaking the laws, I have no idea what the solution is. Obviously this activity we call snowmobiling has some serious problems that need to be addressed and anyone that denies that is a fool.

I guess if it were just the person riding recklessly that is impacted, it would not be as big a deal to me, but LOTS of INNOCENT folks are getting injured and several have been killed. That is INTOLERABLE to me. You kill someone while riding your snowmobile recklessly, you should never see the light of day again.

OK, I'm done. Soap box is free.

-John

blkhwkbob

My absolute first rule would be that while passing oncoming sleds, you MUST slow down to 20 mph or less. There is no reason that you have to drive your 42 inch wide snowmobile past mine on an 8 foot wide trail without slowing down. What's the hurry? If your sled is soooooo fast, you'll get back up to speed in a hurry, right?

C

Cirrus_Driver

GD - you are right, that's the sad reality of what CAN happen. I think about what CAN happen the older I get.

dpd43

Sad situation. Oddly enough I seriously considered packing a medical kit for my upcoming trip. Not sure regulation/enforcement of the speed limits would be widespread enough to make a huge difference. As I get older, I have less fun with the speed thrill that sledding used to give me and I worry more about the danger "the other guy" presents. I agree, if my own stupidity gets me hurt, that's bad on me. Not sure I could live with my stupidity hurting or killing another rider. That's why I like to ride off trail but the opportunity for that is very limited. Hope we all have a safe and excellent weekend. Can't wait.....gotta get off the soapbox and back to work!! Seeya on the trails!