Smart phone plans - any good ones for occasional phone use?

jjj70095

I am looking to get a phone that I would only use in emergency, like on a boat or snowmobile. Any suggestions? Or a plan that charges only if I am not on wifi....

I use my chromebook and a google number for all other phone calls.

pclark

I am looking to get a phone that I would only use in emergency, like on a boat or snowmobile. Any suggestions? Or a plan that charges only if I am not on wifi....

I use my chromebook and a google number for all other phone calls.
I'm not sure what your family situation is but if you have a family member that you can piggyback on their plan it might be good for you. Tracphones from Walmart might also be an option.

jjj70095

Do not have a family, but brother has US Cellular. Can i get a cheap used iphone off ebay for $200 and piggyback on his plan? He does not know he said. The phone is unlocked on Ebay. Iphone 8 used for $200.

Last edited:

pclark

Do not have a family, but brother has US Cellular. Can i get a cheap used iphone off ebay for $200 and piggyback on his plan? He does not know he said. The phone is unlocked on Ebay. Iphone 8 used for $200.
I never bought a used iphone, see what his plan offers as a phone, might be decent.

Hoosier

backmarket.com is pretty good for used phones. Bought my 8th grader an iphone SE fairly cheap there. Figured he'd eventually break it or lose it, but he's done neither in a year so far!

For your actual question - are you just looking to make calls? A smartphone might not be your best option if so. A dumb phone would have a better battery I'd guess.

jjj70095

I am just looking to make calls in case of emergency while driving, or on boat, or sled, But a trac phone minutes expire like in 30 days etc, want something year round available if i need to make a call in emergency,

yamadooed

AT&T has a plan where my 3rd number was free so I loaded a old iphone 4 on it originally. But now I just upgraded to a iphone SE 3rd gen for $400 purchase this I leave @ the cabin and it has all my apps, numbers favorites etc. as a cabin phone / backup. Was able to pick area code and prefex similar to my existing.

jshabadu

I am just looking to make calls in case of emergency while driving, or on boat, or sled, But a trac phone minutes expire like in 30 days etc, want something year round available if i need to make a call in emergency,
Are you looking at calling 911? If so, then any cellphone, whether they have a contract or not will be able to call 911 Emergency.

If your looking at calling your brother-in-law at 2AM to pull you out of a ditch once a year, then it sounds like pre-paid phone is they way to go. The minutes do expire after 30-90 days, but I'd look at it like insurance..

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Either way, you're going to have a bill every 30 days. Renew your Trac Phone or pay for cellular once a month. If it's just for winter and summer the Trac Phone would be a better choice since you'll have some down time in between seasons.

euphoric1

problem with older phones is usually they won't take any updates, if only using to make calls may be ok, not sure if it will affect that. Im more partial to the samsung phones and if at all possible see if you can piggy back someone else's plan, we have an unlimited plan with 5 phones on it, all smart phones one being the latest I phone and I have the latest samsung galaxy note and with 2 phone payments I think we pay around 250/mo, that's unlimited with 5 lines. don't know if that's high or not, been with verizon for a long time, been happy with service so dont shop around.

jjj70095

I did not know you can still call 911 on a dead phone. But how do you test that it works?? I dont want to make a test 911 call if possible...
That is really the only reason I would use the trac phone.....My trac phone is able to dial, but call does not connect for some reason anymore...

Last edited:

jjj70095

Ok I just called US Mobile, and I can get a used iphone and have to verify the IMEI (* # 06 # ) number works with US mobile, and they can set up service for a month for only 8$ going forward on my credit card. That is a good deal. The rate stays constant over time.......

Last edited:

jjj70095

I have my iphone and US Mobile service set up. How is reception in the northwoods with US Mobile service? Anybody use this carrier up north?
I am back in Illinois.

pclark

You will find bad areas with any plan in the Northwoods. I've never heard anyone say one is better than the other, reception gets better every year as more towers go up.

jjj70095

FYI- I have tested out my iphone that uses US Mobile service in the Minocqua area and it works pretty good. I use iphone for emergencies only and it is $8 a month.

Last edited: