Smoking your favorite food; tricks & tips

I have been an avid griller for a long time. Mostly propane grilling but I am not ignorant to stoking up the charcoal Weber either. About 10 years ago my THEN girlfriends Mom gave me a Brinkman Smoke n Grill as a present. This thing sat in my garage for years until recently when my NOW wife asked why I never used this thing. So, about 2 months ago I started experimenting with cheap cuts of meat, then a whole chicken, then some pork loin, then finally a 15lb turkey. All have turned out fairly well, some better than others and I am learning more with every smoke. Tonight I am sitting on the deck reading Johndee, smelling the smoke from the bullet and wondering how many expert smoke technicians must be frequent readers of this site. I predict many, as I know all this outdoors stuff intertwines quite rapidly. So, to all you culinary magicians, whats your favorite smoke recipe or any tips and tricks to smoking anything (food) that you want to share? Thanks in advance!

daytonsnogoer

Nice place to start is chicken. I take a whole chicken and slice into the breast with a knife. I then take slices of apple and stuff it down in the holes. I've done the same thing with whole garlic cloves. I do the same thing with turkeys, and I've had rave reviews. I use different woods when I smoke, and I mix them up together as well. I use a lot of hickory, but I'll mix it with apple wood for poultry. I also found a bag of Jack Daniels barrel chips and used those up with mesquite for beef. I've been on a rib kick for a while. Not to assume you don't know, but it is important to get the membrane of the bottom of the ribs before putting them in the smoker. I use a dry rub made with a brown sugar base, adding spices to taste. I usually throw in garlic salt (I like garlic) and black pepper along with a mix of other spices. Let them smoke until the meat is pulled back exposing the bones about a quarter to a half an inch. Then I put the ribs on direct fire and apply sauce as desired. I bought a rib rack at Lowes which has prongs for potatos to bake on. Did that recently and my 15 year old daughter has been asking me to do it again soon. Just keep playing around with it and see what you come up with as far as taste that you like. I try something about once a week or so, and usually give an old recipe a new twist. Enjoy it; I love smoking.

bigvin

<font color="0000ff">Dang! Now I'm HUNGRY! You Grill and Smoke it, I'll EAT it! (I'll bring the refreshments) sounds great guys!</font>

pippy_b

I just smoked a 15lb turkey over the weekend in my Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker. Total smoke time was 9 hours. I peel 3 apples and put them inside the bird. Use a BBQ chicken dry rub and coat the turkey. I then use thick cut bacon and place over the whole turkey. A little more rub over the bacon. I used apple wood and the turkey comes out excellent. Last night we made creamy (smoked) turkey and wild rice soup! Outstanding!

pete_w

I did 2 turkeys last Thanksgiving One on the lower level of the smoker, one on the upper . took about the same amount time. Sent one to work with my Wife and ate the other.soaked it first in a in an apple juice based brine. got the info on how to do it Here.I've done Standing rib roasts, Salmon, Meat loaf Brisket Pork Shoulders They have all turned out great. you can find directions at the above link for just about anything. Be sure to check the Forums.I think the Key is keeping a steady cooking temperature.
Pete

I would like to get a smoker, maybe for chicken and brisket. Any recommendations on make and model? Do not want to spend a lot on it since I probably will only use a few times per year.

HH

I have a brinkman smoke n' grill now, as I mentioned in the first post. It's not real user friendly when it comes to re-filling the charcoal or wood but for the money you can't beat it. I just went to Lowes yesterday and looked at getting another one for Up North as it also converts into just a grill very easily. It was a newer model that looked to be improved upon since I got mine. It was priced at $59. Not bad considering the Weber smoker models can exceed $200. That's my expereince, good luck.

dab102999

Watch garage sales also. Find them in un-used condition for around $15 all the time. Also salt brine is a good presoak. I soak for a day, let stand in a fridge for a day. Then smoke. For the best taste expecially a bird let it cool completelly and put in the fridge then cut off what you will eat and re-warm. you would be surpised how long that thing will stay moist if you do it this way. Usually when I get in the smoke mood, which will start up in a few weeks, my two boys, dad, and wifes grandpa come over for a day and we usually fill about 8 smokers with "stuff" and smoke away. What taste good on a smoker..huhmm...what don't taste good on a smoker.

ubee

marinate the bird in salt water overnite for the most moist bird you have ever eaten. let bird air dry about a hour before the smoker!

dognvenus

Did someone say ribs???
114042.jpg

Apple juice/brandy/brown sugar marinade
114043.jpg

The 'Ultimate' smaoker
114044.jpg

114045.jpg

hunter74

I would like to get a smoker, maybe for chicken and brisket. Any recommendations on make and model? Do not want to spend a lot on it since I probably will only use a few times per year.

Weber smokey mountain..

I will never brine... and will never have a customer complaint. Guess that's why they hire the best in the MW! Me..

happy.gif

True stuff,honest as a WI Indian slot machine.

pete_w

The nice thing about the Weber smoker is you can load it up with charcoal and get 10 -12 hours cooking time before having to add charcoal.Its also pretty easy to control the temperature.

Pete