Smoky Mountain TN

fusionfool

Well, since we had such a great time riding in MO Ozarks, we have decided to go back a bit further east in mid August. This time we are headed to the Smoky Mt's. We will stay in a cabin just out side of Sevierville, TN. 60 miles to Maggie Valley NC, and 72 miles to Tail of The Dragon in Robbinsville, NC.
Just could not pass up this opportunity when we found luxurious cabins with all the amenities for a full week less then $700. I was amazed at how many inexpensive cabins there were. I was a bit overwhelmed with all the options. We ended up just choosing the Sevierville area because it was 14 hr (900 mile) drive, and wanted to make it in one day.

fusionfool

Frnash,
Yes this is one of the best known / desired motorcycle rides listed. One of the main reasons we decided to take the trip. I had ridden the Dragon back in the early 80's on a Kawasaki Ninja, but truly just rode it for the excitement. This time I will take the wife, and truly enjoy the scenery of the dragon as well as the rest of the smoky mountains on our Harley. We have been going back to all the old rides that I was too young and dumb to truly take in the sights. Now that we are older we have so far rode Bear Tooth Pass, the Ozarks, and now off to the Smoky mountains, then next will be Grand Canyon. Funny how age makes you enjoy different things in the same old area's.

whitedust

Smokys are a busy place not like when you were a kid. Now days if a nice place everyone will be there having fun. Traffic thins once you get deep in mountains just need to get free of others then set pace & aok.

fusionfool

My main worry is someone caged, or on a bike coming around the curve in our lane going to fast. Oh wait that is kind of like snowmobiling so what am I worried about right?

whitedust

My main worry is someone caged, or on a bike coming around the curve in our lane going to fast. Oh wait that is kind of like snowmobiling so what am I worried about right?

Didn't see much of wrong lane riders or cars but yes blocked in behind slowpokes drove me nuts. Who wants to see back of someone's car when the mountain view is fabulous? We did well when we finally broke away from the cage & then kept our pace clear of others.

fusionfool

Didn't see much of wrong lane riders or cars but yes blocked in behind slowpokes drove me nuts. Who wants to see back of someone's car when the mountain view is fabulous? We did well when we finally broke away from the cage & then kept our pace clear of others.
That's the way it was for us last year on the Bear Tooth, and also the reason we rode it 3 times. Finally had a nice cruise without a cage in front of us the last time.

Firecatguy

what a great area! went down with 29 people (few from here on jd) and I cant wait till next time as I will be spending a few summer trips there love the area...we headed over to Cincinnati and jumped on the Ohio River followed to Huntington and hwy 52 though the Appalachian mountains down to the Smokies(what a ride great area) we took 11 days to go down and back stayed in robbinsville for 3 days...if you get back in the area make sure not to miss the Moonshiner or wayah Rd....

11403346_10207018697775110_1480046647610463780_n%201_zpsqlvsdi7o.jpg

11234909_10207009352061341_6772202372849686668_n_zpsnlejgarc.jpg

11140395_10206978628653407_621989888642896240_n_zpstxaymjf3.jpg

11698644_10207143276969380_7730083084966644325_n_zpslcnjwk2x.jpg

kam30

You will have a great time. we were there in 2012 and even though it rained most of the time the views are great. Talk to the local riders and they should give you some really good ideas of other places to go.

Pizza Man

We had our Friends On Wheels motorcycle rally in Maggie Valley 3 years ago.
A great area but watch out on the Dragon!!!
Crotch Rocket idiots trying to set speed/time records on there.
Great touring roads and places to see.
See the Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley, you will not be disappointed. Takes a few hours to go through it.

fusionfool

We had our Friends On Wheels motorcycle rally in Maggie Valley 3 years ago.
A great area but watch out on the Dragon!!!
Crotch Rocket idiots trying to set speed/time records on there.
Great touring roads and places to see.
See the Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley, you will not be disappointed. Takes a few hours to go through it.

My fear exactly the Dragon with how popular it is now; trying to avoid any encounter with the crotch rockets, cars, or trucks. We plan to ride it during the mid week and hopefully the traffic will be lower. We do plan on going to the museum "Wheels Through Time" while we are down there, that will be a separate day ride though.

fusionfool

You will have a great time. we were there in 2012 and even though it rained most of the time the views are great. Talk to the local riders and they should give you some really good ideas of other places to go.
We had similar conditions. It rained both days we rode the Dragon. Was not a total wash out but enough it slowed everyone down. The entire area was so perfect, we have decided to go back again next year. My only complaint would be how much they have destroyed Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are by making it such a tourist trap. Oh well we can just go around those areas. Over all could not have asked for a better place to ride.

Ricardo

Went to that area last year, absolutely beautiful, the riding and the scenery. Personally, I enjoyed the Cherohala Skyway more than the Dragon, not as tight or as crowded. Visit WildRides.info for a map showing many great rides in that area. I will be going back!

snomoman

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but definitely get yourselves on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it starts down in the great smoky mountains, it’s 465 miles long, there are no stop signs, speed limit is 45, scenes are breathtaking, been on it at least a half a dozen times, to really enjoy it it takes a few days

dfattack

Man you resurrected an old thread. I saw FRNASH had a post and was thrown off for a second. :oops:

Last edited:

wiscrev

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but definitely get yourselves on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it starts down in the great smoky mountains, it’s 465 miles long, there are no stop signs, speed limit is 45, scenes are breathtaking, been on it at least a half a dozen times, to really enjoy it it takes a few days

Maybe next year for me------love the area.