Snoring

coach

I have 3 brand new CPAP machines for sale. These really work for the snoring problem.

IM me for more information.

slednorth

Use the dental appliance ... try the store bought type first if u want to save $$. Snoring is not good for you...it can restrict airflow to the lungs...a "mini" sleep apnea. The appliance is a small investment in the big picture, and the dental appliance is usually a successful solution. If it does not help, u should have a sleep study.

1-snowbullet

I Found Shaking my wife after they wake me from a good dream works for awhile . also when sharing a room with a few buds and they snore a pillow up side the head or a left over brat or hot dog in the mouth works real fast .. Other than that Ear plugs work great !! l.o.l.

arcticgeorge

Yes losing weight will help. You decrease the fat tissue in and around your nasal/throat area and it allows more air flow.The exception being my father in law, he wasnt over weight was a runner as matter of fact, snored badly so he had surgery to kinda tie up some skin near the throat area but it didnt stop completely. He still snores. My wife said the same when my weight went down. Unfortunately it went back up.

maxwell

I (used to snore), and sleep really good through the night. I was amazed when I went in for a sleep apnea test. I would stop breathing for 60 seconds at a time.
I now use a CPAP machine, and sleep even better.

kaboolie

Boy I wish you'd talk to Squat about getting use to the cpap machine. His sleep study showed he stopped breathing on average evey 2 minutes and at the most got 3 minutes of rem sleep. He claims he sleeps better without the machine!! Seriously!!! I know I sleep WAY better when he uses it.
Snoring is Often a sign of sleep apnea(can be a very serious health problem, since many people stop breathing briefly when snoring) I had the study and have been using a cpap for 4 years now, takes a bit of getting
used too, but feel better rested!

noura

There are three different causes of snoring.

Tongue-based snorers: The tongue sits too far back in the mouth at night restricting the airway. To diagnose, try making a snoring sound and if you can then try to make the sound again while gripping your tongue between your teeth and closing your lips over it, if you can no longer make the sound you are probably a tongue-based snorer. There are special mouthguards that will bring your tongue and lower jaw forward.

Mouthbreathers: Snorers who breathe with their mouth open at night. You can diagnose this by checking if you tend to breathe primarily through your mouth during the day. A mouth guard will usually remedy this.

Nasal snorers: Occurs as a result of structural problems within the nostril ie one nostril is weak or a deviated septum. To diagnose stand by a mirror and hold one nostril closed, then breathe in. If the other nostril also closes it is probably weak and the cause of your snoring. The best cures are nasal dilators and in extreme cases surgery

Grant Hoar

Really? 32 replies from this group and not one mention yet of duct tape? Tip, only use it on your buddies though, not yourself!

Sleep study and CPAP, hands down if it is a severe case. I was stopping breathing 53 times an hour, which doesn't leave much time for sleeping. Best thing I ever did. Plus, it does keep your buddies from threatening to shoot you.

wirev

Used to be on a CPAP----hated it. Never could keep it on right. After we moved here, dumped the CPAP and now use 2 pillows. 95% effective.

favoritos

Interesting that this thread has come back to life after six years. Snoring still happens?
I had never heard of nasal dilators until they were mentioned in the revived thread.
Most of my riding buds use CPAP machines. I'm glad they do. It has changed where we can stay. Used to need separate rooms if I wanted to sleep. They do not carry them on the sleds, so the overnight stops away from base are a quick reminder of the old days.
I have caught myself snoring at random times lately. The sinuses just start getting more snot some days. I have no idea what changed? Hot steam seems to help loosen the gunk. A good hot water shower helps.
The dilators seem like they might be worth a try with the price.

cgreene

Maybe you should try going to the doctor for an appointment? I dont know but Ive read somewhere that theres a health reason why people snore.