Snow Boot sizing

Hoosier

Random question - but we don't have a whole lot to talk about these days in seems...

Wondering how you much bigger you usually go with snow boots compared to your regular shoes. Most of my shoes are size 12, and I normally buy boots or hiking shoes in 13s for thicker socks and also because I think my feet stay a little warmer if the boots aren't tight. Anyway I came across a clearance/fire sale and of course they just have size 14 available. Wondering if I should take a chance or pass...

Probably just a preference question but thought this group might want something to talk about...

mezz

Footwear on a fire/clearance sale I recommend pass. You more than likely won't be able to return them if they don't fit right & then you're out the purchase price. Just my .02. FWIW, boots are generally sized accordingly to your measured shoe size, but, nothing better than getting your footwear from a place where you can actually try them on & judge for yourself first hand what fits best based on the size & cut/style of the boot or shoe.

wiscrev

Footwear on a fire/clearance sale I recommend pass. You more than likely won't be able to return them if they don't fit right & then you're out the purchase price. Just my .02. FWIW, boots are generally sized accordingly to your measured shoe size, but, nothing better than getting your footwear from a place where you can actually try them on & judge for yourself first hand what fits best based on the size & cut/style of the boot or shoe.
This+

whitedust

I don’t take chances with snowmobile boots too expensive and I would go with the boa system wear my snowmobile socks and need to walk in them if you have to hike out of a mishap also need support to standup ride. Lots of variables to consider as well as foot insulation inserts. Same thing with snowmobile jacket have to have my sixsixone vest,back thing and bibs on to be right sized.

Hoosier

What brand / model? How much?
Motorfist. The one with the higher amount of insulation. I have a pair of motorfist boots, but the lower insulated ones. Kind of like klim adrenaline/arctic, so I'd have one with more and one with less insulation. I'm going to get them back out and walk around a bit but I'll probably pass. I got excited since they were marked down to $70 (or maybe it was $80) but I thought it was my size, but it's one larger so it's probably not worth it.

I have quite a bit of motorfist gear and like it but textron has apparently killed it.

old abe

Motorfist. The one with the higher amount of insulation. I have a pair of motorfist boots, but the lower insulated ones. Kind of like klim adrenaline/arctic, so I'd have one with more and one with less insulation. I'm going to get them back out and walk around a bit but I'll probably pass. I got excited since they were marked down to $70 (or maybe it was $80) but I thought it was my size, but it's one larger so it's probably not worth it.

I have quite a bit of motorfist gear and like it but textron has apparently killed it.
Say Hoosier, I thought AC absorbed Motorfist several years ago?

Hoosier

Say Hoosier, I thought AC absorbed Motorfist several years ago?

They did, and the original team stayed on and cat put some money into it and it grew quite a bit, but everyone got canned by textron and they outsourced it to powertex. I knew a couple people in it (one came from klim and another from polaris) and other than the dumb name I've liked all the gear I got from them.

old abe

I happened to come upon a sale on boots at Cabela's 5 years ago or so. Ended up buying the black Inferno Boa boots. Went with 1/2 size larger the my regular boot size. T have been nothing but totally satisfied with them, and very nice price too. Much better boot than the Klim boots imo.

Hoosier

I happened to come upon a sale on boots at Cabela's 5 years ago or so. Ended up buying the black Inferno Boa boots. Went with 1/2 size larger the my regular boot size. T have been nothing but totally satisfied with them, and very nice price too. Much better boot than the Klim boots imo.
I'll take a look. Cheapest klim boots are now $300....I think every bit of gear I have has been bought at significant discount

old abe

I'll take a look. Cheapest klim boots are now $300....I think every bit of gear I have has been bought at significant discount
I will check my boot size to make sure Hoosier.

one thing to note when buying snowmobile boots, is the soles don't flex on most boots. I think they are more designed for off trail riding, but for on trail riding, this might be a deterrent. They do make snowmobile boots with flexible soles, but you have to look for them. I find the non flexible sole a bit hard to walk in.

durphee

My feet suck and will sweat in almost all scenarios. I actually wear a basic boot that I have had for 15 years (arctic cat) and wear a basic everyday sock. I was wearing a too highly insulated of a sock and causing more sweating from my feet. wet feet = cold feet. Since the change I have not had cold or wet feet. Basic thing I do with my upper body also, just wear a light under base layer and a T shirt, I bring a hoodie just in case but rarely ever use it.

My feet suck and will sweat in almost all scenarios. I actually wear a basic boot that I have had for 15 years (arctic cat) and wear a basic everyday sock. I was wearing a too highly insulated of a sock and causing more sweating from my feet. wet feet = cold feet. Since the change I have not had cold or wet feet. Basic thing I do with my upper body also, just wear a light under base layer and a T shirt, I bring a hoodie just in case but rarely ever use it.
I think this is such a common mistake, people think they have to over dress and put too many layers on their upper body and especially their feet. The reality is that this causes the most problems with getting cold and damp, because the gear won't ventilate. I'm like you, I wear a normal everyday sock (not cotton), and a lightweight fleece under my jacket without the insulated liner. I never get cold, never get damp. I keep the liner in the trunk bag, but man, it's has to be well below zero for me to use it.

old abe

I will check my boot size to make sure Hoosier.
Hoosier, I'm a bit late in getting back with you. I checked my Cabela's Inferno Boa boots. They are 1/2 size larger than my normal, usual shoe, boot size. I mostly just wear my Ultra Light Wick&Dry Lycra liner socks along with Carhartt "Force" socks. However on a long bag trip, I do take along my Cabela's Ultra socks also. But have never had to use them. Perhaps now I'm on these dang blood thinners I may need them? o_O If I remember, I paid around $140, $150 for the Inferno's. Good luck always.

old abe

FYI Cabela's shows the Inferno Boas on clearance. This is the same way I purchased mine at the end of the season clearance pricing.