Snow in MN recommendations

snowchief

Looking for somewhere with good snow in MN for a club ride possibly next weekend. We normally like to go Mcgregor, Moose Lake areas do we don't have to drive far for a big group. Anyone have updates on conditions around let say Hinckley, Moose Lake, Carlton, Mcgregor, Grand Rapids, anywhere really just looking for the closest place with decent conditions, thank you

SledTL

From what I can tell everywhere is borderline junk right now. I am suppossed to go up to Outing/Remer next weekend and it ain't looking too promising at the moment. Storm never got the cold air it needed I guess....

matti

From what I can tell everywhere is borderline junk right now. I am suppossed to go up to Outing/Remer next weekend and it ain't looking too promising at the moment. Storm never got the cold air it needed I guess....

I'm not sure if this is useful for you, but the NWS reported that Outing got 6" of snow overnight/this morning.

SledTL

I'm not sure if this is useful for you, but the NWS reported that Outing got 6" of snow overnight/this morning.

I've seen some reports on the MN Snowmobile FB page in the aitkin/grand rapids/outing area that looks like things are rideable. My guess is that they are going to let everyone ride this weekend and then go groom either sunday night or monday. I think we will be able to squeeze a ride out now......

TheDoo

We were up in Moose Lake Saturday and the corridors are beat up especially close to town, we did hit some very good trails toward Denham so yesterday we headed towards Lake Mille Lacs and it was fair to good. Mungar down to Hinkley was also fair to good.

Carbide

I nearly went up by Moose Lake Saturday but decided the reports I was seeing were too spotty.
Wish I had gone anyways...

Sledhead850

My brother and I are going to try the Taconite from Grand Rapids tomorrow. Not looking for perfection, just wanna ride.
Anyone have any info other than the MN DNR site?

SledTL

Rode north central MN this weekend. 50 lakes and crosslake area was a rodeo. Emily/Outing was smooth perfection as well as Remer area. 130 miles all rideable and snow covered.

Anyone ride the Moose Lake/McGregor area over the weekend? Looking to head that direction this weekend. Appreciate any information.
Mankato area received 5 and they groomed the Sakatah trail but not rurual trails. Need 6-8 more to ride across the fields in this area.

Sledhead850

We rode the Taconite on the 23rd. Left from the trail head parking lot in Grand Rapids and went up to Scenic Pines for lunch then went about another 20 miles up the Taconite from the Herb Bengston trail intersection.
Some sections were fantastic, mostly okay with a little SNIRT here and there. This area is 6" of snow from being really good. The groomer operators are doing an AWESOME job with what they have to work with.

snowchief

Anyone ride the Moose Lake/McGregor area over the weekend? Looking to head that direction this weekend. Appreciate any information.
Mankato area received 5 and they groomed the Sakatah trail but not rurual trails. Need 6-8 more to ride across the fields in this area.
Our club is staying in Aitkin, I believe you brought your kids over for youth training at one time! Iv heard Mcgregor is not too bad, state park is groomed and tamarack club is grooming!! Maybe we will run into you I drive a black 850 assault with little line green yellow on it.

Hey snowchief. that is correct on kids sled training. I just live down the trail from you in ML. send me a PM on how it goes. I now have a BB game saturday night so will no be going north this weekend.