snowbike tales

warner

ok i said i would so here goes ( give my opinion on the snowbike i put together)
the bike=2013 ktm 350xcf fuel injected,e start 91 hours on bone stock motor...super fun bike to ride in the summer months
the track kit=2017 timbersled st120 raw, spring ordered from Kip picked up in october.
had the fork seals replaced on the bike and heavier springs put in i think they are .049 if memory serves me correct..should have went little stiffer but there aint no book on this yet.
worked with Bill from thermobob and came up with a thermostat kit for this bike..very easy install.
sealed up the stock airbox as best i could while still letting the engine breathe..cleaned the stock airfilter to remove all oil residue and installed the supplied outerwears cover for the filter that came with the timbersled kit.
installed snowbike kit..directions were just ok..they did not spell out for my bike which spacers to use on the snowbike mounting arm to get the chain to line up for the bike sprocket so after a little measuring and several fit up tries i got it in..then hooked up the supplied brake line to the handle bar brake lever..struggled some to get that all bled out.
installed brand new motobat battery and made up some jump leads so i could connect a car battery for extra starting power in the cold winter weather if needed.
3" of snow showed up one weekend and i just had to take it out..wow it was different! 3" is no way even close enough for this thing...the front ski was just digging into the grass but at least i got to ride it( cudnt resist) next week i took it out in the ditch where there was prolly 10" of snow and holy man could not wipe the smile off my face..my drive is 1300' long and i was in 6 th topped out on the way back..plenty of power.fast fwd to christmas eve..took the bike up north around suring wisconsin by my dad and rode in an open fields with some hills and 12-15 " inches of untouched snow...ya again could not wipe the smile from my face and cund't stop riding it..i was cutting across the sidehills with ease just like riding a bike..went back to his house and got my pro rmk and worked the same sidehills...haaa thats alot of work i'll take the snowbike for sidehills please. so now i got about an hour of seat time on this thing..fast fwd to jan 10 was in cooke city montana with it..lottsa snow there,we went for a ride that afternoon while we got settled in and i had some learing to do as i fell over with the bike 3 times that afternoon in front of my pals..come to a stop and loose your balance put foot down in 4 feet of powder and BAM u fall over..balance is key when stopping..so anyway i rode the bike everyday all week except one day..tuesday night we got 3 feet of fresh powder and that lil snow bike ripped through 5-6 feet of untracked snow up in the mountains..up hill,down hill,side hill,no hill,through the trees,jump,ohhh mman it was awesome..the clutch and tranny got a good workout for sure as i beat the living heck out of that snowbike laughing all the way..the air box was so plugged with snow i didn't know how that ktm was running but it was! clean that snow outta there and go rip! bottom line great kit and bike combo..easy to ride and learn on...trust that mondo big front ski it won't let you down! and have a friggin blast..the mountain sled guys would get stuck and i would just motor up to em get off,help dig them out start that lil thumper up and tear off laughing...can you tell i had a great time? haaa you bet i did..somebody offers you a chance to ride one don't be afraid just do it !! i plan a few mods for it but it really worked great as is!

mrbb

nice to hear you are happy, I would love a set up like that
grew up on MX bikes riding them AS is , on snow, and then studded tires as money came in
in the early 80's had a Chrysler Sno Runner, small 70 something cc ski up front and mid body and a small track, NO shocks any where
and as a kid I ran the snot out that thing way under powered even for a smaller kid
but FUN when you were on it
I can only imagine what a true real MX bike today would be like with a ski and tracks

Wish I was younger and in better shape, too screwed up back now for one I think, my mind would get my body in trouble on one! as desire is always more than what the body can handle these days!

have to ask, what clutch do you have on the KTM
as I would think some are better than others on snow bikes?

kip

Awesome Warner! Glad you're loving it:) I hear that from everyone that puts one together. They just get off it giggling and laughing!

warner

the bike still has the stock ktm clutch in it..i will replace that before next season.
Kip have you sold many kits this year? what are people buying? the short track or longer track kits? what does the tss option cost ?
regarding riding it on the trail...trail manners are just fine on nice groomed sections just trust that ski up front...and no groomerdriver it does not tear the crap outta the trails.whooped out trail sections however are not that smooth on the snowbike with the solid mount rear skid strut,,,got bucked all over the place from the rear skid..tss shock option i'm guessing would help that...bottom line i'm trying to say is you don't have to have the 7000.00 dollar kits and a 10,000.00 dollar bike to have serious fun on these things..am i selling my RMK? no i will keep and ride both ..i would like to see the snowbikes become legal to ride the trails in the midwest although i don't see myself riding it for 100 plus miles a day.

kip

The TSS runs 1,200 Warner. I've been selling both 120 and 137 kits about equally. Yeah, they really aren't made for the trail. If you ride off trail like it's designed for I think you'll find that fixed kit to be acceptable. People that have them absolutely love them:)