Snowmobile GPS thoughts?

SledTL

Okay I know there is tons of threads and forums talking about sled GPS's but I am a bit confused by it all. I have a new ski doo with the 7.2 gauge, so nothing on my dash like ridecommand or 10.25". I am thinking about possibly getting the glovebox extension and mounting a GPS on it. I ride in MN and WI. I don't really enjoy having to pull my phone out of my pocket at every intersection to check if I am going the right way.
-There seems to be tons of models and names of GPS units, can any work for the application? I.e. I can find one on marketplace rather than new.
-How does one go about loading trails onto the GPS? Is there yearly upkeep?
-Will any models do turn by turn routes for you?
-Do they actually work well with trail accuracy, or just keep using phone?

Garmin Zumo with VV Mapping has worked great for me on both the sled and SxS. The Zumo is actually marketed as a motorcycle GPS which is shock and waterproof. Turn by turn is awesome and it even shows property ownership as private, state or federally owned. I have had one on both mine & my wife's sleds since 2012.

goofy600

I have the extension and the garmin that Doo sells and then the V V mapping download. I have never updated since new 4 years ago and can say like the apps things change faster than updates ever will. There are cheaper ways to go with different gps’s but I wanted it simple. The glove box extension has options with cell phones holders also. As stated though trails change and most changes are not going to happen quickly.

SledTL

What about options like Nuvi or Drivesmart? Both options that I have on marketplace near me but assume they are suited for cars instead of outdoors.

The only time I've struggled with this Garmin VV Mapping setup was planning a saddle bag trip from central lower of Michigan to central Upper Peninsula. It wanted to take me through Chicago as it knew I couldn't cross the Mighty Mac via sled. Ended up having to plan two trips. One to Mackinaw City then resume from Saint Ignace to our final destination.

wisco-mb

I've been using the Garmin Drive with VV mapping. I'm on my 2nd one. The power connection got loose over time, and would not power on. I expected that just with the beating on the sled. Worked well for 3 years though. $60 for used ones, so not too bad! I did silicone the edges as others have recommended. It held up and no issues with moisture. The drive is a "indoor" one.
I use an aftermarket USB cable. Issue with factory Garmin cable is GPS thinks it's in USB file transfer mode.
I upgrade VV mapping every couple years. It's only $10.
I do like that it also records your tracks. I can export them on my computer at the end of the season. You can also import into Google Earth.

One thing I didn't like with the Drive, is that it will autozoom out when you go above a certain speed. So when you're on a lake in a blizzard, it was hard to stay on track!
Some countries allow the option to disable autozoom, others don't. I used Australia because it keeps other user interface elements the same as the US. But you will need to change some settings like miles(vs KM), and US time(vs Military).

wiscrev

Garmin Zumo with VV Mapping has worked great for me on both the sled and SxS. The Zumo is actually marketed as a motorcycle GPS which is shock and waterproof. Turn by turn is awesome and it even shows property ownership as private, state or federally owned. I have had one on both mine & my wife's sleds since 2012.
I have a Zumo on my trike and love it. Easy to setup and easy to read.

Hoosier

Just depends on what you want to spend. In our group we have cheapo nuvi's with vv mapping trails on them. Garmin tread is on the other end of the expense side.

old abe

I have the extension and the garmin that Doo sells and then the V V mapping download. I have never updated since new 4 years ago and can say like the apps things change faster than updates ever will. There are cheaper ways to go with different gps’s but I wanted it simple. The glove box extension has options with cell phones holders also. As stated though trails change and most changes are not going to happen quickly.
Yep, X2!

SledTL

Just depends on what you want to spend. In our group we have cheapo nuvi's with vv mapping trails on them. Garmin tread is on the other end of the expense side.
So with the vv mapping I just need to have a GPS that can take a file upload I take it? I read on his website quite a bit, and it seems like its an extension to the existing mapping that comes on the unit. I am also thinking I can find some information online about how to weatherproof something like a nuvi. The one I see on marketplace is a pretty nice size screen.

Hoosier

So with the vv mapping I just need to have a GPS that can take a file upload I take it? I read on his website quite a bit, and it seems like its an extension to the existing mapping that comes on the unit. I am also thinking I can find some information online about how to weatherproof something like a nuvi. The one I see on marketplace is a pretty nice size screen.
Yes you can either download the maps or get a chip from him to install. You can use silicone to mostly waterproof them.

I've seen people running smaller tablets or even their phones, but I think you'd have to find one that can function in the cold. Upside of that is you can run the polaris or doo trail apps if you prefer that, but the vv mapping ones are really good.

2TrakR

Entirely separate map than what comes on the unit; built-in maps are shut off when using our maps. Preloaded memory card is included in the package, no uploading or computer needed. Please look at the GPS list, as not "just any" unit will work (referring to the knock off units on Amazon, etc).

There are lower-cost cases to make the car models waterproof. Ziplock bag will work for the budget minded (what I used to run mine in ~20 years ago). Lots of guys run the car models without any case or extra protection, very few reported problems related to weather and of those a ziplock bag would have been a quick fix.

lofsfire

I have had a Garmin Nuvi version on my sled since 2011ish. With that said I use the Polaris app to track my rides. My phone is a Samsung s10e it a small phone compared to the phones now. Since it is 3 or 4 years old. The battery is not lasting as long as it did. So I ordered USB charger from Amazon that replaced my cigarette light. Since I had constant power on the sled for the phone I took my GPS out of the case/ mount and put my phone in it. It worked but one thing I did notice was, the Polaris app likes portrait mode the best. Mainly due to their logo and tools on the screen and my phone being smaller. Also, I have not updated my Garmin in years now. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. You defiantly know when the trail changes but is some areas it just a reroute not a land owner thing because sometime they are just forest roads any ways. So its nice to know you can take this turn off or not. With the Polaris app you lose this but there are way to load Garmin compatible software on you phone plus other apps that I want to look into. For me I use the GPS more as a paper map that can be zoomed into... I rather figure out where I'm going than have turn by turn...

I should note that if your a 2 stroke your power might be AC and not DC. You will need a rectifier to cover it. Unless you have a battery to wire it directly to.

As my buddy and I were coming home he was asking how I like using the phone. Then we got to talking and the case he had for his phone was by Quadlock. He bought it for his Gator, Tractor, and Mountain Bike. Well I started looking into the cases and ultimately order a new S24+ and went with a system called RokForm. Very similar to the Quadlock but this worked better for me. I just got the case on Friday and I'm my phone should be here today. There are a few other brands and I also say KTM has one as well.

Here is the GPS in a case off of Amazon. Sorry best pictures I could find.

You of course need a case for what ever GPS unit you get.

I also had a hardwired power adaptor for the GPS unit.

ABLVV84yZXoUsQiVgE5yW0Mwn5uDd2aL43EN9n1mrVvFV8hnu4Wa-Rj0XKDJQnkc2SOgIz2soGUTlN7zUVi0uji0kXU5MjBBDr503AOShz2SPBRB10oXD_6zhratM5ZVR6UX7ItdVL3X1TfQFsML8a49Uwo6Yw=w1284-h963-s-no-gm

ABLVV86y_W7ofuyrIfbHtjqlXwY4YQVR5SBFnkanDL9q5GcJUlHazaf2PqUnC8GOcbntwmVQt3-DuvsB3wins07lnKeNSlIrjpEaAfskdZMxTwM1vu4giyUqWgcAGKWkLgSkDBwpdzPvBc33R5ba0VFr_RLtrQ=w1284-h963-s-no-gm

Here is the new RokForm Mount I just received. I cant wait to try it out... RokForm did say they are coming out with magsafe wireless charging mount in the next 3 months... It sounds like it would be everything I ordered from them as a kit except the phone case.

ABLVV85cZ8cZ7w7GOWyw9XAP80_CgRGTzE8iy1nim5uN6wGQFGID5FmpV7ELENblItqBNoCFsIkAfKduIP3pG9R61kjr-b2jshDzAsZcbdNbbmDP-leDll95atTAhoCSSzRqEvk6DxiwCQdcyflf6SyO6Ldcpg=w1560-h878-s-no-gm

ABLVV84wswFtn-pwe_FkhJ_2aaI4Dgg8cdXuvjbrh_v68svHmNnvugpe5u4mghuAImld5RyiU-JC625GfxEt-gPteQTBAPcWat2vXlotS76lnGX6KwOXyWzVrfRe8otpQkKn-Gm3FmS6gyLtBL_kuUuhOxsGlA=w1560-h878-s-no-gm

Last edited:

SledTL

I have had a Garmin Nuvi version on my sled since 2011ish. With that said I use the Polaris app to track my rides. My phone is a Samsung s10e it a small phone compared to the phones now. Since it is 3 or 4 years old. The battery is not lasting as long as it did. So I ordered USB charger from Amazon that replaced my cigarette light. Since I had constant power on the sled for the phone I took my GPS out of the case/ mount and put my phone in it. It worked but one thing I did notice was, the Polaris app likes portrait mode the best. Mainly due to their logo and tools on the screen and my phone being smaller. Also, I have not updated my Garmin in years now. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. You defiantly know when the trail changes but is some areas it just a reroute not a land owner thing because sometime they are just forest roads any ways. So its nice to know you can take this turn off or not. With the Polaris app you lose this but there are way to load Garmin compatible software on you phone plus other apps that I want to look into. For me I use the GPS more as a paper map that can be zoomed into... I rather figure out where I'm going than have turn by turn...

I should note that if your a 2 stroke your power might be AC and not DC. You will need a rectifier to cover it. Unless you have a battery to wire it directly to.

As my buddy and I were coming home he was asking how I like using the phone. Then we got to talking and the case he had for his phone was by Quadlock. He bought it for his Gator, Tractor, and Mountain Bike. Well I started looking into the cases and ultimately order a new S24+ and went with a system called RokForm. Very similar to the Quadlock but this worked better for me. I just got the case on Friday and I'm my phone should be here today. There are a few other brands and I also say KTM has one as well.

Here is the GPS in a case off of Amazon. Sorry best pictures I could find.

You of course need a case for what ever GPS unit you get.

I also had a hardwired power adaptor for the GPS unit.

ABLVV84yZXoUsQiVgE5yW0Mwn5uDd2aL43EN9n1mrVvFV8hnu4Wa-Rj0XKDJQnkc2SOgIz2soGUTlN7zUVi0uji0kXU5MjBBDr503AOShz2SPBRB10oXD_6zhratM5ZVR6UX7ItdVL3X1TfQFsML8a49Uwo6Yw=w1284-h963-s-no-gm

ABLVV86y_W7ofuyrIfbHtjqlXwY4YQVR5SBFnkanDL9q5GcJUlHazaf2PqUnC8GOcbntwmVQt3-DuvsB3wins07lnKeNSlIrjpEaAfskdZMxTwM1vu4giyUqWgcAGKWkLgSkDBwpdzPvBc33R5ba0VFr_RLtrQ=w1284-h963-s-no-gm

Here is the new RokForm Mount I just received. I cant wait to try it out... RokForm did say they are coming out with magsafe wireless charging mount in the next 3 months... It sounds like it would be everything I ordered from them as a kit except the phone case.

ABLVV85cZ8cZ7w7GOWyw9XAP80_CgRGTzE8iy1nim5uN6wGQFGID5FmpV7ELENblItqBNoCFsIkAfKduIP3pG9R61kjr-b2jshDzAsZcbdNbbmDP-leDll95atTAhoCSSzRqEvk6DxiwCQdcyflf6SyO6Ldcpg=w1560-h878-s-no-gm

ABLVV84wswFtn-pwe_FkhJ_2aaI4Dgg8cdXuvjbrh_v68svHmNnvugpe5u4mghuAImld5RyiU-JC625GfxEt-gPteQTBAPcWat2vXlotS76lnGX6KwOXyWzVrfRe8otpQkKn-Gm3FmS6gyLtBL_kuUuhOxsGlA=w1560-h878-s-no-gm
I have a new XRS 900 in my garage now, so possibly looking at the glovebox extension Doo has for the GPS mounting and charging. I actually have an older Garmin laying around my house, so I am thinking of making something work with that.

lofsfire

Well with that said the other thing you mentioned was waterproofing. I know a few people gave you their take on cases including the one I had above... But I'll tell you honestly if it's tucked up under the windshield like that at least where I'm thinking it goes on the Ski-Doos I'd say 99% of the time you're probably going to be fine without it having a cover. Unless it's a really rainy or wet snow and it's able to get from the back side of your windshield I don't think you're going to see any snow accumulate to even be able to melt. I wouldn't leave it out there overnight though. Unless your sled is covered. And if you do leave it out overnight expect in the morning for the unit to be sluggish. The LCD screen freezes up a bit... Not a ton but you'll notice refreshes are a little slower.

Besides a plastic bag the other thing you could take a look at is on QuadLocks website They have what's called a phone poncho. This is obviously made to fit over their phone cases but I'm sure you could find something comparable in size. Then it might allow you to still clip it in to the Ski-Doo glove box mount. Good luck I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

old abe

I have a new XRS 900 in my garage now, so possibly looking at the glovebox extension Doo has for the GPS mounting and charging. I actually have an older Garmin laying around my house, so I am thinking of making something work with that.
We use the Doo Garmin, and the glove box extension and mounting. Does all we need, solid mounting, charging, and weatherproof. Easy to remove, and take into the eating, and bar stops to review, or plan ahead. I'm a big fan on KISS!