Snowmobile Yellowstone. Who's done it?

mikes99ss

One of my bucket list items is snowmobiling in Yellowstone national Park. Where do I even begin to plan something like this. Keeping costs in check would be huge. I'm just a working class guy and I know these trips can get real $$$ quick.

srt20

Fly out. Rent a car. Stay in West Yellowstone. Call the guide company that takes you into the Park.

You have to rent one of their 4s sleds and follow their guides to go into the park. You cant take your own sled and go on your own.

I know its on your bucket list, but I would research it more and see if its really something you are interested in. Its very restricted.

old abe

Research this trip as much as you can as it is not nearly as good of trip as it was before the park was restricted/commercialized. You have limited viewing/destinations on the tour packages. How ever you can enter a lottery draw for a "self guided" tour. But there very many windows to jump thru such as dates and so on for the self guided to work. Worse yet no refunds. You will still need to rent a park allowed sled too. Have been there before and after and won't be going back now that it is the way it is. For several years prior to the restrictions, some businesses there had the delusion that it would turn into a gold mine for them. Wishful thinking at best. There again be careful what you wish for as your spoils may well out way your gains. West Yellowstone is a ghost town in winter season now as to what it was like before the restrictions. Good luck, and do your homework well.

garageguy

Did it four times on a bus trip with a local club lots of fun and the park in winter is somthing everyone should see. Stayed in west Yellowstone rented four-stroke for the park a day or two, rented mountain sled for the rest of the week

wirev

Many times when I lived in MT. Only 3 hours away. This was in the early 90's before the restrictions. Have been in Yellowstone in all four seasons and winter is absolutely the best time.

skiseadoo

The most fun is riding outside the park! Both on and off trail. If you like very slow riding and sight seeing, it is worth riding in the park for 1-2 days in you life. If you have ski-doo 900 ace, they are on the acceptable list for the park. There are very limited companies with permits these days. Yellowstone Adventures is the local ski-doo dealer but I think they no longer guide in the park. However Ken will get you pointed in the right direction. It is a long drive but worth it if you enjoy riding your own machines. There are some decent stops along the way if u want to break up the trip. How long do you have for vacation?

I have been out there 6 times in the last nine years and will keep going back. There is no better all around riding. There are ways to manage costs, such as using the grocery store instead of restaurants. The restaurants are nothing to get excited about so easy to go cheap.

mikes99ss

We would have a week and I live in Upper Michigan so I'm about a pretty hard 2 days drive. So I would have 5 days out there.

wirev

Nah, A decent push the first day and you could be @ West Yellowstone mid-afternoon the next. Bismarck, ND is about half-way for me. Stretch it to Glendive, Mt and second day is a piece of cake. I used to make Butte, MT in one day from here, of course, not pulling a trailer. Speed limits in ND and Mt much higher.

snowhawg

Good ideas in the previous posts. I've done it 5-6 times, although it's been 15-20 years since the last time. I would check out Yellowstone Tour and Travel http://www.yellowstone-travel.com/ to at least get an idea of package costs. The packages usually include lodging, rental sled, clothing if you need it and a guide.

This is how we always did it. I would suggest a three day stay there with the first day being the guided tour of the park, which is a must. The other two days, I would get a good rental sled for mountain riding, take a guide and experience excellent mountain riding. That's where the real fun is.

A good guide will have several great off trail play areas to bring you to that it would take several trips to find.

T

Tracker

I have been multiple times and guided out there....first I always choose who has THE BEST SLEDS for rent to get to the top of the matterhorn without extra plugs in yer pocket....and that's this place and I usually rent (tours consist of aboot 15 guys) the M6000 153 for cheap and can climb the matterhorn and has EFI (very crucial for out west elevation changes IMO)...and some of us get the M8000 162...that's what I had last time and I recommend that sled...it takes a punishment and less to fix if damage

We have two full time certified mechanics on duty at all times. We service and repair all makes and models of snowmobiles and snow bikes. We carry a large inventory of common parts. We can usually have the repairs completed the same day. We are the only authorized sales and service dealer for Silber Turbo in West Yellowstone. We carry 100 LL fuel for Turbo sleds.

Shop rate is 80.00 per hour – minimum ½ hour charge

For more information or to schedule a repair, give us a call : 406-646-7855

http://highmarkrentals.com/app/rentals/

http://highmarkrentals.com/app/

the second most important thing is the insurance or crash list...which one do they do...I have done both ways and the crash list can be cheaper sometimes due to deposit monies...see what they offer....then the guide....its a lot of money for a guide so if you want it on the cheap then you contact the area your looking at going to and get all manners of trail maps sent to you 6 months in advance...pour over them everyday so you know the entire area ahead of arrival like back of hand...or so you think...LOL...and you can do it without a guide....without a guide just follow basic survival rules

most avalanches form on the northeast faces...so be wary or don't go on that side

never ever never ever go BELOW THE LAST ROAD....almost always a huge drop off into a river...don't ask

take a lunch and water everyday...everyone...no questions asked

take stuff to survive a night in a snow cave if needed

be ready at all times for the crack of an avalanche...been in 4 and lost no one and no one got buried even...always go WOT at 90 degrees towards the trees and get into the trees deep and fast...don't stop till yer blocks away...the trees block and dissipate it....but can kill you in the trees if your caught

don't get scared or worried aboot any of these things....just be on the look for them as you want all your friends and family members on the home flight and to have a good time....if you don't like the looks of that hill and or conditions...dont go...as BUSTER (red adiar's firefighting buddy) once told me....theres another hill round the corner....try it one or two days without aguide and then if your not comfortable get one for the next 3 days...I always got a tour for everyone that included airfare/gas/lodging/sled/ride/oil/meals....all inclusive....if you get 20 to go with you they offer one trip for free...dats you....its not that expensive either...but then again I guide meself and I pick a package that's off season and a place that's is out in the boonies...I have also done a VRBO with some of our own sleds and some rented but we all stayed at a chalet that slept 20 or so..at the beginning of this is the chalet and one guys sled from Minnesota...the Minnesota guys usually bring de own sleds...and this chalet was aboot 30 feet from trail...it was cheap too IMO...well hope that helps somewhat...enjoy and be careful above all

I on right...dats me youngest bro on left...I was warning em aboot avalanches and he wanted me ta shuts it up...LMAO

whitedust

One of my bucket list items is snowmobiling in Yellowstone national Park. Where do I even begin to plan something like this. Keeping costs in check would be huge. I'm just a working class guy and I know these trips can get real $$$ quick.

I think you need to define what it is you want to do powder ride or trail ride? My my bud took the guided tour rental sled rail ride with his father and son and hated it just tooooo slow and the guides were very strict. He said the park was beautiful but would never do it on snowmobile again and he was on the reservation list for a very long time. If you want to do the trail ride tour I would take a ride with my local club see if you like the pace if not forget trail tour thru Yellowstone it will be even slower some of those peeps first time snowmobilers and the guide has to be sensitive to the weakest rider.

T

Tracker

I think you need to define what it is you want to do powder ride or trail ride? My my bud took the guided tour rental sled rail ride with his father and son and hated it just tooooo slow and the guides were very strict. He said the park was beautiful but would never do it on snowmobile again and he was on the reservation list for a very long time. If you want to do the trail ride tour I would take a ride with my local club see if you like the pace if not forget trail tour thru Yellowstone it will be even slower some of those peeps first time snowmobilers and the guide has to be sensitive to the weakest rider.

agreed I would only do the park ONE DAY....and there is a speed limit of 25mph...really slow when your doing it...and ranger has a radar gun and WILL CLOCK YOU....but there are some pluses...one is being able to weave between 50 buffalo so close that the nose breath goes on yer arm...and you can come across wolves feeding on an elk....or a moose close up....eagles...and the gysers...and you will learn how to PROTECT YOUR LUNCH from the ravens that know how to open a sled compartment or backpack....LOL...usefull for after the park on the outside...you will also learn the boundaries for riding outside the park...the cool snow coaches and ford vans on tracks...and the gas pump at the top that's under snow aboot 20 feet but you can still pump gas....go thru sulivans pass and experience some MORTAR ROUNDS taking out the avalanche before you go thru....theres a lot of cool stuff...but one day will be enough for an average sledder....personally just outside the park is THE MOST AWESOME place...THE ELK LAKE LODGE FOR LUNCH...if you can find it....out side island park head northwest and you will encounter some of the BEST RAVINE RIDING in the world....you go up the ravines wall and highmark as high as you can at 60mph...and then you head 90 degrees towards the bottom of ravine at 100mph and then up the other wall to high mark again....all while climbing....1000's of feet....you will be worn out...its like a sledders half pipe when you look back and see 15 sleds all doing the same snake line and climbing towards you

one other thing....if you want MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE out of any machine...you use...ONLY CHEVRON PREMIUM WITH TECHNOLINE ADDITIVE....it am gonna be goodski...I use it all the time for spot on throttle response in elevation...well that along with CATS EFI system...nothing beats a cat in the mountains IMO

https://www.google.com/maps/place/E...103b404d9bd336!8m2!3d44.671887!4d-111.6318219

T

Tracker

if you want to guide yourself you do this...everyone...I suggest getting a guide for the park IMO...have fun

http://provalenslearning.com/yellowstone-snowmobile-education-certificate

Each snowmobile operator, including the trip leader, must successfully complete this course prior to your snowmobiling event. The non-commercial guide (the trip leader) must be at least 18 years of age and possess a valid driver’s license by the first day of the trip.

BAT sled list
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/newbatlist.htm

BAT rental list
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/snowmobilevendors.htm

this place has sled insurance...we got the 600RMk's one time since they use way less gas you can run longer between stops...used CHEVRON with TECHNOLINE also in these sleds
https://www.yellowstonevacations.com/yellowstone-tours-activities/snowmobile-rentals

Last edited:

mikes99ss

What I want out of the trip more than anything is to experience the park in winter. Being a sled guy it's the only way I would consider doing it. Figured I would bring a few Trail sleds with and do some riding outside of the park just to fill in the gaps.

gkolar

When our family went out there for a winter vacation we chose to do a van with snow track modification to tour the park. We have sleds and can ride them anytime (assuming snow). As others have indicated there are all kinds of restrictions. Many of the people who do these park tours have never been on a sled, it slows the group down more than the speed restrictions. To ride the park was on my "bucket list" as well, but when we researched all the different options, the snow coach let us see all the spots we wanted. Yellowstone in winter is worth every $ you will spend. Do it.

T

Tracker

What I want out of the trip more than anything is to experience the park in winter. Being a sled guy it's the only way I would consider doing it. Figured I would bring a few Trail sleds with and do some riding outside of the park just to fill in the gaps.

ix nay on the your own sleds aye....if you ride like I do...then no...rent...good chance of wiping yur sled out for entire season....UNLESS...you have like 1.5 lug or more and more than 144....you will dig out forever and a day...and the trails....are not like the trails you are accustomed too...they are short from hill to hill....possibly have 4 foot moguls...I do know some sweet trails to ride but they are not near Yellowstone...for good trails you HAVE to avoid people at all costs....one other way for yer own sled....is if you go later in the year when less chance of avalanche and the snow is setup good for a trail sled not to dig in so much on hill climbs....I suggest april or end of march or may maybe....lolo hot springs is the place to take yer own sled....but I don't recommend that even...I rented....always....we have caught a sled on fire....you gotta feather the brakes going 100+ downhill or you boil the brake fluid and walla.....mr toads wild ride again....we have sheared off an 8 inch diameter tree with one a-arm gone....had a sled stuck at the top of a 1000 foot drop off into a river...had I not got it out...which takes massive balls of steel....it would of had to be extracted in summer by horses or helicopter...and that would be your sled sitting there for months in the outdoors above a cliff....these are only a few of DONT TAKE YER OWN SLED....the Minnesota guys do it but they don't follow me up the matterhorn they usually wait at the bottom because of the carnage that can occur....they see if I make it first on me rental...if you have gone before then fine you'll know if you can bring yer sled...trust me...on first time out in an unknown area....its a RENTAL fo show...and don't let me scare you away...I am just trying to save you some money and heartbreak and so you have a good time with no bad stuff happening....like GKOLAR says....Yellowstone in winter is worth it....but just one day IMO....LOL

mezz

ix nay on the your own sleds aye....if you ride like I do...then no...rent...good chance of wiping yur sled out for entire season....UNLESS...you have like 1.5 lug or more and more than 144....you will dig out forever and a day...they are short from hill to hill....possibly have 4 foot moguls...

Took my 144 with a 2" paddle to Togwotee, in February, with over 400" of continuous snows, NO PROBLEM. You Just have to know how to ride in the deep! Heck, did for years on a shorty, there were no "Mountain Sleds" & when they finally made their debut, they were only 136" with a .85 lug.:highly_amused:-Mezz

srt20

Theres alot of trails by West Yellowstone. If you stay on trail, or even if you go off trail in a tracked up area all you need is a trail sled. I took a trail sled there a few years back when I took the wife along. My switchback went to the top of Two Tops.

Just be advised, there's not much for bars/pit stops on the trails. A few bars down in Island Park, and a bar or 2 south of Big Sky. There's also a safety hut inbetween Island Park and West Yellowstone.

I will say, if they get a dumping, dont take your trail sled on a trail that hasnt been groomed or packed down. We came across a group that got their mtn sleds stuck right on the trail last year. Was in a higher elevation area down by Black Canyon.

longtrack

I had my 1200 Grand touring up to the base of Jefferson and on Two Top many times.

All the Park rentals are governed at 35mph. They are mostly 900 Grandtourings and they have around 9000 miles on them when they are 2 years old.

When I was there in July buying a Sled the Christmas holiday Season was already booked up, So if you want to go in the Park I would book soon.

I myself have no interest in going in the Park and I already have BAT approved Sleds.

Togwotee or Lava Mtn. area a better choice.