Snowmobiling with a handicap

billyclub

Snowmobiling with a disability

My father who is a quadriplegic (c6/c7) for 25+ years has never let his ability stop him for the love of Michigan outdoors. He is an avid hunter and explorer to this day, but has yet to try out snowmobiling. Before his accident, I remember when I was a kid, him and a few buddies would always take a week off and snowmobile across the UP. Now I think it's time to some how figure a way to get him on the snow trails. Question I have, is there anyone out there today who have seen or know of someone with an ability and still enjoy the outdoors during winter? I've seen a web site from Mike Schlappi who is paraplegic and snowmobiles, but my father's ability is a little different. I thought of just strapping him down on a two-up sled and taking off. But the risk of that would be throwing him off the back or turning around and finding him turned into an ice cube. Is there any type of enclosed sled or authorized vehicle that can be rented to get him out in the back country during winter?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jimfsr

I dont know where you could rent one, but if you could find one of the ski doo Elite side by side type sleds they made a few years ago, that might be just the thing. They are kind of like a small car with twin tracks and auto type steering.

jim

can he sit on his own? i'm sure you could get a groomer driver to take him along for a run, or you could meet up with the groomer at a crossroad for a short jaunt, i believe some groomers have comfy passenger seats

98panther

Hhmmm... I know most here think these are a creation of the enviro whacko's

But a Snow Coach Tour sounds like it might be a pretty good option in this situation.
Doubt anyone runs one in the U.P. though, Yellowstone might be where you'd have to go to find them.

Maybe something someone in the U.P. should try.

I met a Guy on the trail 2 years ago and He was paralyzed from the waist down so He made a Velcro strap ( a big one ) and strap him self in . Good luck with everything,

Usd2bable2ride

My father who is a quadriplegic (c6/c7) for 25+ years has never let his ability stop him for the love of Michigan outdoors. He is an avid hunter and explorer to this day, but has yet to try out snowmobiling. Before his accident, I remember when I was a kid, him and a few buddies would always take a week off and snowmobile across the UP. Now I think it's time to some how figure a way to get him on the snow trails. Question I have, is there anyone out there today who have seen or know of someone with an ability and still enjoy the outdoors during winter? I've seen a web site from Mike Schlappi who is paraplegic and snowmobiles, but my father's ability is a little different. I thought of just strapping him down on a two-up sled and taking off. But the risk of that would be throwing him off the back or turning around and finding him turned into an ice cube. Is there any type of enclosed sled or authorized vehicle that can be rented to get him out in the back country during winter?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, my name is Ed and I'm a T-10 complete paraplegic. I actually broke my back on trail 2 in Bessemer in '03. It was because of an improperly marked trail.
I have never tried getting back on but have always wanted to. I have a lot of friends that still ride and hope to one day figure out a way to get back on a sled.
I recommend what other's are suggesting here but with you father being a quad and having little mobility is way too risky to just strap him on a sled.

Good luck,
Ed