Snowmobiling with your kids

elf

Anybody who has read my posts or seen the pictures I post knows that we are always taking our kids with. They have been coming with us since they were 1 1/2 and 3. First they started in a Equinox snow coach and then a couple yrs later they started riding on the sleds with us. They were putting on over 1000 miles/yr with us when they were 5 yrs old. They were tearing it up on a 120 when they were 3 & 5.

The whole point of this post is now my daughter is 12 and riding on her own and I couldn't be prouder of what a great job she's doing. We don't ride as far or as fast each day but today we were cruising the trail at 30+ mph and she was right behind me, staying to the right just like she's supposed to. I think all those yrs of bringing them with is paying off. Now just another winter before my son can go on his own.

durphee

That's great elf, I have three boys and they love to go riding with me when we get the chance. Although, we have small four wheelers so they ride those. I'm hoping to get a small sled next year.

rocketman356

God bless yaa,,,,,, We did the same thing with our two sons,,,,,,,re model a cat kutter I think thats what they called them back then and they use to fall asleep hanging on the bars in front of me then on thier own sleds at 10 and 12 had the hemlet radios and mirriors to keep them inline.Started them racing with us on the minis then gradually would let them race up to the 1000 improved sleds.Never the big open mod or outlaw sleds,,,can't bring them home busted up yaa know

Last edited:

russholio

We're fixing to take our granddaughter on her first ride, heading up Tuesday. She'll be three in March. Never know for sure what will happen, but she likes to sit on the sleds, loves to be outside and is game for just about anything, so we're hoping she'll follow our footsteps into snowmosexuality!

79_srx

My daughter started riding a jag 440 when she was 5, then she turned 12 bumped her up to xc 600 now at 13 shes on a summit 146 and loves it. her 11 year old sister is on the xc now. there both 70lbs . its funny watching people ask me how old she is and why shes on a big sled. must be a age thing but im having more fun riding with her then my friends

Football coach

Houghton.jpg I'm in the same boat, my kids have been snowmobiling since they were old enough to sit on a sled. They are all older now and they all ride their own sleds and I hope to one day be able to ride with my kids and my grandchildren. Exposing my kids to these types of activities at an early age has developed their desire to pass the snowmobiling bug onto their kids one day. Here is a picture of my wife and younger son from last year at the top of Brockway Mountain.

fredster

We got back into the sport when my son (his handle on here is Vector08) was 7 and he rode 2-up with mama. Got him on his own sled (Yami 340 Ovation) at age 10. One of my best memories is him getting a snow day and me taking an impromptu vacation day and spending the day riding the White Pine trail. Perfect conditions and just the two of on the trail for about 150 miles, it was awesome.

Since then he has moved up to a 440's and then a 600 and now his current Vector. He does his own sled maintenance and takes pride in his ride.

He is now 19 and lives for snow. He is a very responsible rider (actually rides a bit slower than me, amazing) and demonstrates all the maturity and respect of someone twice his age. This weekend he ran the groomer for our snowmobile club and has officially surpassed me as being part of the 'in' crowd in our club. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Fredster

simonsr1

I have been snowmobiling for 22 years, have 4 kids 12 year twins, 11 and 6, they all have been riding since they were 3, my parents are up in calumet so we visit them twice during the winter months and my wife and I would take 2 out one day and the other 2 the next, we usually would ride to copper harbor or twin lakes and they would be falling asleep by the time we would get there, occassionally their head hitting the kill switch, have lunch at the mariner, beer belly or fence lake lodge, now I have come to the time when Im thinking about getting the older ones their own sleds, so all 4 of us can go out together, which means I need a bigger trailer, or I'll just leave their sleds in calumet with my p's,

does anyone have any suggestions for a starter sled, my kids are on the smaller side so I would need something lighter, preferrably low horsepower like a 340, and Im kind of impartial to polaris, I think an indy lite would be perfect, but havent seen too many for sale

ibendwire

elf-

We have done the exact same thing as you. Now my youngest is 16 and both my daughters are excellent drivers. It is amazing how well they can handle a snowmobile. The last time we rode my daughter brought her "boyfriend" along and he does not have his permit to drive so she did all the driving. When he got home at the end of the weekend the first thing he said to his dad was, "dad, we need to get snowmobiles".

79_srx

My 13 year old 70lbs started on a jag then xc 600 now at 13 on summit rev, you can find the old xlts indy 500 and xc for cheap. i found the wedge is good stable low to ground but still has 10in travel ,and parts are cheap.
I have been snowmobiling for 22 years, have 4 kids 12 year twins, 11 and 6, they all have been riding since they were 3, my parents are up in calumet so we visit them twice during the winter months and my wife and I would take 2 out one day and the other 2 the next, we usually would ride to copper harbor or twin lakes and they would be falling asleep by the time we would get there, occassionally their head hitting the kill switch, have lunch at the mariner, beer belly or fence lake lodge, now I have come to the time when Im thinking about getting the older ones their own sleds, so all 4 of us can go out together, which means I need a bigger trailer, or I'll just leave their sleds in calumet with my p's,

does anyone have any suggestions for a starter sled, my kids are on the smaller side so I would need something lighter, preferrably low horsepower like a 340, and Im kind of impartial to polaris, I think an indy lite would be perfect, but havent seen too many for sale

RVR RNR

I have 3 step kids that we have exposed to all aspects of the sport (riding, grooming, marking and brushing). It has given them an understanding of what it takes to make it all happen so they have a better appreciation for it. At our club's chilli feed last weekend our 12 & 15yr. old daughters sold almost $2000 of raffle tickets! Hopefully these are lessons that will help form their character as they become adults. The middle daughter doesn't like sledding all that much but, that's ok. We support her in her interests and everybody's happy. :)

Bradzoo

Also look at Indy Sport 440 fans my boy's started out with them fairly indestructible.

Bradzoo

snowshoe

Radar Run 2013 (26).jpg Radar Run 2013 (25).jpg Radar Run 2013 (24).jpg Radar Run 2013 (20).jpg

We dont have any snow to ride the trails currently but I've raised my kids on the sled as well. Here's some pictures from our club's Radar Run this last Saturday. They were helping me out at the starting line. I especially like that last picture. He's thinking hard about something, I wonder what?

anonomoose

It really doesn't matter WHAT you do when you spend the time with your kids...as long as they have fun...and you are there to enjoy them and what you are doing.

Be sure to be safe, but take the time to take the pictures....because before you know it...the ride will be over and they will be gone...to college, married and too busy to go.

It's all about quality time....drink it in...it's life at it's finest. Pity those who have never known what all this means and don't have the time to spend it with the kids. I believe that they were dropped on their heads as children by parents who also didn't want to spend the time with them.

russholio

We drove to Mackinaw City today to show Addy how much fun snowmobiling can be. We are staying at the Comfort Suites on Huron Street where the suite is $69/night and includes a full hot breakfast as well as an indoor water park. She'll be 3 in March.

We decided to put her gear on and then just ride around the parking lot for her first experience. She loves it and after a few turns around the lot, she pointed that she wanted to go out on the road. No harness tonight but we'll be using it when we hit the trails tomorrow.

Here is a pubic link to my wife's Facebook page where you can see photos of our trip. She'll be adding more tomorrow and the next day!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200461027908677.2203971.1246233375&type=1&l=ffd97b7540

Last edited: