So Where Do We Go From Here?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunday night's we always looked forward to one of John's Journal entries. Well, that's not going to happen, but I thought I should put out something for those wondering of our future here at Snow Central. I've had a number of people ask where things stand now that John is gone. The short answer is, I don't know any more than you at this time. I did receive a short email from Nora stating that she hoped to keep things up and running. But if you've ever lost a family member, you know there's a thousand things that need your attention, not to mention the grief we deal with. I'm sure that John's website is far down the list of priorities right now. If and when there is news of our future here, I'll be sure to pass it along. John put a lot of time in to developing this asset and I think he'd want us to continue.

In closing, I'm reminded of the scene in the movie, Forrest Gump. Forrest has been running continuously across the country and finally decides to hang it up. I think it's symbolic of John's presence among us, thousands really that came to JohnDee.com for weather, conditions, a laugh, or problem solving. Suddenly, it's over and we're wondering, "Now what are we supposed to do?"

whitedust

Idk John left us suddenly but I think he probably discussed the future of Snow Central with Nora among many other things as my best guess. As a membership we know the rules and how John wanted us to conduct ourselves so follow the rules and keep on keeping on. Only website suggestion I have is to hook up with a link here to a weather source for the UP and northern WI so we have some idea of the current and future winter weather conditions. So many of us planned our trips around John’s forecast or simply started our days with a Dee forecast as a routine. It will take time but Nora will find her way eventually and we will respect whatever that will be. 👍

pclark

John created a true monster, with that I mean a huge following. Selfishly, I, like others, hope this site continues, mostly as part of John's legacy but also for the fact that many of us have met each other here and shared stories, rides, life, garages!, etc. These are certainly trying times for the family and it is their decision, whatever happens, I consider it a priviledge to have gotten to know a lot of people here and hope we will continue for the years to come. It is the only social media site that I utilize and don't care to use any other site to be real honest with you.

Hoosier

Selfishly I hope it can continue. There's a tone on this board different than most others, and it doesn't have the keyboard warriors for the most part either. Members have always been quick offer advice and help solve issues and just share their stories. And there's some good natured disagreements of course too.

It feels small and petty to think this way, but I was thinking I've checked in hear nearly daily during the season for 20+ years dating back to my college days and at least a couple times a week in the off season for that long too. If nothing else to read the journal and see what life is like for a guy with a great attitude living out his dream in the northwoods

bayfly

As with anything, there needs to be a lead person to make this work. Gary, you seem to be someone who John trusted to keep the site going when he was not able. While I am pretty sure others will pitch in as needed, can you take the lead to figure out how to keep the site functionable?

euphoric1

I agree 1000% with pclark and Hoosier " as part of John's legacy" "many of us have met each other here" "only social media site that I utilize" "there is a tone on this board different than most others" there are many more things that could be said but I for one selfishly hope as well that the site will continue too, and its vision and conductivity will remain unchanged. I had told whitedust that I hope one of the manufacturers wouldn't pick it up and change it into one of their formats because none of them compare to the John Dee site, never have and never will IMO. I have no idea what it takes to operate and maintain a site like this and for Nora to say she hopes to keep things going, she also knows and realizes the importance of the site to John and all of its members and also speaks of strength. I hope for a thousand reasons this site is here to stay, I have many who I consider my friends, some of which I have met in person and some just through text, either way I look forward to every time I pull up the site to see what everyone is doing, the weather and who might need some help. I hope its here to stay and goes un just as it has from its inception.

kirk600

This is what I have experienced, a very close friend of mine had a racing message board(speedtalk.com) and he also passed unexpectedly at a young age in 2018.
The wife let it continue but made it clear that it was for sale, as she was already employed, and had family that needed her and vice versa.
Not really a apples to apples comparison, but she did sell it, to a business owner who allowed the forum to continue virtually the same....and also made some tweaks to increase revenue. He also changed the banner to remember the originator and honor his legacy. The new owner was a long time member.
I must add, it was never a site with a personal attachment between the owner and the members and visitors, very much unlike John Dee.
I suggest we all take a deep breath, keep the board positive and helpful, and remember that John is still watching so honor his legacy.....and think snow!

Kirk600

whitedust

As with anything, there needs to be a lead person to make this work. Gary, you seem to be someone who John trusted to keep the site going when he was not able. While I am pretty sure others will pitch in as needed, can you take the lead to figure out how to keep the site functionable?
Gary has a real job too and I appreciate all he does for Snow Central. No one person without ownership can take complete charge of the website that’s too much to expect. Nora will figure it out in time.

dfattack

Gary has a real job too and I appreciate all he does for Snow Central. No one person without ownership can take complete charge of the website that’s too much to expect. Nora will figure it out in time.
I'm assuming John had people helping him. Would make sense whatever the future holds that same person would do the same.

whitedust

I'm assuming John had people helping him. Would make sense whatever the future holds that same person would do the same.
Yep Johns maintenance people should continue on it’s the ownership decisions that have to find new beginnings and they will in time.

mezz

I hope that it can & will continue. I've been on here since day one, was even visiting it before it became a forum. Like some others here, it's the only social media I've been involved with seriously, dabbled a little with snowwest & arctic chat, but no where near the level of JD's Snow Central. This arena is truely an extended family.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
There’s a lot I don’t know right now but one thing is for certain this site will continue.
John loved you all and you all were an extension of his family.
Obviously there won’t be any weather updates but I plan to keep everything going including journals.
Our sweet Gracie had planned to write a journal this weekend. She asked if she could❤️
John and I talked on Monday about the AL cam and getting it up and running. He said,”it just might need a reboot”. I’m hopeful I can handle that one.
It would make John so so happy to know this site lives on. It will never ever be the same that’s for sure.
Thank you all for the emails, messages and memories you’ve shared. I’m reading them all mostly through tears and some smiles thinking about all the wonderful memories he had with you all.
It’s going to take some time for me to figure out the guts of this site….how to add or update cams etc but I promise we will get there.
If you were a snow church fan go watch the last few minutes of his last video in the spring.
Again thank you all for the support and love

misty_pines

Nora - Thank you so much for this update. I did watch the last few minutes of the March 30th Snow Church video and it was very fitting. My prayers continue for you and Gracie and all of John's loved ones!

m8man

Nora - thanks for the update, JD was a great man. I had run into John in Dreamland this summer and we chatted about how the steep and deep was for the young fellows now.......

Take care and sending prayer to you, Gracie, and the family. He was such a positive role model, i think we all can learn something from him.

m8man

eagle1

Great to hear from Nora and to hear some thought has already been put in as to future. Sure there is plenty people in know that would help with cams if wanted to keep that going.
As far as discussion board would be great to keep that going too!! Certainly a invaluable tool for us all that use it!
Biggest problem with discussion boards and websites in general is they're dying breed really. Look at average age on here....is there anybody on here even Indy_500's age let alone younger? Everything is Facebook now days🙁👎.
Hopefully it's not too much of burden and we're able to keep things going!!

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing I will promise, I won't delete the entire discussion board again....🤣😂

Nora, Scott Hennessey does a great job with web cams, if you need help, let him know, or message me, he is up there right now for the week.

Thanks for keeping the site alive.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bahahaha.....I remember that. Lol. So did you know you did it?? What was that phone call like calling the boss??😆😂
I knew what I did about 3 minutes after I did it. I was like omfg. It was late, John was already in bed. I sent an email, and told him to call me in the morning. He just laughed about it! That was John though, he never got worked up about much! Of course, the top posters were mad as hell lmao.

hermie

Wow fantastic to see this site will live on. I will miss John's snow church dearly but I am so happy to hear there will be a journal to still read. Thank you Nora and looking forward to reading the journal's from you and Gracie. So sorry for your loss he will be missed by so many who lives he has touched 🥲.