Someone has to start this......

jr37

Lets here your favorite place to camp, and why.

For us it is the Big Eau Pleine County Park. Located about 10 miles from Mosinee,Wi. We like the big, wooded sites. About half with electricity, no water. Nice area for the kids to play, lots of trails and wildlife. Not the greatest for swimming or fishing, but that is ok with us.

polarisrider1

#1 St Ignace straits state Park. get to go to sleep looking at the Bridge and listening to the water on the rocks. #2 my place in Irons, because it is all there. #3 would be camping on my boat at South Manitou Island because it is so remote. #4 any place on the Hook (term for camping on a boat) no elec. no cable tv, no dock. #5 Sturgis South Dakota because if I have to explain you simply would not get it anyways. #6 any place my friends want to camp is fine with me. It is all about spending time with them. #7 would be an all nighter with a group **** bent on survival camping in the mountains of Montana in the dead of winter. preferable in the warming hut at "top of the world" getting to use all my gear in the garden tool bag for a practice night. Am I twisted? YES I AM!

Last edited:

landoman

Twelvemile Beach at Pictured Rocks. Will be there again the first week of August. Only issue is first come first serve on sites so midweek is best to grab a lake site.

snow_monkey

I purchased a new travel trailer when I was 22 and dragged it through Michigan for 8 years. Most of our adventures were in Lower Michigan to save on fuel. We never liked big crowds and gravitated to the campgrounds we felt had special appeal. Port Crescent in the thumb was one of our favorites due to the proximity to the Detroit area. Our next favorite was the Rifle River State campground, tons of space, multiple lakes, and great canoeing on the Rifle river. Many of my friends would search out local county campgrounds which are not as well known and some had great facilities.

mjdeutsch

anywhere there are friends gathered. we have a late fall outing with about 80 people every year it is great to see everyone as I moved away from home anout 10 years ago. we prefer state parks cause of the trails and woods. Found a great private park in Ludington called Poncho's pond, it is luxury rving not primative. I have camped my entire life in tents to rv's to caves and tarps and under the stars. We took all 3 of our kids bu their 3rd Month of life, it is just great family time for us.

ill marty

Our favorite place to camp is at our camp in Ishpeming. friends sometimes bring their motor homes or travel trailers. one more week and we will be up there for 10 days. Im finally going to get rid of that silly aluminium storm door and put up a wooden one. Adding a hitch on my four wheeler so i can pull a trailer to gather wood. Do alittle fishin on deer lake and the greenwood resevoir. Visit with our yooper friends and live the dream for 10 days.

Bradzoo

The community park on Drummond Island ranks right up there, as does the Straits State Park, and Pioneer county park north of Muskegon, and at least a half dozen state forest camp grounds that I can't remeber with out looking them up

MZEMS2

We have a seasonal site on Lake Petenwell on the nothern end of Adams County in WI. Big lake that offers a little bit of everything, and plenty room for it all, over 23,000 acres. We camp at the Adams county park. We got one of the newer sites in their recent addition. They let us clear as much as we wanted to make our site as big as we want. So, needless to say, we have a nice big site. they don't mind, after all, if we pull out, people will be fighting to take over our site, and the county won't have had to do anything to improve it. Win-win.

bartski

Our favorite place to camp is Lake Chippewa campground its about 13mi south east of Hayward wi great fishing, nice beach and great family appeal(vollyball,baseball courts, playground equip, minigolf, water wars ect..) we have been up there twice this summer one 3 dayer and a week during 4th of july.
Bartski

Polarice

We like Rocky Mountain National Park in CO. We stay at Moraine Park there. We've tented it there and now we have a 19ft Hi-Lo (much better than a tent). There's no power there but generators are permitted for certain parts of the day. They also have a dump and fill station.

We go around the 4th of July. The days are hot and nights are very cool. Perfect for summer! It's just a hop, skip, and a jump to the stream for excellent trout fishing. We go on hikes to different mountain lakes for trout also. Our most recent trip we saw black bears, elk, moose, a coyote, marmit, and deer.

I highly recommend going there at least once in your life!

If you miss the snow, you see a WHOLE bunch in July! We even had to walk through a lot of it to get to the different lakes!

Last edited:
For local camping, we love Lake Dexter County Park in Central Wood County. That's in Wisconsin. The sites are nice, the showers are clean, and the lake is nice for the kids to swim in. Early Summer and later in fall produce best fishing. Mostly it is bass, crappies, northern. We also love to go to different campgrounds in the Indianhead area of WI. Names escape me right now. We are kind of restricted though as we have a 26 year old daughter who is in a wheelchair. So we usually look for grounds that have excellent handicapped sites. Dexter has that-IN SPADES. THey also have a nice shelter with electricity and picnic tables to use for large gatherings. First come first serve each day. Hardly gets used.

jr37

For local camping, we love Lake Dexter County Park in Central Wood County. That's in Wisconsin. The sites are nice, the showers are clean, and the lake is nice for the kids to swim in. Early Summer and later in fall produce best fishing. Mostly it is bass, crappies, northern. We also love to go to different campgrounds in the Indianhead area of WI. Names escape me right now. We are kind of restricted though as we have a 26 year old daughter who is in a wheelchair. So we usually look for grounds that have excellent handicapped sites. Dexter has that-IN SPADES. THey also have a nice shelter with electricity and picnic tables to use for large gatherings. First come first serve each day. Hardly gets used.

We tried Dexter County Park last year, and the North Wood County Park a few weeks ago. We liked them both, and plan to return again. My boys enjoyed that driving through the water to enter the campground at the North Park.

02zr600

camping...

I like to camp at nuketown by the swingset with a mp5k rapid fire... haha. we actually dont get to camp as much as we would like to due to work and kart racing.

eagle1

vacation time

Indian Mounds campground on Lake Tomahawk. Nice size lake for swimming, fishing, and cruising around.
We'll be there next week, site 23, stop in and say "hi" if your in the area.

blutooth

Thanks everyone for this post! I've been looking for campgrounds with availability for the next few weeks and hopefully this uncovered some new gems for us!

Booked a couple nights next weekend at Big Eau Pleine.

As for my favorites:

McLain State Park in the UP by Hancock is fantastic

And in Southeastern Wisconsin I like:

Wyalusing (busy)
and
Yellowstone State Park

We tend to find places wil lots of hiking and secluded sites (the dogs prefer it).

I also need a site with electricity (just in case the weather is hot)