Something You Don't See Everyday

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a sister that lives near Denver and she sent me this recent photo that was in the news out there. This Cat was coming down from the mountains going after dogs that challenged it The locals hired a tracker and he finished the job only after losing two of his dogs in the ordeal.
Oh, and just a word of caution. If you're gonna pick up a Mountain Lion like the guy in this picture....make sure it's dead and not just sleeping. MEOW!

Mt. Lion.jpg

whitedust

What's the CO record size mountain lion size? What in the world would a cougar that size eat to survive in CO? Doggies not going to hack it.

goofy600

I kinda have to agree on the phony part only one picture, show me a few more then I can believe it. Saw it with a wolf that big one time. Could I believe a cat can get that big yes but show me 20 or 30 other pictures that would have been taken also.

snoden

My cousin harvested a cat a couple years ago in New Mexico. It's live weight was 190 lbs. and with a very similar photo angle it looked every bit as big in his photos as this one so I can believe this to be an actual photo. Those cats can get big and this is a big boy.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I too am wondering about it's feeding habits. Rabbits and squirrels are just snacks, this guy needs a cow or two. I imagine all that fur makes it look larger than it actually is, but still...

euphoric1

I saw the same story and also thought the size of that mountain lion looked a little odd
something definitely is off there, the dam mountain lion has bigger legs than he does, there will be new show to follow on Discovery"Colorado's Mountain Lionzilla" lol, the whole picture looks off, the back drop looks like one of those pull down screens that JcPenny used to have when my parents used to take us for pictures lol. Something is definitely off.

mezz

That's a BIG kitty cat! I am sure there is plenty of large prey for them to feast on. Deer, Moose etc... It looks real to me, but, I've been fooled before.

old abe

What's the CO record size mountain lion size? What in the world would a cougar that size eat to survive in CO? Doggies not going to hack it.
Deer, Antelope, Elk, and perhaps cattle. Largest cat I've ever laid eyes on was in Ontario, Canada between Foleyet, and Chapleau. Huge. These cats can drag a good sized carcass up a tree, to keep away from the wolves and coyotes. That takes an extreme amount of strength. I would not be using a bow on a cat.

rph130

My daughter's boyfriend is in Mexico on a hunting trip and shot a mountain lion 2 days ago. I don't know what town/area he is in but has a local guide that speaks no English. The guide scoped it and all he could say was Puma, Puma, and some utterance of shoot it. He was told that the mountain lions are considered a dangerous nuisance animal that stalks the hunters who are out for deer and boar and the Mexicans want them gone.....Now for the question to get everyone fired up: If the Pumas came to our border crossing, would Old Joe welcome them, provide them with shelter, a cell phone, food, medical benefits, voting rights, etc?