Somewhere to Copper Harbor

kecogaty

Trying to plan a trip to Copper Harbor this winter. Couple of questions. Thinking of unloading in the Rhinelander area and ride to the Houghton/Hancock area and stay there. Next day up to Copper and back to Houghton. Third day ride back to starting point. Is this a doable trip? Recommendations of starting point, place to park trailer for 3 days, hotels to stay at in the Houghton area? Thinking about 150-175 on the first and third day would be about right. I know that the second day will be a short one. Thank you in advance. THINK SNOW!!!

groomerdriver

Doable depending on your riding style. Day's 1 and 3 will be very long and longer if you try this over a weekend. Have ridden from Three Lakes to Houghton in a day several times.

mezz

In Houghton / Hancock & taking into consideration your travel plan, I would suggest the Ramada at the foot of the lift bridge in Hancock which is right on the trail. M & M Powersports is right across the street in the event you need anything & nice restaurant in the hotel not to mention easy access to most anything from there.-Mezz

whitedust

Very doable not sure where to leave rig in Rhinelander. There is a member that lives in Rhinelander area that rides that route, skidoo something, can't remember his name? Maybe he will chime in...

towtruck

sounds great - x2 on avoiding the weekend though- not just the sled traffic (but mostly) also if plans change slightly -it's easier to move the motel dates around-happy trails!

megan600

Doable! Nice to keep day two a little shorter so you have time to really explore up there. We had too far of a destination to travel and cut ourselves short on time up there. One trip to the ER for a few hours didn't help either ;) but definitely feel like we missed out a bit.

samc

Is there a reroute of trail 2 from Ironwood to Wakefield ? heard it was shut down

I was wondering the same thing. Thought it was closed because of land owner tired of the loud pipes on the trial right behind his place. Wasn't there a thread about this last Spring?

whitedust

I assumed this trip would be straight up thru Eagle River & Lando then UPMI trail 3 or 107 route to Houghton/Hancock. Would not see trail 2 thru Ironwood or Wakefield. It would be better to have a separate post for closure of trail 2 thru Ironwood or Wakefield. I thought this was resolved but not sure.

Hoosier

I'd definitely recommend having enough time to hit most if not every trail north of Houghton/Calumet. Many just race up 3, get to Copper Harbor and then race back. There's a lot of good riding up there.

We ride from Eagle River to Copper Harbor every few years, if not more. Eagle River to Houghton is not hard at all to do in a day, even if you taking it easy.

kecogaty

So I have everything lined up except for a place to park for two days in Rhinelander. Thanks for the help guys and hopefully someone will reply for a place to park.

garyl62

Not sure if they will let you park at their place, but call Schoeder's in Rhinelander. They are a sports/rv dealer and sell Arctic Cats and Polaris sleds. They have a huge lot that is fenced in. The fence could be the tricky part if the were to let to park there depending on your schedule. If nothing else they are a local contact for parts and service, and they could have some parking info to give you. Their # is 715-365-7722

whitedust

Maybe better to move operation a bit north to Sugar Camp. Gas station there with lots of room to park but need to ask to set it up. Lots of heavy auto traffic to deal with in Rhinelander the big box store city of the northwoods.

Snirtdawg

Holiday Acres Resort in Rhinelander is a great jump point, good place to stay for the night if you come up late. Right on trail and big lot.

ragex2

That is a nice trip. We have done that a few times leaving from our cabin on north side of Eagle River to H/H is about 150 miles. You could park behind Holiday station near Derby Track on hwy 45 there's a small lot for this purpose if you're willing to change your start spot. I too would recommend this be a midweek trip. Enjoy

Hoosier

Looks like you are from Wisconsin so I'm assuming you'll already have your Wisconsin trail permit. But if not, you might want to drive slightly further to the Michigan border for this trip so that you only need to buy a permit for one state. You could park in say Land o Lakes or Watersmeet.