Sore Hand & thumb

Atymay

Not sure if I post this in the tech section or here. My wife gets a real sore thumb and hand after a day of riding. She has to really extend her hand to operate the throttle. The snowmobile is a 01 Polaris Edge X. Any ideas for changing the throttle or any helpful adjustments? Thanks.

mjkaliszak

You can play around with the carb TB return springs, you MUST be careful when doing that however too light of a spring ( change and it may stick wide open. I found that twisting the throttle to a comfortable ( more confortable ) position helps sometimes. BUT... in the end, it is building up that muscle group that benefits the most. You can also try some lube ( cable dry lube ) or even try to lube up the TB assembly.

Just my .02

My wife has another sore spot... she keeps talking about this " pain in her arse " ???? havent fiqured out what she is talking about for nearly 20 yrs.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why not consider "substitutes" or "temporary spouses". No wife should be subjected to pain and discomfort at your expense and that "pain in the arse thing" must be going around cause my wife has the same thing...

mezz

Check out the "Thumb Thing", I think they still make this, or something similar that helps reduce thumb fatigue. You might also suggest that she depress the throttle with more of the base of the thumb rather than the end.-Mezz

snoduke88

Loosen throtle braket a little bit then adjust it up or down until conforable. I leave mine a litle loose so I can adjust when I need to.

T

Team Elkhorn

My wife used to have this problem. However with her last few sleds she doesn't seem to complain about it much anymore. Part of it is the EFI has a much easier throttle. But I think the main reason is the sleds are heavier and don't dart around like her lighter sleds in the past, so she doesn't feel like she needs to hang on for dear life. Thus she can keep a lighter grip on the bars.

Modman440

I converted my back up sled to a motorcycle style throttle, takes a while to get used to but much Easyer on the thumb for my wife

allen_shores

I love my Polaris snowmobile, but there throttle lever is crude compared to the one I had on my 99 Yamaha SX700. The shape alone made a huge difference. Don't know why they can't get that right?

dofo1

Not sure if I post this in the tech section or here. My wife gets a real sore thumb and hand after a day of riding. She has to really extend her hand to operate the throttle. The snowmobile is a 01 Polaris Edge X. Any ideas for changing the throttle or any helpful adjustments? Thanks.

A while back Polaris used to have what they called the E-Z Thottle.

Don't have any idea if they still makethem of if it would fit newer sleds

polaris2

My wife used to get a sore thumb on her carb Polaris Fusion. The fix was a Arctic Cat Crossfire EFI no more complaints.

shoelessjoe

Take a look at the Throttle Flare by Snobunje. It mounts onto the throttle lever and allows you to adjust and reposition your hand and still be able to operate the throttle. The design was created for situations such as sidehilling where you are off the side of the sled but when I had mine I noticed that during longer trail rides it allowed me to move my hand/thumb around a bit.

Also, you may want to look into spinning the throttle block around and making it so she operates the throttle by pulling on it with her index and middle fingers instead of pushing on it with her thumb. Squeezing with those two fingers is a much more natural action and allows the work to be done by both fingers instead of just by the thumb.

snoduke88

Had a friend turn thottle around, work fine until he had to make a quick turn to right, opened thorttle wide open lifted the skis and ran off left side of trail into trees!

mezz

Not to mention the kill switch and other control switches being upside down & backwards, in theory a decent idea, in reality, not a good idea.-Mezz

shoelessjoe

Had a friend turn thottle around, work fine until he had to make a quick turn to right, opened thorttle wide open lifted the skis and ran off left side of trail into trees!

Kinda like people getting bucked forward and into the throttle in it's current position and pinning it, it happens. Another concern with a forward facing throttle would be tree riding and having something strike the throttle but handguards could help with this issue. Sounds like the OP is doing more on traill then off though so that may not be an issue.

Not to mention the kill switch and other control switches being upside down & backwards, in theory a decent idea, in reality, not a good idea.-Mezz

Yes, maybe I should have been clearer (or worded things differently in my post). You would need an aftermarket throttle block and either an aftermarket tether or kill. You couldn't simply "spin the throttle block around" as I said in my post.

The OP has an 01 Edge X, I had an 02 Edge and put an aftermarket throttle block and tether on my sled. Certainly not a complicated process or an expensive process.

If you want to stop having a sore throttle thumb than stop using your thumb for the throttle.

Atymay

Thanks for all the great inputs and replies. Now I have to tell the wife that we need to put some miles on and try the different ideas. If all else fails, we may just need to replace the throttle with a new sled.

hothyfax

You may also need to look at a left hand thorttle.Sno bungi has the best lever,but gold finger has the best and eaisiest hardware to install.I lost part of my right thumb years ago and have had a lefty on all sleds since.You can disable them when not needed or someone else is riding the machine.

01prox600

I had the same issue with my 01 ProX 600. I had put 300+ miles on in Michigan one saturday and with the rough trails I got "throttle thumb." Basically inflaming my tendon so much it would rub on the sheath around it when I moved it. But I lost grip strength in my right hand and my wrist actually began to swell. Still wanted to ride so I put a left hand throttle kit on. Probably one of the only short tracks you will see with a left handed side-hilling throttle on it. Solved the problem though. Can ride part day with right hand and switch to left so not to aggrevate the tendon again.