Speed Tips on Polaris 120XC

jshabadu

My son has been riding this the past few seasons and has been after me to get it to go faster. Right now it is completely stock and I am not looking at spending hundreds of dollars for a kit. I have heard that a different governor spring will add RPM, thus increasing speed. Any ideas on how much speed this will add? If I can get this up to near 15mph, I think he will satisfied.

I heard that you can buy the gears at Fleet Farm , but I haven't talked to that guy for a while now. I would check the sprockets they have and see if one would fit, you could go down a tooth or two to get some more top end. I know that what my friend was going to do to slow it down.

btmik11x

If you simply zip tie the coil part of spring that will take the stretch out of the spring and should be good for 14 mph. I beleive i elimanated the spring and put a peice of cloth hanger in its place. Either will work. Watching the kid do 14 the first time was a little scary, it looks a lot faster then 8 mph as a parent. Good luck.

mjkaliszak

Yea... do the governor override ( above ). Any more speed cost bucks, we had a honda race motor in one of ours the kids loved it. It would pull me down the road at 30mph ( no lie ... I checked it against my car ) that was many years ago. There is a good website , if you can't get enough speed called ( recmotor.com ). The owners name is scott , I think, anyhow he runs recreational motorsports, pretty stand up business, everything I got from them many, many years ago was good stuff. There comes a point where the kids start pulling their friends with saucers and stuff and we were eating clutches constantly. I wouldn't do it over differently. The governor override is the best bang for the price of a zip tie. You can also pull the air filter off ( since there's no dust in winter ) and run the track as loose as possible. The site used to have a real good " tech tips " page.

i put a spring in the break pin so the pads weren't touching the disk. the breaks were a little spongy but my kid got used to it

doo_crazy

You want them to go... here is what I did and it was pretty cheap...
Go buy a chinese 6.5 HP motor from Harbor Freight... $99 bucks...put valve springs $12bucks... need to regear (chain gears etc...80 bucks depending on machine (call Recreational Motors) they have a gear kit for your kids weight... and the speed you want it to go... my lil rev went from 7-8mph to 23 on radar gun... and I geared it down to about 18... but still have the other gears... you can also do a wheel kit and some other stuff... only thing I think I may do in addition is the chain tensioner... these guys will answer your questions... if you dont know how and want them to do it... they will but itl cost ya.

www.recmotor.com

Recreational Motorsports. 809 27th Ave. SW Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 52404. Telephone: (319) 365-5391, Fax: (319) 365-5483

dale_58

If you need a sproket let me how many teeth you want and I will see if I have one.(NEW)

My son has been riding this the past few seasons and has been after me to get it to go faster. Right now it is completely stock and I am not looking at spending hundreds of dollars for a kit. I have heard that a different governor spring will add RPM, thus increasing speed. Any ideas on how much speed this will add? If I can get this up to near 15mph, I think he will satisfied.