Speedo 2013 Polaris

rlspol

Started my 2013 800 Polaris Adventure today for first time this year and speedo was bouncing around to all different speeds while sled was standing still. I then went for a short ride and at one time stopped speed went to 113 mph. It appears tach is bouncing around too but temp was not. Anyone have any ideas what is wrong.

Thanks

garyl62

Thought this was going in a whole different direction when I saw this title.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 213
Unplug and clean up the main connection under the hood. I would start there. It would be the connection you have to undo if you were removing the hood.

Last edited:

raceinsnow

The other thing to know is the drive shaft bearing under the secondary clutch should not be greased. That is a sealed bearing and will not accept grease and if it was greased it will interfere with the magnetic signal from the speedometer pick up. I do think your problem is the plug as stated above. Another thing to check is the ground wires from the battery to the frame and by the clutch cover to the frame.

rlspol

Ok so I have checked main plug and all looks good, also disconnected battery for 10 minutes. Also per Racinsnow I pulled speedo housing off and there was grease all over the magnet. Would this cause the problem? I will not be greasing in future.

raceinsnow

To much grease in the speedometer pick up will cause it to lose signal. Did you grease it before this happened? After cleaning the grease out of the pick up did the speedometer work ok? Grease in the pick up should only effect the speedo and not the tack.If you still have your problem then look closer at the main plug going to the dash, unplug it and look very close for pins being pushed out of the back of the plug and not making a good connection.

rlspol

Raceinsnow, I have greased from day one but will not anymore. I did clean the grease out and started sled with pick up laying in belly pan and speedo and tack still bouncing. I have looked at the pins and they look good but will look closer. I have sled set up to go in to dealer and I have extended warranty just didn't want to hassel with taking it in. I will update post when I find something out.

jedoyle

To much grease in the speedometer pick up will cause it to lose signal. Did you grease it before this happened? After cleaning the grease out of the pick up did the speedometer work ok? Grease in the pick up should only effect the speedo and not the tack.If you still have your problem then look closer at the main plug going to the dash, unplug it and look very close for pins being pushed out of the back of the plug and not making a good connection.

This thread is great timing because I just noticed on my 2014
Switchback Assault 800 the same thing was happening where the MPH
Was all over the place after starting it up and I know I greased that
Fitting before the year. So I see a torx screw holding a clip below the
Housing. Do I just remove that screw and clip to pull the sensor out
and clean it off. This was driving me crazy so if this fixes it that
would be awesome. Jim

rlspol

Jedoyle, you can do that but I would bet there will be grease all the way around the housing. There is also a shaft coming off drive knuckles that sensor sits on that could have grease on it depending on how much grease you put in. There are 6 studs to pull housing off but you will have to loosen track or you will never get them all lined up to put back on. My odometer was adding miles also with speed read out bouncing all over the place, check your tack also to see if its bouncing.

jedoyle

Jedoyle, you can do that but I would bet there will be grease all the way around the housing. There is also a shaft coming off drive knuckles that sensor sits on that could have grease on it depending on how much grease you put in. There are 6 studs to pull housing off but you will have to loosen track or you will never get them all lined up to put back on. My odometer was adding miles also with speed read out bouncing all over the place, check your tack also to see if its bouncing.

MPH was the only thing that seemed off. RPM's seemed just fine. Like I said, I know I threw a couple shots of grease in there before storing last spring so I am guess that is the deal. I guess I will loosen track like I do to adjust track tension and then pull the housing off to clean excess grease. Thanks!

jeff_d

X2 on the speed sensor. I had the same problem on my 06 fusion, changed the speed sensor and all was good. At that time the sled was only 2 years old. Also the grease on the tone ring shouldn't mess up the signal, most wheel bearings on cars have kind of the same setup with a hall effect sensor and they are packed with grease and it does not effect the reading at all. Don't want to see you guys quit greasing the driveshaft bearings thinking it will screw up the sensor reading and end up killing your driveshaft bearings.

raceinsnow

X2 on the speed sensor. I had the same problem on my 06 fusion, changed the speed sensor and all was good. At that time the sled was only 2 years old. Also the grease on the tone ring shouldn't mess up the signal, most wheel bearings on cars have kind of the same setup with a hall effect sensor and they are packed with grease and it does not effect the reading at all. Don't want to see you guys quit greasing the driveshaft bearings thinking it will screw up the sensor reading and end up killing your driveshaft bearings.

The newer polaris drive shaft bearings will not accept grease they are not drilled out to accept grease. If you dont beleive me take one out and inspect it, been there done that. Grease will affect the signal of the speedometer sensor I am also speaking from exprerience. If that didnt work then replace the sensor. On a side note the wheel bearings in your car are not greaseable and are also a sealed bearing.

rlspol

Well heard from dealer on my speedo problem, they said same as many of you " speed sensor bad ". I thought my tack was bouncing to but dealer said that read out was correct. At idle tack would bounce 50 to 80 RPM's ( if my memory is correct, but then again I am not a spring chicken), now its was bouncing about 300 RPM's at idle. Is that normal? Thanks for feed back. Ron

jeff_d

Sorry, been out of the polaris game for a while now, I think my last polaris (06 fusion) had a greaseable driveshaft bearing. I am not surprised they switched to sealed, non greaseable bearing, good way to sell more parts. My last 3 ski-doos have had non greaseable bearings and they can fail after a few seasons. Only takes a little water getting past the seal and the bearing is junk.

I am a certified auto tech and would like to point out that just because you have a sealed bearing doesn't mean there is no grease in them. They are packed from the factory with grease. I can speak from experience when replacing serviceable speed sensors in wheel bearings that grease in the sensor tone ring or on the sensor will make no difference in reading (just changed one in a 97 f150 last week). Most speed sensors are hall effect sensors that operate on magnetism, and last time I checked grease doesn't stick to a magnet, well it may stick but you can't pick it up with a magnet like a steel bolt

raceinsnow

I am a certified auto tech and would like to point out that just because you have a sealed bearing doesn't mean there is no grease in them. They are packed from the factory with grease. I can speak from experience when replacing serviceable speed sensors in wheel bearings that grease in the sensor tone ring or on the sensor will make no difference in reading (just changed one in a 97 f150 last week). Most speed sensors are hall effect sensors that operate on magnetism, and last time I checked grease doesn't stick to a magnet, well it may stick but you can't pick it up with a magnet like a steel bolt

Ok lets start with the bearings, sealed bearings use seals to keep the grease in and keep the dirt and junk out, no one said there was no grease in them. Now the hall effect switches, Hall effect switches are not all made by the same manufacture and are not engineered the same. So when the magnet has a very dense product (grease) put inbetween the magnet and the sensor it will not read the magnet , this happens all the time in wheel sensors when they get pluged up with mud and grease.( Chevy trucks have a problem with this) Alot of these sensors are replaced because they are dirty and not bad. BTW, 30+ years certified master mechanic with some engineering background. I am just trying to help people understand that throwing money and parts at something might not fix the problem.