Squatters Rights

durphee

I cant help on the squatter issue as with my rentals as I have never had an issue removing someone. I have had to evict 2 individuals and its a pretty easy and straightforward process....t least in LaSalle county, Illinois. Serve them eviction notice with a trial date, show up at trial (these folks typically cant afford a lawyer) and show non payment in front of judge. Judge asks tenant when they will pay and if they cant he asks me how long til you want them out. They usually give them at least 2 weeks to a month and he make the judgement against them. And yes, even if its winter and they have kids. IF they want to challenge it they have to pay upfront the court costs for that afternoon. Its a good system in my location.

old abe

I cant help on the squatter issue as with my rentals as I have never had an issue removing someone. I have had to evict 2 individuals and its a pretty easy and straightforward process....t least in LaSalle county, Illinois. Serve them eviction notice with a trial date, show up at trial (these folks typically cant afford a lawyer) and show non payment in front of judge. Judge asks tenant when they will pay and if they cant he asks me how long til you want them out. They usually give them at least 2 weeks to a month and he make the judgement against them. And yes, even if its winter and they have kids. IF they want to challenge it they have to pay upfront the court costs for that afternoon. Its a good system in my location. Yep be organized with good records!

Tim in Indiana

I was talking with a guy today that had a large, rural property taken over by squatters. He's a single guy who travels for work, and is gone for months at a time. The place is off the beaten path and can't be seen from the road.

They trashed the place, sold off anything they could including heavy equipment, farm equipment, tools, etc. After 20 months and thousands of dollars paid to lawyers they were still in there. He finally got the county zoning to condemn the place because they had stripped wiring out of part of the house. Once it was condemned the sheriff came in the same day and physically removed the people.

hybrid

I was talking with a guy today that had a large, rural property taken over by squatters. He's a single guy who travels for work, and is gone for months at a time. The place is off the beaten path and can't be seen from the road.

They trashed the place, sold off anything they could including heavy equipment, farm equipment, tools, etc. After 20 months and thousands of dollars paid to lawyers they were still in there. He finally got the county zoning to condemn the place because they had stripped wiring out of part of the house. Once it was condemned the sheriff came in the same day and physically removed the people.
awe that sucks
my parents had some people move into a house they were trying to sell in crystal lake illinois
took about a year and cost about 100k to get them out after damage and lawyers
one person was legally disabled
they claimed they were renting and that's all it took
no lease paperwork or anything
free house for a year
400k house
people suck
this was before covid

euphoric1

Florida will enter into law it is illegal to squat and charges will be brought against squatters. Wow, what took so long? Seems like common sense to me.
mindboggling that we would even have to enter "squatting" into law! I would think it falls under already existing laws being broken, I just don't get it! still cant believe how stupid we have become!

pclark

With all the publicity this will only get worse. If these loser squatters watch news reports of this then it will become open season. If you have second homes better keep an eye on them.

old abe

And as is always, Be Responsible for what is YOURS, eh! Being lax is no excuse in my mind. Seems those are the ones who always think someone else will take care of them? Lazy, and very ignorant! It's simply called personal responsibility of ownership.

old abe

mindboggling that we would even have to enter "squatting" into law! I would think it falls under already existing laws being broken, I just don't get it! still cant believe how stupid we have become!
Yeah it sucks big. Become stupid, no, it has been this way for 150 some plus years. Sadly as use it, watch it, protect it, or lose it? Like it or not it all has to do with whether knowing this, or not, it somehow became established, happened in the eyes of the court. :mad: The longer the time period of this is, the worse it gets. If anyone exercises being responsible for what is theirs, it is no problem to correct, or solve. Been their, done that. And again it sucks. Just be responsible always!

pclark

It’s called trespassing, breaking and entering, theft, vandalism, whatever you want call it. Why can’t the law come in and remove these people asap? Federal Government should change and implement laws now instead of spending time and money on all the bullshit that they meddle in.

wiscrev

It’s called trespassing, breaking and entering, theft, vandalism, whatever you want call it. Why can’t the law come in and remove these people asap? Federal Government should change and implement laws now instead of spending time and money on all the bullshit that they meddle in.
They're to busy CYAing. Or should I say, "Trying to CTOA."