St.Germain to Copper Harbor

limey

It is about 200 miles one way going the following route: St Germain -> Watersmeet -> Bruce Crossing -> Mass City -> Houghton -> Copper Harbor. There would be a lot of riding on old railroad beds and you would miss out on some fun routes. For example, a much better route would be going from Watersmeet to Mass City/Greenland is via Sidnaw on trails 8/15 and then trail 12. In addition, coming back from Copper Harbor you would probably want to take the eastern side to ride some different trails.

So it would be 400 mile day and something to brag about, but you would miss out on some great trails.

coldbear

400 miles iod ??

I agree Limey..it would be a feat to ride 400 in one day.Just grab a room in Houghton/Hancock area and enjoy the next morning ride. UP riding has to be the best.Nice people UP there too!

acase27

I've done Land O Lakes to Copper Harbor. Like everyone else has mentioned, it's a long day and you don't get to see everything because you're in a hurry to get it done.

upsledder

I'm pretty sure it would be well over 400. I always kept this 1994 issue of "Supertrax" magazine because I never believed these boys claim that it is 600! (from Eagle River). Seems to me I figured around 500 at the time. Not sure of any trail changes since then that would make a big difference.

eagle.jpg

Last edited:

limey

Thanks for the replys. Sounds like we should stay overnight and take our time to enjoy the scenery.
Yes you should, but you can still have an absolute blast and put on lots of miles. I like to ride about 260-290 miles a day in the UP. You might consider something like this:
Day 1: St Germain -> Watersmeet -> Marinesco -> Bergland -> White Pine (Konteka) -> Ontonagon -> Greenland -> Hancock -> Dollar Bay -> Copper Harbor.

Spend the night at The Mariner North

Day 2: Copper Harbor -> Gay -> Dollar Bay -> Chassell -> Baraga -> Sidnaw -> Kenton -> Watersmeet -> St Germain

Day 1 would be about 250-270 miles and very doable yet also riding some nice trails. Day 2 would require Portage Lake to be frozen as I would jump on the lake just outside Dollar Bay and ride the lake to Chassell. The trails from Baraga to Watersmeet are some of the best in the Yooper. If Portage Lake isn't safe when you plan to ride, then simply ride down to Twin Lakes and take trail 109 and then trail 8/15 to Sidnaw (which is also a good trail).

Lastly, don't forget about the timezone change.

moviper

limey
Thanks for the suggestion, sounds like a good route to me. The miles seem very doable in a day, we have rode over 200 on the tight n twisty alot of times. I have been to the UP several times but never north of Twin lakes. I think it will be a great adventure that we won't forget! The mariner looks like a great place to stay the night.

simonsr1

I did this a couple of years ago, rode from st. germain to copper, I believe it was 600 to 700 miles round trip, we did it in 2 days, easy ride if the trails are in good shape(keyword) good shape.