Starlink question

retrocat

Hi John!
Did you install your Starlink satellite and router yourself or does Starlink send someone out after the equipment is shipped? It was not clear on their email that says it's available and had no contact information. Sounds like a good solution as we are in an area with few internet choices.... Most everyone uses data on their phones.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I did it myself and the system is setup to be that way. The dish comes fully assembled. All that is needed is to mount it to the base by sticking the pipe attached to the dish into the pipe on the base. Then you run the cable from the dish to the receiver/router. There is a power transformer that gets plugged in and a cable from it to the receiver/router. Once the system is all powered up (satellite gets power from the cable to/from the receiver/router, the satellite dish automatically finds the satellites in space. Pretty cool to watch. Once locked onto a bird in space, you are good to go. Many have fount the functionality of the router that came from Starlink to be not as good as something from say Netgear. There is an aux port that you can plug a wifi router from say Netgear into for optimal performance.

I am very impressed with this system. Have brief outages, but most likely to the spot I have the dish right now. I do plan to move it to a more optimal location once winter is over, but it works plenty good enough right now to get by.

-John

Bullitt69

Hey Guys is the general direction of the satellite "south"? (maybe a dumb question for us northerners)

I'm considering this route as well, only get 15MBPS download here through Jamadots - I mean, it's good enough but laggy and drops out a lot.

My camp is surrounded by trees so I'm not sure this would work for my situation although....

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Turns out that is not a dumb question. My dish looks almost due north, just a few degrees west of due north.

lots of trees could be an issue. Of course one could make some firewood and solve two issues!

srt20

Maybe I missed something? Did you have a thread somewhere about Starlink?
I am somewhat excited for this. We have poor at best internet where I live. Last I read, you need to be north of a certain degree to try the beta. Of course I am south of it...

I would love to hear any reviews, speeds, latency, etc. Thanks

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I missed something? Did you have a thread somewhere about Starlink?
I am somewhat excited for this. We have poor at best internet where I live. Last I read, you need to be north of a certain degree to try the beta. Of course I am south of it...

I would love to hear any reviews, speeds, latency, etc. Thanks

I signed up for the beta about a month ago. The system is slick. They are still working out the bugs and need to fill their constellation of satellites, but even with all of this, it kicks butt. Speeds of 80-180 Mbps down 30-80 up. Latency is around 20-40, they say it will be around 6 ms when they are done with their setup. It is as fast or faster than my charter cable internet was in Mohawk.

-John

srt20

I signed up for the beta about a month ago. The system is slick. They are still working out the bugs and need to fill their constellation of satellites, but even with all of this, it kicks butt. Speeds of 80-180 Mbps down 30-80 up. Latency is around 20-40, they say it will be around 6 ms when they are done with their setup. It is as fast or faster than my charter cable internet was in Mohawk.

-John

Thats pretty impressive! Thanks

Is it your only internet source? If not, is it reliable enough to be your only source, for your business?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Right now it is not my only internet source, but it has also been reliable enough that I have not had to use my backup.

Plus...True unlimited data. Been downloading games that are 50-100 gig and no issues or slowdowns.

One other thing. Once the constellation is finished. I would guess you could take the system anywhere you go. Right now they assign you to a "quadrant" and you cannot move the dish more than a few kilometers.

Elon Musk for the win!

-John

harlybob

High John, it’s been a while, I was the Phelps South Twin cam, I am now on the waiting list and soon to have Starlink set up, and hopefully have a better web cam up and running. Love your site, been following many years.

All the best,
Bob A