Starter

Has anyone ever used an aftermarket starter with any luck. My starter works but makes an awful grinding noise while starting the sled. It is a 2012 Polaris Rush 600. Everything else in the starting system has been replaced so I’m sure the starter is just getting tired. I found one from a company called DB electrical that seems like a good one and reasonably priced. Any thoughts?

euphoric1

Not in snowmobile business but in the outdoor power business.... been there done that and if I can give you any advice....NOT WORTH IT! some things aftermarket ok...other things NOT, starters being one of them IMO

mngolf4

Suspect it’s your pinion assembly, common Polaris issue. Even hear brand new ones grind sometimes.��

Pinion is new but maybe it’s still grinding. Maybe I will just leave it alone since it works the way it is. Not a huge fan of Polaris electric start, they have along ways to go to make it work correctly. Not sure how that could be an issue in 2020 but apparently they haven’t figured it out yet. Funny thing is I was watch a YouTube video put of by the Lester’s and even his new 2020 Polaris he was talking about made a grinding noise when starting, he then said I don’t understand why Polaris sleds sound like a bucket of bolts when starting. Seems odd they can’t figure it out, a lot like why Skidoo can’t use an LED headlight. I’m a Skidoo guy and this is my first Polaris I have owned and overall a pretty good sled. Hasn’t won me over and when I get a new one I will sell this Polaris.

mngolf4

I rebuilt mine (SPI Kit) and shimmed it out a bit. Seems much better. Now trying to figure out best lube for it, they tend to get gummed up with belt dust I think.

elf

I've used DB Electrical starters on 4 wheelers and they are OK. Not as good as stock I believe but 10% of the cost. I can afford to replace them at that savings.

I think if mine stops working before I sell it I will try one. Until then I will use it as is. On a side note I did have my flex shaft break last week on one of those really cold days, just checking if it would start before I took my Skidoo for a ride. I put a new one in today and works fine again. The one I had on it was off eBay for $15 so maybe that’s why it broke.