stay on your side of the trail

saber1

Happened in the UP today or Yesterday be careful out there guys were lucky no serious injuries

euphoric1

I had stated during our trip had a couple almost clean out my shorts close calls, need a bigger sign than just a small diamond (of course people have a hard time reading bright orange and red signs as well that say stay on trail) that says stay right, but what is clearly lacking is common sense and sensible control of your machine. if you cant stay on your side of the trail it is likely you are going too fast for the corner to stay right, you're in your own little snow cross event or you are just a plain idiot and don't care about what or who is coming around the corner, NOT THAT DIFFICULT! I cant believe from pictures no one was hurt! thank God! and yes... Please be careful! Be mindful! Know you and your sleds control limitations before you put someone else's life in your hands by not using common sense and respect for other riders.

mezz

I've been chased into the pickers enough over the years, this is what put me into the backwoods for 34 years. Too damn many ricky racers out there, they just don't seem to have any common sense or respect for the trail or others on them. You would think that by now there would be an awakening. Hopefluly for these two, it is a lesson learned. Hopefully no physical repercussions down the road for either driver. This vid should be a poster child for all to see regularly.

600_RMK_144

This is all over FB. Guy on wrong side of trail (Doo) was on a rental (big surprise). AC group had just stopped before this and were going to switch lead sled, but one was running poorly so they didn't. His old man would have taken this hit had they done that. AC rider said he went off on the dude, cussing and yelling. Then I'd assume the adrenaline wore off and he went down as seen in the video. Doo rider took full responsibility when DNR showed up (pretty hard not too when you see where he was on the trail). AC rider did say that the guy came up to him later and apologized face-to-face. Other pics show the entire front end of the sled, pretty much all the way up to the bars is toast. Like not even there any more.

Extremely fortunate that there were not serious injuries or deaths in this case. I think it's everyone's worst fear... Come around a blind corner and there is sled pointed at you head on. I take corners at a crawl on the regular, but probably still would have taken the hit. Zero time to react.

pclark

This is all over FB. Guy on wrong side of trail (Doo) was on a rental (big surprise). AC group had just stopped before this and were going to switch lead sled, but one was running poorly so they didn't. His old man would have taken this hit had they done that. AC rider said he went off on the dude, cussing and yelling. Then I'd assume the adrenaline wore off and he went down as seen in the video. Doo rider took full responsibility when DNR showed up (pretty hard not too when you see where he was on the trail). AC rider did say that the guy came up to him later and apologized face-to-face. Other pics show the entire front end of the sled, pretty much all the way up to the bars is toast. Like not even there any more.

Extremely fortunate that there were not serious injuries or deaths in this case. I think it's everyone's worst fear... Come around a blind corner and there is sled pointed at you head on. I take corners at a crawl on the regular, but probably still would have taken the hit. Zero time to react.
At my age I basically pull over and either stop or slow to a crawl and let others pass that are coming at me and then proceed on. If coming into a turn unless it is all ice and unpredictable I am very careful to be on my side of the turn just out of caution to myself so I don't get hammered. Obviously still guys out there that feel that they own the whole trail and probably always will be. Hopefully they show this video at all Snowmobile Safety Courses.

favoritos

It's too bad that this ever happens.

The basic premise is the fact that sleds on the wrong side of the trail are a problem. I do not understand why that basic issue continues. It's not just a few riders either. Ask a groomer operator or look at the tracks yourself. We have fantastic trails in the U.P. They are wide too. But, sleds run right down the center on nice straights. The berms in corners tell you where the traffic is riding.

I ride lead. I ride with the assumption that I will encounter sleds coming toward me on my side of the trail.

I also drive vehicles down two lane highways. I do not drive with the assumption that I will meet traffic on my side of the road.

I'm not a fan of blaming riders based on speed. Bad riders are bad riders.

dfattack

I almost had a situation like this a couple weeks ago. The corner was very small, almost to the point I wondered how a groomer even made it through. Traffic this year has been unusually high, which is great for businesses and that fact that people are getting out to enjoy the sport. I tend to avoid the busy areas of the U.P. for this reason. I personally love the central U.P. or east of Bruce Crossing through Gwinn and down into Florence and Forest counties. Trails are usually good depending on the snow conditions but mostly like them due to lower traffic. This year however was a huge increase in traffic. My son tends to like to lead now and I'm constantly telling him to enter every corner as if you will meet someone in it, but it's almost impossible to avoid this type of encounter with someone completely on your side. We could debate this all day long, but the fact is the Cat rider was doing what he was supposed to and the Doo guy was not. Not sure how to avoid it short of everyone doing the right thing and we can't even keep people on the trail let alone being on the right side of the trail.

I found myself liking trails that were a little more open this year where trees have been thinned out so you could see upcoming corners and potential riders coming the other way. More open sweepers are my favorite for this very reason. I can't stand tight twisties because of lack of visibility ...and my arms get a little more tired the older I get without the EPS. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

whitedust

One of the tricks I use in tight Twistys especially when I know the lay of the trail is to pick up lights way before oncoming riders know I’ll appear. If I can see oncoming sleds are hauling and I’m leading I’ll stop tuck behind a tree signal my pack to do the same. Never ever hit another sled clicked skis and hopped the berm into pickers when I had to. Hate to say it but always been a rental that forced me off the trail.

wisco-mb

Unbelievable.. Glad they are ok. These are the same people that we share trails and roads with. Just clueless. I lead 95% of the time. I stand for the majority of my riding due to this. I see them first 95% of the time. I ride to expect traffic in every corner.
I've been called a ricky racer because I stand before. Hahaaa! I stand because I look out for the ricky racers!

Last edited:

600_RMK_144

I do the same. Stop or crawling at best every time a group comes by. Corners I'll hug our side of the trail to the point I might go right off the side. LOL! My son thinks I'm crazy, but I'll take it over an accident. I've also trained him to start standing on the OUTSIDE running board. He used to stand to the inside or one foot on each side, so I explained why it's important to be on the outside board in-case he needs to bail. Over in The Black Hills last weekend came to a group of 15+ sleds. Lead rider signals for them all to get over. They were literally riding down the middle without a care in the world. Also touched skis with a sled out of control coming around a corner. Closest call I've ever had. Pretty sure it was a rental from Trailshead.

parker

This was VERY LUCKY, you all agree.

All of these problems ( reckless driving / ignorance / trespassing / not staying on the trail, etc. ) are due to the Entire Sledding Community turning a blind-eye and for lack of better words ... tolerating it, with the attitude that " It's not my job to train them".
Reckless driving gets worse every season, Trespassing also.

This is a Wonderful Sport that is constantly threatened to be ended by STUPID. We're closer to the end as we know it than most think.

These problems need to be at the forefront of all entities involved in the sport. Until that happens, we reap what we choose to ignore.

Folks, this is way beyond throwing out brilliant ideas on forums. It's great that, the responsible folks here chime in and recognize the issues and the severity of their consequences. Without action, the consequences will be realized continually.

whitedust

All of these problems ( reckless driving / ignorance / trespassing / not staying on the trail, etc. ) are due to the Entire Sledding Community turning a blind-eye and for lack of better words ... tolerating it, with the attitude that " It's not my job to train them".

This is a Wonderful Sport that is constantly threatened to be ended by STUPID. We're closer to the end as we know it than most think.

These problems need to be at the forefront of all entities involved in the sport. Until that happens, we reap what we choose to ignore.

Folks, this is way beyond throwing out brilliant ideas on forums. It's great that, the responsible folks here chime in and recognize the issues and the severity of their consequences. Without action, the consequences will be realized continually.
I get what you are saying but confronting other riders on the trail gets hot quick. One can influence his pack but I don’t think it’s a good idea to try and tell others how and where to ride unless it’s your land. Been there done that and it escalates quickly. Just sharing my experience on the trail.

pclark

I have the option where I live to ride where and when I want, I choose to ride mainly during the week and stick pretty much to Vilas and the surrounding counties. In all my travels this year I have seen some things that make my brain steam a little like guys that just can't seem to stay on the trail and need to ride up and down the side of hills but that has always happened. I have not seen too many examples of people being terribly destructive to the point that a trail has to be closed. I know there are examples this year and that is not a good thing especially for the guys that maintain and keep these trails open for the greater good. Maybe I am just not riding in those places where the temptation is there to trespass or tear things up (most of my rides involve areas where there is not a huge concentration of riders or bars) but that is my choice. I have been following your posts and appreciate the fact that you are calling this out but I don't think it is as dire as you make it out to be. But......that is my opinion and we are all entitled to have one. Hope everyone has some great riding this weekend, you won't find the trail system in much better shape this late in the season. Stay safe (I don't think I need to tell this group to keep it on the trails)

lofsfire

I had an oddball situation a few weeks ago. I took my 12 year old for his first trail ride. We were in SW lower MI, just north of Kalamazoo. On the west side was more forest and the east side was more fields... As we were getting back in the fields we come to a road crossing There is a field on the other side of the street the trail runs next to a tree line on the right. The trail swoops to the left to make a right-hand turn to the right into the trees. The total length of the field is 1/10 of a mile. At the stop sign, there was no one behind us. About halfway down that field, I look back in my mirror to check on my son and I see headlights behind him. I start to pull to the right and stop and my son yells at me on the radio, Don't stop, go. I did what he said, assuming he thought he was going to not be able to stop. Then right off the back of my left shoulder, I have two guys flying around me at this point riding 3 wide on the trail (It was a field so there was room to the left, but still 3 wide and not on the trail.) The guy closest to me just felt like he was super close. My son was at least 50' behind me and said, those guys scared me, I thought the one was going to hit you. I said he was real close considering we are in a field. He was basically being inconsiderate. My son then says, I thought your only suppose to pass on the left? I said that is what he did, just really close. He says no dad, they both passed me at the same time and the guy that was really close to you passed me on the right then cut me off and passed you on the left and I was to the right side. When you start to stop I thought he was going to hit you. I had to make sure I understood him correctly. So we completely stopped at this point and talked to my son, face to face, to make sure I had the story straight. While I would have loved to have had a chat with these guys, the only way that would happen is if I left my son by himself and I was not doing that. One last thing from the stop to where these guys passed us we were going about 35. So not fast but we were not crawling a 10 either.

So the common theme here in all these posts is respect, courtesy, and common sense. All of which seem to be in short supply with a small segment of the population lately but have huge consequences.

Last edited:

pclark

I had an oddball situation a few weeks ago. I took my 12 year old for his first trail ride. We were in SW lower MI, just north of Kalamazoo. On the west side was more forest and the east side was more fields... As we were getting back in the fields we come to a road crossing There is a field on the other side of the street the trail runs next to a tree line on the right. The trail swoops to the left to make a right-hand turn to the right into the trees. The total length of the field is 1/10 of a mile. At the stop sign, there was no one behind us. About halfway down that field, I look back in my mirror to check on my son and I see headlights behind him. I start to pull to the right and stop and my son yells at me on the radio, Don't stop, go. I did what he said, assuming he thought he was going to not be able to stop. Then right off the back of my left shoulder, I have two guys flying around me at this point riding 3 wide on the trail (It was a field so there was room to the left, but still 3 wide and not on the trail.) The guy closest to me just felt like he was super close. My son was at least 50' behind me and said, those guys scared me, I thought the one was going to hit you. I said he was real close considering we are in a field. He was basically being inconsiderate. My son then says, I thought your only suppose to pass on the left? I said that is what he did, just really close. He says no dad, they both passed me at the same time and the guy that was really close to you passed me on the right then cut me off and passed you on the left and I was to the right side. When you start to stop I thought he was going to hit you. I had to make sure I understood him correctly. So we completely stopped at this point and talked to my son, face to face, to make sure I had the story straight. While I would have loved to have had a chat with these guys, the only way that would happen is if I left my son by himself and I was not doing that. One last thing from the stop to where these guys passed us we were going about 35. So not fast but we were not crawling a 10 either.

So the common theme here in all these posts is respect, courtesy, and common sense. All of which seem to be in short supply with a small segment of the population lately but have huge consequences.
You did the right thing by staying with your son and yes, its a small segment of the riders that are A$$holes.

russholio

I try to be optimistic, but on this subject I'm at a loss. You can't teach common sense. I fear this idiocy won't stop until our trail system is gone.

lofsfire

I try to be optimistic, but on this subject I'm at a loss. You can't teach common sense. I fear this idiocy won't stop until our trail system is gone.
Lost or lost as we know it. Watch any video of someone getting pulled over on YouTube on a sled. No matter how good the interaction is even if the person posting says how nice the cops were. There is always a hand full of them in the comments that are the, "They will never catch me, crowd, that chimes in."

russholio

Lost or lost as we know it. Watch any video of someone getting pulled over on YouTube on a sled. No matter how good the interaction is even if the person posting says how nice the cops were. There is always a hand full of them in the comments that are the, "They will never catch me, crowd, that chimes in."
True story. We're our own worst enemy. Last month on a ride a lady in our small group got pulled over and ticketed for rolling a stop sign (I was riding behind her and she was definitely guilty). Her response? She couldn't be upset because the ticketing officer (MI DNR) was hot. 🙄🤣