Staying at Crooked Creek outside Dubois, anyone have any info?

polarisrider1

Can anyone tell me the layout of the 2 story cabins at Crooked Creek? When I made our reservations I was told about how the sleeping areas were set up but I am wondering if there was enough lounging area for 5-6 guys in the living room area or if there are any tables or chairs? Anything else the cabin needs that I should bring from home? Just seems like whenever I stay at a new place there is always something I wish I would have brought, (like an electric heater for the bathroom at Ten Mile Inn in the Snowies). :D

I will put a heater on my 10 mile list, thank you! As far as the 2 story???? Maybe they are referring to the out house?

JasonF

I will put a heater on my 10 mile list, thank you! As far as the 2 story???? Maybe they are referring to the out house?

Memorable trip there, pulled into Ten Mile last season with a temp of -25f, ended up running my boot dryer in the bathroom cause there is only an electric heater in the living area. Sure felt like an outhouse! Ha ha

zimmbob

Seems to me that the trails take you right into the good stuff directly west of there. I'm just going off of the maps. I'm hoping it's fairly close. Don't mind riding 10 miles or so. Seems to be that or less on the maps. But maybe someone here knows for sure?

polarisrider1

Seems to me that the trails take you right into the good stuff directly west of there. I'm just going off of the maps. I'm hoping it's fairly close. Don't mind riding 10 miles or so. Seems to be that or less on the maps. But maybe someone here knows for sure?

I see that Crooked Creek is south of Lava Mtn. on the map. Never rode south of Lava only North, North west to west of Lava. Towards Togwotee and Brookes lake mainly. I do see all the trails just west of Crooked Creek but not really interested in them, they just draw traffic to an area.

zimmbob

I see that Crooked Creek is south of Lava Mtn. on the map. Never rode south of Lava only North, North west to west of Lava. Towards Togwotee and Brookes lake mainly. I do see all the trails just west of Crooked Creek but not really interested in them, they just draw traffic to an area.

Ya, understand what you are saying. We've never been there, so we need some way to get around without knowing where to go. Typically we head out on the trail and have a plan from there. Not afraid to dig deep and away from the trail, just thinking we need to get away from the ranch area, and then go exploring.

It's kinda like fishing..... a pro once told me.... boats catch boats, not fish. See it all the time out in Lake Mille Lacs in MN.

polarisrider1

Ya, understand what you are saying. We've never been there, so we need some way to get around without knowing where to go. Typically we head out on the trail and have a plan from there. Not afraid to dig deep and away from the trail, just thinking we need to get away from the ranch area, and then go exploring.

It's kinda like fishing..... a pro once told me.... boats catch boats, not fish. See it all the time out in Lake Mille Lacs in MN.

I am not going to LavaMtn. until 3rd week of March so fill us in when you get there.

zimmbob

Well, if this says anything, we came home 2 days early.....

For a couple of different reasons, but had the snow been better, we might have made the guy wait. We had an injury on day 2, so he sat around for a couple days waiting on the rest of us to get some riding in. Trouble was, it was pretty tough searching for fresh areas. We found some, but by Tuesday, almost everything was just beat up. And no new snow in the forecast around there. So, hope for more snow if you are going that way. We heard they got some more snow up by Togewotee, but not sure really how much.

Crooked Creek is a nice place. Convenient location. Can go south to get away from the Tog traffic or head north toward Tog and Lava Mtn and Brooks Lake. The Kitchenette was nice, but no Televisions. The "hotel rooms" are very tiny, with again, no Televisions, but they would do for a couple guys. The food was very good there, reasonable drink/beer prices. Not lots of choice on the food but it was good. The staff there was very nice. Met Leah, Kate, Davina..... all nice gals. Had fun at the bar. Don't care for the smokey place (since WY still allows smoking in bars and restaurants), but we managed through it. The guides and mechanics were super helpful when we needed a few things to tune up the sleds.

Overall, the trip was fine. Wouldn't say great, wouldn't say horrible. Bummer our buddy hurt his knee, but at least he was a champ and was ok with us riding a couple more days without him.

JasonF

What days were you there? We are leaving Thursday for CC, hopefully they get some new snow! Did you get a guide or go out on your own?

Well, if this says anything, we came home 2 days early.....

For a couple of different reasons, but had the snow been better, we might have made the guy wait. We had an injury on day 2, so he sat around for a couple days waiting on the rest of us to get some riding in. Trouble was, it was pretty tough searching for fresh areas. We found some, but by Tuesday, almost everything was just beat up. And no new snow in the forecast around there. So, hope for more snow if you are going that way. We heard they got some more snow up by Togewotee, but not sure really how much.

Crooked Creek is a nice place. Convenient location. Can go south to get away from the Tog traffic or head north toward Tog and Lava Mtn and Brooks Lake. The Kitchenette was nice, but no Televisions. The "hotel rooms" are very tiny, with again, no Televisions, but they would do for a couple guys. The food was very good there, reasonable drink/beer prices. Not lots of choice on the food but it was good. The staff there was very nice. Met Leah, Kate, Davina..... all nice gals. Had fun at the bar. Don't care for the smokey place (since WY still allows smoking in bars and restaurants), but we managed through it. The guides and mechanics were super helpful when we needed a few things to tune up the sleds.

Overall, the trip was fine. Wouldn't say great, wouldn't say horrible. Bummer our buddy hurt his knee, but at least he was a champ and was ok with us riding a couple more days without him.

zimmbob

What days were you there? We are leaving Thursday for CC, hopefully they get some new snow! Did you get a guide or go out on your own?

We were there from 2/8 to 2/13. It snowed about 6-8 inches on the night of 2/9. That helped a little, but not much. After that, no new snow. heard they got some fresh snow to the north near Lava and Tog, but it wasn't that much. We just were on our own, so we didn't really get super far out into the woods, just cuz we didn't have GPS and don't know the area enough. But we were a couple miles from the trails a few times. We did find some spots that were good, but most of it is tracked up within a few miles of the trails.

South is better. Less traffic. Although the big play area near Fish Lake (corner of Trails B and F) had some good spots. But with no new snow, I'm sure that is beat all to **** by now.

Last edited:

JasonF

I guess we will cross our fingers for some fresh snow. We have stayed at Togwotee many times and always have gotten a guide, well after last years trip we were looking at our GPS's and realized than on a few occasions the guides had taken us within 5 miles of CC so thats why we are giving it a shot. Thanks for the update!

JasonF

Well we are out here now and just finished up our fourth day of riding, one more to go. Not much fresh snow as of late but our guide has done a great job of finding over the hood powder each day, mix that with bluebird skies and its been a great time. DSCN3778.jpg DSCN3782.jpg

fireworks

We are 40 miles south of CC on CD trail in Cora, WY. Even though it hasn't been snowing if you can find untouched areas the snow is in great condition. We have been in 2-3 feet powder for 7 days. If your at CC head south and go past the Strawberry warming huts. That's when the trails become flat and then you will find the good stuff.