Steam floor cleaners

ragex2

My wifes turn for a new toy. She wants a steam floor cleaner, probably an Oreck Steam-It. We have laminate flooring and i'm concerned it might de-laminate it. Are these damageing to this type of floor? or OK?

polarisrider1

Steam does like to take things apart. I can't see where adding moisture to Laminate can help it. What does Oreck say the steamer can be used for? (I can't get the Oreck link to open).

lofsfire

<blink><font size="+2"><font color="ff0000">DO NOT USE IT FOR LAMINATE!</font></font></blink>

The steam will get in the cracks of the laminate and work its way to the pressed board at the bottom and will ruin it. In my opinion Stream is for tile and other seamless hard surface's. I say seamless b/c you could use a steamer on a laminate counter top or for the matter on the center of ONE plank of the laminate flooring and it would work fine. With the flooring the steam would get between the planks, and that is where you run in to problems. By the way most steamer will say, safe of use on laminate flooring. Not 100% true.

What kind of laminate do you have?

In our house we have two laminate flooring types Pergo laminate, and the Menard's "Special" laminate. Put both in our walk out basement. The Pergo was meant for the traffic areas and the Menard's stuff serves it's purpose of being cheep and giving the a storage room a nice finished look. Both look good but the Menard's stuff will slide apart and show small gaps. The Pergo looks like the day I installed it! Perfect after 3 years! And that is with two young boys. I have a laminate floor/ wood floor cleaning kit, it was like $10 or $20 @ HD. It came with a Windex size spray bottle and duster mop. Just spray and wipe as need.

ragex2

We have Quick-Step brand flooring, made in Germany I think, pretty good stuff. It locks together tightly at the seams, however some wallpaper remover was spilled on it once and swelled at the seams. But that is glue softener so I don't know if dry steam would be harmful or not.

polarisrider1

Not sure what Oreck means exactly when they say "Dry steam". Steam is not good for tile either. Some tiles soak up water more than others. Also the grout lets the water through. Steam is meant to take things apart. We repair alot of steam showers, because steam is doing its job. View tile as a decorative veneer, it is NOT bullet proof as a Sales man of the stuff would lead you to believe. The underlayment does the water resistant work more so than the tile.

lofsfire

polarisrider1 ~ Did not know that about tile soaking up water. I did know that the grout was pores, and that is why they tell you to use a sealer on the grout lines in shower.

I've never heard of "Dry steam" either.

Found this on Oreck's Website

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

We strongly suggest that you check the use and care instructions of your wood flooring manufacturer before using Steam-It or any steam cleaner. <font color="ff0000">Do NOT use a steam cleaner on any unsealed flooring.</font> Use of steam on an unsealed surface can cause warping and other damage to the finish on floors. We strongly suggest testing the Steam-It on an isolated inconspicuous area of your wood floor (in a corner or inside a closet if available) prior to overall use on any floor surface.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

<font color="ff0000">Laminate floors are unsealed flooring.</font>

Dry Steam from Oreck's Website
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

The water is put into a special tank that heats the water and changes it into a hot "dry" mist or vapor. The unique benefit of this system is that it produces low moisture, and high temperature vapor that carries only about 6% (six percent) water. We like to call this a "Dry" Steam Vapor because so little water is left behind and so little is used. Carpets are dry within minutes. Floors are also dry within a few minutes. This reduces the time and effort required for many tasks.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

polarisrider1

Mexican pavers (saltio) soak up the most. Thru body Porcelain very little absorbtion and glass tiles none. The more velspar in the tile the less they absorb.

ragex2

I got a response from Quick-Step regarding the use of these steam mops on their products. they said NO WAY, not suitable and will void the warrenty. Thanks to all who responded!