stuff for sale - is everything on facebook now?

pclark

My wife is a psychologist and we've talked a bit about Facebook. I closed my Facebook account over 10 years ago because I let it bug me too much at times - it was my fault to let it bug me. There is data suggesting that the more time people spend on social media, the more anxiety and depression they experience; generally, a decline in psychological health. I imagine people are continuing to study this in more detail.
I am older and not involved with FB, I agree with you that people seem to wrap themselves up in spending so much time on them it's non-productive. When I worked in an office I was shocked to see how many people spent the most of their time on a company computer socializing. I also think that it's not good for your mental health as you say. I am semi-retired now and do like this site because it seems to be more my speed. I always had good luck with Craiglist but definetly some weird stuff going with people trying to scam you. More so in bigger cities than where I live now.

ICT Sledder

My wife is a psychologist and we've talked a bit about Facebook. I closed my Facebook account over 10 years ago because I let it bug me too much at times - it was my fault to let it bug me. There is data suggesting that the more time people spend on social media, the more anxiety and depression they experience; generally, a decline in psychological health. I imagine people are continuing to study this in more detail.
There's more or less a documentary on the subject you speak of. Forget them name, but I'm pretty sure it is on Netflix.

wisco-mb

The Social Dilemma is the Netflix program. If You Are Not Paying, You Are The Product!
It was pretty well presented! Pretty scary.
I'm 36 and have seen FB from the start with my age group. I have refused to sign up. One main issue I saw from the start, was the amount of time people would spend on that platform. That's why I never signed up. I saw the danger in it.
I did see the positivity of connecting with old friends and family. But the negativity outweighed it!

It sucks that a lot of the marketplace is going to them now. I used to use CL a lot for purchases. Lately, I've needed to use my wife's FB account for searching marketplace. Luckily she shares the same perspective of mine. She is hardly on it.
I agree the search is terrible.

snomoman

I subscribed to Facebook when a friend of mine showed me an ad on marketplace for a Leslie speaker which I wanted to buy for my Hammond B3 Organ, that was the only reason I signed up, the person never got back to me but all the notifications I got was crazy, so I pulled my account from Facebook and never looked back, bring me the two Dixie cups and a string, that’s my medium of communication …ha ha