Suggestions for Colorado

snodogg

I am heading to Vallicito, CO for Xmas to spend with the soon-to-be In-Laws. Has anyone ever rode in this area? Trying to get an idea if it's worth hauling a sled out, possible rental options, snow conditions, etc... Any help is much appreciated!

bigmoose

I havent rode in that area, but I have rode at Rabbit Ears pass and Buffalo pass out of Steamboat Springs, Coloardo for four years and it will blow your mind the riding is so good. I dont know if where you are going if there are a lot of trails, but I can tell you that I wouldnt take a 121 inch track out there. You wouldnt go 50 feet off trail and you will be stuck. If you take one of your sleds you will need to re-jet and also re-clutch for the altitude. If you have any questions I might be able to help. Have fun out there, I am leaving for Steamboat January 2

nitroman

Ok Bigmoose whats the drive time from Steamboat lake outfitters to buffalo pass. We are heading to SLO the 8th of jan and would like to hit some different area's while we are there.

fireworks

SLO is 26 miles north of Steamboat Springs. Distance depends on where you ride from to get to Buffalo Pass. Are you going down to RE and heading Northwest to Buffalo Pass?

snodogg

Heading out day after Christmas. I talked to a guy at the dealer in Durango and he was very helpful. Said there is 6ft. of snow already, too much for a 121. He said there is a few areas with trails you can ride if a 121 is all you got, and that it'd be worth bringing one if it was all you got. From the sounds of it even a 136 with out paddles (like a switchback or renegade) is no good either?

snowbound

Vallecito/Durango is a great area that I've rode several times. Beaver Meadows is a nice place. Google San Juan Sledders Snowmobile Club, they have a lot of trail info, pictures, etc. that might be of some help.

snoluver1

All you guys that think a 121 can't be ridden in the moutains crack me up. They didn't even start making long tracks till the mid 90's. At least not from the factory. They have been snowmobileing in the mts a lot longer than that. Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug73m4is2B0

Sure you will be at a disadvantage compared to a long track, but there is still plenty of fun to be had on a shorty. I myself have way more fun on a short track in the powder. I currently ride a 141 and would never go any longer!

snodogg

I kind of agree with ya on the 121, I've always been one to say you got to ride whatever you got!

Anyways I am picking up my new switchback on wed. and leaving friday as soon as this big storm John is promising passes. Cant Wait! Thanks for your help snowbound, I'll definetly check that out!

snodogg

Got back from my trip and had a great time. rode mostly on Vellcito/Middle Mountain and went to Beaver Meadows one day. The 136 Switch worked great, got me wherever I wanted to go. There was 5-6 ft at the tops and I only got stuck once due to a real bone-head move on the first day. Now getting my future brother in-law unstuck was another story! you could of easily got around on a 121 and had a blast. posted some pics in the guest gallery!