Switch to long tracks

09summitetec

We have two 146 and a 151 in our group. i know this is going to start a poop storm, but if you are riding that hard and that fast to notice a significant difference between a 121 and 136, they are missing you at the local race track. Help me with the math, but the difference is 15 inches total, but only part of that 15 is on the snow, so 60% of the 15 in difference is 9 inches. at speeds under 50-60 in corners can you really tell? really? I have seen a 151 leave short tracks in the dust, so we'll start the posts on rider ability which is huge. My 146 does fine at normal trail speeds commuting to off trail, no darting. Also, the no sway bar "death ride" is a myth, two trail hops hard in the twisties with quick release off the sway bar and not a huge difference. I am by no means a super trail racer dude, but i think you have to be quite a master to appreciate the difference in these track lengths on the trail.
Hey going the other way, try a short track in the off trail just for fun, some guys make it look easy!

I'm with docbubba. The only time I notice much difference for trail riding between my 146 and a shorty is in rough trails which, thanks to all groomer drivers out there, I just don't seem to encounter more than a few times a year anymore.

dfattack

Have 121" Apex GT and 136" Attak. I have set up the suspensions through thorough research online (totallyamaha) and will say I prefer the 136" track overall when set up properly. I will not buy another 121" including the new 128" version of the Apex. I don't install picks on any sled since I don't want to tear up my garage floor. The 121" track without picks is not enough rubber for the Apex IMO. Back end wanders a lot (although my son likes the tail sliding out in the corners). 136" attak/Apex LTX tracks a lot better and hooks up the power much better as well. I have the attak dialed in where i can keep up with anyone with the smaller track in the twisties. it took some time with Yamaha's infamous ski lift and push, but once figured out I wouldn't buy another 121"/128" track.

As far as bridging bumps, don't know that I can tell that much difference. For me, again it's not enough rubber considering the horsepower the machine is putting out. After re-valving and replacing the rear spring on the Ohlins monoshock I noticed the biggest improvement on how it handled the bumps. This pertains to both the Apex short track and long track.

Next machine...trade in or sell the 2006 Apex GT and get the 2011 Apex XTX 144"

crash0

I bought a prox2 about 2 weeks ago. It has a 136 x 2 inch on it. I put down about 200 miles so far. Trails ditches and fields. I'm not changing a thing. For someone who doesn't mountain ride, I feel this is the perfect combination. The slides seem to hold up just fine. Slides are cheap if I have to replace them more often. The hook up this thing has is worth it.

mrarctic

Got the new 2010 Sno Pro 500 i think that sled is very under looked for the price you pay its amazing i dont consider it a long track but its amazing best 8 grand i ever spent sorry for beinf off topic i used to ride an m8 for boondocking and any more then 15 or 20 miles was painfull for me. so i traded that in and got the sno pro and you really cant beat it amazing off trail and great on trail on the break in trip put 252.5 miles on it and wow

xcr440

Maybe the newer sleds handle differently, but I really liked the 136" I had compared to the 121" I now have on pretty much ALL the riding I do. Better bite out of the hole, better floatation off trail (I'm about a 70/30 Trail/Off rider) and with the snow I've ridden on this year, LOTS of snow, my memory of the 136" capabilities would clearly be the better choice for me.

I'm not all about making the inside corner of every twisty trail, not exactly safe to even be attempting that. In fact, I actually TRY to ride the outside of the left turn corners, because I'm riding on the snow, not the iced or dug out corner that way, and to me, that is way more fun than being the quickest through the trail.

snowdance

I have an 06 Switchback 600 HO 144" Love it on and off trail. The rails are tipped up in the rear so you don't have all 144" on the trail.

My question is what is the sway bar? what does it do? and why would somebody remove/disconnect it?

xcswitch

I'm sorry DOCBUBBA but I disagree with you on may things. First of all the guy asked what we liked about longer tracks. His second reply was relating to 144 or longer sleds. I guess I should have keep quite since I only ride 136 but do have a guy in our group with a 144 yahama. Do the math on that track and you will be suprised to see how much of that track doesn't touch the ground. This guy went from a short track RX1 to nytro XTX. Your telling us we wouldn't know a difference of a smoother ride without going to our local race track. Really, give me a break. Out of 8 guys one stayed with a 121". He was the only one complaining about his back still hurting from riding in northern Wisconssin on last saturday-the high traffic day. I kept my 121 for my son to ride. He is begging to get a switchback for he can tell the ride difference. We do 95% trail riding and have all agreed that the longer the track gives a smoother ride on rough trails and digs out of the deeper snow with ease. If you can cross the moguls without dipping into them every time wouldn't your ride improve to a better ride? Not to compare oranges to apples but every pickup i bought got bigger. 4 door long box rides better then a 2 door short box. I went from a 260" semi to a 275" semi. The longer the length on every vehicle I've owned has improved every ride every time, but have given up the turning ability on every thing also.

shoelessjoe

Also just a thought but rider forward Doos for example look like they have a lot of track behind them & only 121 MXZs.

Funny the timing of this, my wife was asking the same thing today while riding. Yep it seems like half or more of the newer sleds are long tracks. 144. Especially the poos and doos.

I think that these two comments are probably on the same wave length.

With the short seats and exposed tunnel style that the new doo's and poo's have it makes them look longer than they really are. You are probably seeing some 121's in the mix and a lot of 136 inch crossover sleds. I guess it depends on personal opinion if you consider those "long tracks" or not though.

My new AC Crossfire has a 141 inch track but is no longer than my bro-inlaw's 136 inch sled. Looks long with the shorty seat on it and all that tunnel hanging out back

sxrron

I have a 144" SB and love it, rode 150 miles yesterday of mostly on trail and it handled fine. I will not go back to a 121" and I have been riding for 35 yrs.

nic

Personal preference I guess. With the new rider forward position- I honestly didn't notice that big of a difference in the ride between my 121 and a friend's 136 switchback. I'm also a female so I think size has something to do w/ it. I can see if you were bigger, the longer track would make a big difference in your ride. But I do agree- you definitely see more 'longer' tracks now than 5+ yrs ago. Back in the day- you were either riding a standard short track/.75 or 1 in lug. Or you were riding a mountain sled- 144+ w/ 2 or more in lug. There are so many in betweens these days, longer tracks, yet not huge lugs... tipped up long tracks, etc- that it makes them more versatile. For those that like to do a little off trail now and then, these seem to be good options b/c they're not much (if any) different to manuever in the trails. I'm happy w/ my short track and don't do off trail, so don't see myself switching anytime soon. But it's definitely getting more popular.