T130 vs 900R

SledTL

I am curious if anyone on here has had some seat time between the two engines. I am specifically wanting to know about the ITC throttle on the T130 and the re-calibration. I've ridden both a 2016 900 n/a and 2019 900 turbo 150 and to be honest the throttle is trash. I find the lack of feedback more tiring than having a throttle cable, and ridiculously jumpy on the trail. I am currently on a viper and really love the big n/a engine. I feel connected to the engine, and can blip the throttle to easily lift the skis off driveway approaches and rolling hills. I have not ridden a 1200 doo but believe that it is nearly identical to the feel of a viper. Does the 130 accomplish this being that its the targeted replacement, or is the 900R the better option here? The HP numbers don't really concern me, its more in the playfulness of the engine as an aggressive groomed ditch/trail sled.

There was a thread a while back titled 2024 Ski-Doo that touched on the Turbo 130 throttle. My input from owning a 2022 Enduro with the 900 turbo 130 was that there was no throttle lag in Standard or Sport modes - instant response. MPG was better than our current 2017 - 2018 1200's which is around 15 - 16 but I don't know if I got 20 mpg with the T130. Loved the T130 engine - the horsepower of the T130 was right in the ballpark as the 1200, but the turbo 130 was much quicker. And it had an aggressive exhaust tone - sounded great. I also had a 2017 Enduro with the 900 ace n/a - it had a slight throttle lag but was quick up to 60 mph, then fell off sharply. The 2017 Enduro 900 n/a felt really light and handled great. The 2022 T130 Enduro felt bigger and heavier. Part of that is the difference in the XS and Gen4 chassis. I never rode a 900T 150 or a new 900R. If you have a choice, I'd go with the T130 engine package for a nice responsive trail package - I loved mine. Hope this helps.

whitedust

I have the 150 900T and ride in standard most of the time and just spools out differently than sport Standard is much easier on the shoulders where sport is high strung and Yamaha riders prefer 150 sport to standard. On grades when I want to get on it sport is better. I found no difference in top end 150 sport or standard top end 102 ish mph on grade. Also no difference in mpg sport or standard but big jump into the 20s for eco.

SledTL

There was a thread a while back titled 2024 Ski-Doo that touched on the Turbo 130 throttle. My input from owning a 2022 Enduro with the 900 turbo 130 was that there was no throttle lag in Standard or Sport modes - instant response. MPG was better than our current 2017 - 2018 1200's which is around 15 - 16 but I don't know if I got 20 mpg with the T130. Loved the T130 engine - the horsepower of the T130 was right in the ballpark as the 1200, but the turbo 130 was much quicker. And it had an aggressive exhaust tone - sounded great. I also had a 2017 Enduro with the 900 ace n/a - it had a slight throttle lag but was quick up to 60 mph, then fell off sharply. The 2017 Enduro 900 n/a felt really light and handled great. The 2022 T130 Enduro felt bigger and heavier. Part of that is the difference in the XS and Gen4 chassis. I never rode a 900T 150 or a new 900R. If you have a choice, I'd go with the T130 engine package for a nice responsive trail package - I loved mine. Hope this helps.
So you have had a 1200 previously? The price of a 130X is much more reasonable and I think more useable power vs the 180 despite me wanting to go big time. I don't really mind the weight, as the Viper is no feather. It sounds like the throttle recalibration really helped things out.

goofy600

Have not been on a 130t but can tell you the 900r (180) will pull your arms off and beat you with them if your not ready for it. Very little use for sport mode trail riding, half the time in the twisty’s I put it in eco mode which lets you just go and not jump coming out of corners.

whitedust

Have not been on a 130t but can tell you the 900r (180) will pull your arms off and beat you with them if your not ready for it. Very little use for sport mode trail riding, half the time in the twisty’s I put it in eco mode which lets you just go and not jump coming out of corners.
Me too I totally into less is more really feel 140hp about all anyone can use in trails. Darren rides the Mach in standard too. Doo coupler easy enough to to click for wheelies if that’s a thing.

SledTL

Lots of wide trails in Northern MN where I ride mostly. 180 would be more along the lines of a big sheet eating grin every time I grab some throttle, but also know that too much is sometimes not fun.

whitedust

Lots of wide trails in Northern MN where I ride mostly. 180 would be more along the lines of a big sheet eating grin every time I grab some throttle, but also know that too much is sometimes not fun.
If you want it buy it then you will reach a point where you will wonder why you need all that Hp. I hit the wall at 165hp and used every pony now on the way down to useable trail Hp. Doos power modes which I never thought I would use taught me less is more. Some hit the wall at 180 hp others never get there will chip up to 300hp seems crazy to me. 850 turbo seems nuts to me too for trails just doesn’t make sense for useable trail Hp. Highly doubtful that I would buy 900r but never say never but I’m sure I’ll never purchase 850 turbo. Market wise how much further increase in HP will the OEMs go for trail sleds??? Powder I get it HP is king in the mountains. PWC market decided to limit Hp I’m thinking snowmobiles going to do the same thing. Fuel efficiency of doo engines is amazing another benefit I never thought about until I got it. 🤷‍♂️

dfattack

My 2 cents.

It's all about how you ride. Everyone does their own thing. We ride with others who ride slower and some a little faster like me and my son. When we were out west this year we ended up splitting our group into two (slower and faster riders). Some in the faster group had 600's and when we would stop they would tell me that there were sections (miles) that they had the throttle pinned just to keep up. Wide open trails, great visibility. Not sure how good that is for a sled to be running at WOT for miles. So again. depends on your style of riding. if you open it up on occasion then get the higher horsepower. If not, go with the smaller HP. I will say the 600's were drinking the gas at an incredible rate. In fact several had to use their spare gas to make it back. We did not. My personal opinion is you get the amount of HP based on your riding style and the type of trails you like to ride. Obviously if you ride powder then like Whitedust said power is king.

The throttle issue on older doo's is fixed as far as I can tell. Earlier versions had the throttle lag and doo was trashed on dootalk because of it. I have a 2021 850 and a 2022 900r. Both pull great and suit our riding style perfectly. My 2012 apex XTX motor is very similar to my 2022 900r as far as throttle pull etc. I don't use launch control ever so I'm not comparing that. Never Ride in sport mode. Always standard/regular and use eco to load and unload, parking lots, crossing roads when it's icy and pulling into my garage. Love ECO for this.

hope this helps and good luck

snobuilder

I have the 150 900T and ride in standard most of the time and just spools out differently than sport Standard is much easier on the shoulders where sport is high strung and Yamaha riders prefer 150 sport to standard. On grades when I want to get on it sport is better. I found no difference in top end 150 sport or standard top end 102 ish mph on grade. Also no difference in mpg sport or standard but big jump into the 20s for eco.
Yamaha guys say the 2012 and up 130 HP NA 1050cc EPS Vector or 2011 and up160hp NA 998cc EPS Apex is all that , a bag a chips, $12000left in your account and no unecessary plumbing to fix. What does alla the plumbing weigh?...Can't be free weight. Where does alla that turbo heat end up? What will alla that extra engineering cost to fix down the road. Snowmobiling has become WAAAY too complex.
KISS

Last edited:

whitedust

Yamaha guys say the 2012 and up 130 HP NA 1050cc EPS Vector or 2011 and up160hp NA 998cc EPS Apex is all that , a bag a chips, $12000left in your account and no unecessary plumbing to fix. What does alla the plumbing weigh?...Can't be free weight. Where does alla that turbo heat end up? What will alla that extra engineering cost to fix down the road. Snowmobiling has become WAAAY too complex.
KISS
Turbo technology is reliable on 4s not sure on 850 2s that could be expensive and go boom. Yamaha has turbo 4s too

snobuilder

Turbo technology is reliable on 4s not sure on 850 2s that could be expensive and go boom. Yamaha has turbo 4s too
Reliable? heavy, hot, unnecessary when NA HP is already available and we will see about resale when parts need replacing. The turbo BOOOST is what might get you into a head on in a corner with a ricky racer that you all complain about.

whitedust

Reliable? heavy, hot, unnecessary when NA HP is already available and we will see about resale when parts need replacing. The turbo BOOOST is what might get you into a head on in a corner with a ricky racer that you all complain about.
Unquestionable NA is a better set up.

So you have had a 1200 previously? The price of a 130X is much more reasonable and I think more useable power vs the 180 despite me wanting to go big time. I don't really mind the weight, as the Viper is no feather. It sounds like the throttle recalibration really helped things out.
Yes - had 1200's since 2013. Ordered the T130 in a 2022 Enduro and had it almost a year until it got t-boned and totaled. Back on a 1200 Renegade now. Love the 1200's - they are great engines but the T130 seemed quicker. Ride in Eco mode in the twistys with both engines, loading and unloading. IMO both are great engines.