Tachometer and lights out on '99 Phazer

mattyp

Hi everyone,

I have a '99 phazer that I let my boys ride and the lights and tachometer recently went out. Everything else is fine and the sled does run. Now, I am not very versed when it comes down to the "inner workings" of a sled, let alone one that is 20 years old. They did go out when it was very wet/slushy and when looking at the wiring, etc., everything seems to be fine. Would like to avoid bringing it in if possible. Any thoughts on what may be causing this or what I should "check"?

Thanks in advance!!

maddogg

Not a Yamaha guy at all. If it were a Polaris, I'd start with taking a hair dryer to the wiring harness and checking the voltage regulator, then move onto the stator. Not bashing Yami, just don't own one. I'm sure other more experienced people will chime in.

mikedrh

The stator on that machine (as with many other makes and models) has dedicated/separate coils for the lighting and the ignition. So what you do know is that the lighting part of the stator and/or the wiring for that circuit is not working and possibly just unplugged. The tach also runs off the lighting side of the stator. The stator generates AC voltage, the tach translates those AC pulses into a needle reading. Start with a simple OHM reading on the stator, you should be able to google that and get the spec. My guess would be regulator or wiring but you'll know for sure after the OHM test.

mattyp

Thanks guys. Had a chance to "take a look" wanting to use your suggestions, yet could not even find where the voltage regulator or stator are located. Could not find a "diagram" of the engine either on-line. Yes, showing my lack of knowledge, but I except that. Might just have to bring it in.

Any one else have any thoughts? Sucks to be a "novice" at things in life!! Thanks!

maddogg

Everyone is a novice at something. I do things to my equipment and my buddies are like that should only take 5 seconds, not hours lol.