--Team Yellow--ETEC G2 coming to ski-doo

momoney2123

Article released yesterday in french and translated. Talks about the natural direction of the ETEC g2 into snowmobiling. :cool: Also good to see how much they are investing into R&D

José Boisjoli:
passion of the boss

José Boisjoli directs the destinies of BRP for nearly 17 years. Lit by the same passion as the day he was named Entrepreneur of the Year in Quebec by Ernst & Young in 2014. Under his leadership, BRP has regained its number one position in the snowmobile industry; it is also he who orchestrated the launch of the new and Spyder, which with the Spark, raised cheap PWC. Last month, the International Exhibition of the Miami boat, he went to pick for the seventh consecutive year the Innovation Award of the American Association of Marine Manufacturers, given this time to the new Evinrude G2. La Presse was there and spoke with the man behind BRP.

Q: Innovation seems more than ever BRP development engine. Is the game worth the candle?

A: It was the belief that in our field, if we find the right product, we can change that. We invest 4.5% of our revenues in research and development. Our competitors are around 3.7% to 4%. We will continue like that. There are 15 years, there was a company with two products. A diversification strategy was established to collect as many dealers worldwide. Today we have six well-diversified product lines, for four seasons. R & D ensures dealers that we will always come up with new products.

Q: There certainly has new projects in the works?

A: We started our discussions with the Board to determine whether adding another product line: could it be motocross, street bike? There are actually several types of vehicles that are considering adding to our catalog related products. By cons, there is another philosophy that encourages diversification in areas adjacent to those we already operates. We are at the beginning of our discussions. One thing is sure, we have to start a new phase of development, but there is talk of a horizon of three years or more.
Advertisement

Q: Now that the company is publicly traded, it must also satisfy shareholders. The action of BRP has also bottomed out in early February.

A: Our profitability allocation has been 40% for the first half of the fiscal year and 60% for the second. With the G2 Evinrude engine shipped in November and the new Spyder F3 in January, we had planned a special distribution of 30-70, which was a challenge to explain to investors. But the long winter that we experienced in 2014 has affected our sales of summer products, but it has instead been very favorable for snowmobiling. This has further unbalanced distribution of our sales between the two periods, to the point to move to 20-80. Investors are a little skeptical to see if we will deliver the goods, it is up to us to prove it.

Q: Despite all the innovations that you have earned dozens of awards around the world, your products still appear to suffer from a problem of perception among the general public ...

A: It is clear that there is still a perception problem. People in the community recognize that BRP is an innovator in the field. Naturally, there was all these people around who do not want to see a motor boat on a lake, which does not want to see snowmobiles in their fields. These are all people we have to convince and as many reasons that push us to innovate to happen with cleaner vehicles. We must convince people that we are on the outskirts legitimate.

Q: Speaking of public relations, the recent Spyder TV advertising campaign featuring Mark Messier and Danica Patrick was dubbed in French to the public in Quebec. It was not a little awkward coming from a company with us?

A: We had a discussion internally about it, and we could make a mistake. We must understand that Quebec is less than 5% of our turnover, although it remains an important market and we have to continue to play our role in society. So we try to keep the balance between what we do here and what is made abroad. We wanted to rely on strong personalities in the United States, and to compensate, we went to get Luc Robitaille, well known in Quebec. Are we ought not to present the commercials and Patrick Messier in Quebec? May be. But we thought it was better to present a Messier translates as not to show it at all.

Q: With the opening in 2017 of a third plant in Juarez, Mexico will become the largest production center BRP. Quebec employees should they worry?

A: All our competitors have global operations, we are doomed to globalization. We have employees in 26 countries, our products are sold in 105, but our most important site remains Valcourt, although there will soon be more factory workers in Mexico. Our strategy is clear with our employees: our intention is to keep the current stable manufacturing sites, but growth will be in markets that allow us to benefit from better cost labor.

Q: By cons, you will continue to test your products yourself at home?

A: Of course! I try all our vehicles, most of the time with my wife. I am pampered, along the with pleasure. Besides, after a week of work, a day of Spyder, snowmobile or personal watercraft allows me to forget everything. In addition, I met my best friends by testing my vehicles. Our products help to expand our circle of friends, it is a real social activity. For me, there is nothing more rewarding.

Enlarge

Provided by BRP
Evinrude E-TEC G2: the outboard reinvented

With its ETEC G2, Evinrude persists and signs, and goes further than the first generation of its two-stroke engine with direct injection. Launched in the fall, the G2 is the result of research BRP innovation centers in Valcourt, Austria and Wisconsin. It has been refined through simulation tools developed in collaboration with the University of Wisconsin, and engineers were able to reduce the level of emissions engine beyond all international standards in the marine industry .

While increasing the torque, which makes it lightweight two-stroke engine, more than ever suitable for marine applications. "It is necessary to rely on a lot of torque to exit a boat in the water to return as quickly as flat to the surface, where power requirements are much lower, says Alain Villemure, Vice President and General Manager BRP marine propulsion systems. The same situation occurs when cornering or when pulling a skier. Over the engine is requested, it consumes more gasoline. "

If BRP has continued to develop the two-stroke engine, while its competitors were abandoning is that it was possible to establish synergies within the Valcourt company. "The outboard enables us to support snowmobiling and vice versa. The advantage to work in two distinct markets is enormous, says Mr. Villemure, met at the Miami Boat Show. The applications are a little different and therefore allow to change the product. These two industries that allow us to make the necessary investments in research and development. "G2 engine technology will therefore naturally soon find themselves under the hood of Ski-Doo and Lynx, we confirmed the President José Boisjoli .

G2 engine mechanics is revolutionary, but its design is the same. First outboard motor designed around an exoskeletal structure, which allows the customer to choose the panels and accents of different colors. "People are likely to be struck by the G2 design, says Jason Eckman, Product Manager at BRP marine propulsion systems. But within a year, they are all the other engines that have exceeded the air. "

"At BRP, we are responsible for all aspects related to the use of the products, continues Alain Villemure, who was previously responsible for vehicle development at BRP. We arrive in the middle of the outboard engine, where our role would be limited to a mere supplier of propulsion systems? We do not see it like that. "Thus the G2 engine is offered with a host of new features such as integrated hydraulic steering, automatic correction system of assessment and a clean guy that route all the cables to the motor in a single tube.

That's one reason why many experts talk about the G2 as the outboard motor of the future, nothing less.

snobuilder

FRENCHY SEZ;
"Q: With the opening in 2017 of a third plant in Juarez, Mexico will become the largest production center BRP. Quebec employees should they worry?

A: All our competitors have global operations, we are doomed to globalization. We have employees in 26 countries, our products are sold in 105, but our most important site remains Valcourt, although there will soon be more factory workers in Mexico. Our strategy is clear with our employees: our intention is to keep the current stable manufacturing sites, but growth will be in markets that allow us to benefit from better cost labor."

Not to pick on BRP alone for exploiting cheap labor but earliier in the interview it asked about where advertising $$ gets spent.

Me thinks very little advertising money will be wasted in advertising to those same low waged 3rd world inhabitants who will never be able to enjoy "recreation" products that they slave over at very low wages.

Which always puzzles me in that as corporations continue to seek lower and lower wages in 3rd world countries,
which also lowers wages in soon to be gone first world countries,.....eventually who will be able to buy and consume
their products?
Seems like a downward spiral to me....Henry Ford's ideas seem doomed to corporate greed to the very small percentage of humans at the top.

old abe

Right on snobuilder! It seems Henry was just a bit smarter. The greed of upper corp management is nothing but ugly. An old friend of mine said it this way. There is just too much "Hurray for me, and to **** with you!" in this world anymore.