Tech Help on a Truck.............

danzo

Not sure if this is posted in right spot but oh well i guess. 92 Ford Ranger 4WD. I have a bad U-Joint on the Front axle and would like to maybe get a heads up on replacing it. Im unemployed right now so taking it to a shop is no go. It is the Passenger side outer joint that is bad. My guess is I will need to pull off the hub and also pull off the pumpkin cover and remove the axle retain clip and would hope the whole passenger side axle will pull out?? I am just concerned that maybe something will need a "specialty" tool or something add like that? If anyone has any good info on this fix its appreciated!! Thanks!

snow_monkey

You may need a hub socket other than that I do not think it was hard, it pulled right out. You need to pre-inspect the boots. It was easier to replace the u-joint locked into a vise. I think you could have a retaining clip remover to help pull the clips out on the u-joint. I remember beating on it with a hammer to free it from the mud encrusted part.

jmvette427

ujoint

danzo: the rt axle has a slip joint and if you have lubed , the shaft and outer ujoint comes off the slip joint . remove wheel, lockhub, keyway retainer, caliper and pads then the axle nut , rotorand inner brgs, then 6 spindle nuts , beat spindle [not on threads] to break loose, remove spindle, then axle shaft must be pushed thru the opening,in the knuckle {big pry bar}, then put axle in vise and change u joint, reverse procedure to assemble , examine spindle needle bearings on inside of spindle, make sure you lube before assembly , you do not remove the rt stub shaft from the differential , jim

anonomoose

While there is no reason you can't do this job yourself, Dan...seems that it would be wise to get a bit of help from a friend or another John Dee'r who has the right tools and confidence to get this done right the first time.

There are some right and wrong ways to do this, as you can see from VETTE, who clearly knows what he is talkin about...it sounds like you might be a bit limited on tools and/or knowhow to get thru this.

Reminds me of the time, a front axle went out on me in far northern Ontario, back down deep in the woods, hundreds of miles from tools or dealer.

Having never done this before or even knowing this could happen, I proceeded to take that whole front axle assembly apart on a GM truck(short one 17 mm wrench) and was able to get it done, in the rain, while it was 36 degrees with numb fingers, and get the truck out of the quagmire, and 500 miles home, without 4 wheel drive..and minus one axle shaft, where I got the scoop on the axle, and repaired it only to have the other one go bad a few months later (ah, but I knew exactly what to do on that one, don't yah know....).

You would be surprised what you can do when you absolutely have to, but remember that it is always better to take a friend who has been there before on this ride, so that you can save some time and aggravation.

Good luck with this project.

danzo

Thanks JM........

I see what your saying after looking at it a bit closer. Only thing Im concerned about is everything being rusted tight on this thing. Truck has 182K on it. I have the tools needed to do it as it looks like no "specialty" tools are needed. Not in a huge rush to get it done in one day either as I have my Vette as a backup but wasnt happy driving it in the rain the last couple days!. Thanks for the info and I'll holler for you if i run into problems....Thanks

jmvette427

Pump it up

you might want to start soaking the rt slip yoke , if there is a grease fitting PUMP IT UP! you may be able to pump grease in to push shaft out after the other stuff removed , let me know if you need help jim

danzo

jmvette...what the **** do you use to get the spindle nut off??? Its a odd looking six sided nut that is 2 3/8" I went out and bought the $30 socket at sears and it didnt work...just spun on the nut. Auto zone had a "special" spindle nut socket that i rented and that wasnt big enough to fit the nut. I called my Ford dealer and those $^&*((&*** told me they have a "special Ford tool" that they use and they dont rent it out. Told me to bring it in and theyll fix it! ***!! All I can think now is maybe finding a 2 3/8 open end wrench and try to get it on the nut to get it off hoping that the studs dont get in the way of getting the wrench on the nut??? This truck has served me well but I tell you right now that just because of this stupid engineering on this my Ford truck days will be over...thats how pissed I am about this! Any ideas??

jmvette427

oh nuts

danzo , the big nut has a tiny insert that is in the slot in the spindle, you must get that out or the nut will not be able to be removed , try a magnet to slide it out, we have used a blow gun with light air pressure to blow out but dont lose it , then you can use a chisel to rotate the retaining nut , if you want to call me tomorrow at work its koenecke ford , 608-524-4361 jim mayers

danzo

Yeah, the kid at autozone told me he did his in laws truck and said the deal about the keyway. he said use a magnet also and me and machzdoo messed with it for a hour trying to get the dam thing out. didnt try the air but is it even accesible from the back to try and blow it out??? I tryed the chisel thing but I guess thats why it didnt turn because of that keyway. the magnet we used didnt work for crap. We still are amazed though at what a stupid design this is. A guy cant even hardly do a brake job on it cause of all this screwing around just to get the rotor off. Also the slip joint is free as it is easily moving in and out when we pushed it in. Thanks agian jmvette for the help! Dan

jmvette427

retainer

you use compresed air on the outside just put the blow nozzle on the top part of the keeper and try , but you may have to work the nut back and forth to find the sweet spot , its good the axle is free in the slip yoke !!

danzo

jmvette...ok, got the pin out after finding the "sweet spot" like you said. Got the hub off and got the 5 spindle nuts off but am stuck agian!! Is the spindle pressed into its hub?? Ive been beating on it and it doesnt want to separate from its hub. Not much area to hit it on as bearing surface and threads are all on the shaft which just leaves a little of the hub to hammer on. Will it come apart if it just keeps getting beat on or is there a "tool for this also?? Thanks ..dan

jmvette427

just beat it just beat it

a heavy brass hammer , dont hit the threads there is a socket that threads on the spindle which a slide hammer screws into but usually a ford ttech would only have just like the spindle nut wrench , by now you have destroyed the spindle or it broke loose , once it moves try to hit the other way so it doesnt cock and get wedged in the hole , its a tight fit , try to hit down then left then right then up once it starts to move work it girl!!! this is ford country dont be afraid to wack it ? just dont buggar the threads !!!

danzo

Hey its off!!! Got it apart and the shaft came out nicely. Am getting the joint today and should have it back on the road. Thanks for all the help jmvette...its really appreciated!
Thanks Again
Dan

jmvette427

inner spindle needle bearing

danzo good job but flat rate for this job is 1.8 hrs not days LOL , just double check the inner spindle needle bearing lube it up good with wheel bearing grease, when reassembling jim