Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller

markf419

I just installed a lightly used Prodigy controller I got from friend along with the correct vehicle harness. All the indicators in the display show everything's ok and function properly, but I noticed that the trailers brake lights don't come on when I use the manual lever. My friend said his trailer brakes worked fine while driving with it and says he never noticed if his lights came on or not with the manual lever. I haven't had a chance yet to drive it yet to ck if the brakes are actually activated when hit em manually. I reconnected my old controller to the new harness to ck and sure enough, lights came on. Does anyone here use the Prodigy and know if the manual lever is supposed to activate the lights?

ezra

what kind of truck?
I just put a OEM ford controller in a 12 f150 and I had to bring truck in to get re flashed for it to work correct. $85bucks for 15min wish I could charge that kind of money

markf419

what kind of truck?
I just put a OEM ford controller in a 12 f150 and I had to bring truck in to get re flashed for it to work correct. $85bucks for 15min wish I could charge that kind of money

I have a 05 Dodge. My buddy that I got the controller from has a 04. They both take the same harness from the controller to the truck. I'm hoping the controller isn't bad cuz they're $125 units and my old time based one works for crap with the bigger trailer I now have. I was looking at the MaxBrake and the Hensley TruControl but them suckers are like $400 and the Prodigy and the P3 from Tekonsha are the next highest recommended controllers. I read that Ford partnered with Tekonsha to develop the OEM controllers. They work thru the trucks computer, ABS and a brake pressure transducer, which is why your truck needed reflashed since it wasn't factory installed.

Last edited:

srt20

IIRC my brake lights didnt work either with my prodigy. I took it out and put in an old electric controller. Works ALOT better than the prodigy.

russholio

I don't know if it's related to your problem, and I don't know if my lights come on when using the manual lever, but....when I installed mine, it wasn't working right so I called Tekonsha. Turns out I had to change some of the wiring on the the Prodigy's plug because GM had changed some of the wiring in the block. Tech said GM had a habit of doing that and didn't really tell anybody. Might be worth a call to Tekonsha. Once it was wired correctly, it works great.

markf419

I don't know if it's related to your problem, and I don't know if my lights come on when using the manual lever, but....when I installed mine, it wasn't working right so I called Tekonsha. Turns out I had to change some of the wiring on the the Prodigy's plug because GM had changed some of the wiring in the block. Tech said GM had a habit of doing that and didn't really tell anybody. Might be worth a call to Tekonsha. Once it was wired correctly, it works great.

I did read on etrailers.com that GM changed the wiring order in their plug in 03. They used the same plug but you had to switch 2 wires around.

Dave_B

I had one that wasn't working properly either. (2007 Suburban Z71). Took it to the local RV dealer and the had it fixed in 5 minutes, $0.00. That was a Draw Tite tho. My 2005 Yukon XL just needed a fuse added under the hood. Works great!

I have a factory Prodigy in my Touareg and still haven't figured out how to work the stupid thing right.

My advice, get the cheaper Draw Tite. It works better anyways.

JMO

Dave

Not sure about your problem with the brake lights but I do know that my Prodigy works well Itow a very heavy trailer behind a 1ton 15,000 lbs and the weight changes quite often, and with how adjustable the unit is, making the adjustments is very easy, from load to load. I also change it with city driving and Highway so its not sending you through the windshield I have not tried the Draw Tite but really do like my Prodigy and if you got it for free even better.

markf419

Just called Tekonsha. They said the original Prodigy with the red display does not activate the brake lights with the manual lever, but all their current controllers do, including the Prodigy P2. And yes... free is always good. So it looks like all is well.... 'cept for the trail conditions in MI!!!!

Last edited: