tekvest

hybrid

so after reading all the info on helmets this winter i was pretty set on getting a new helmet in the off season
but after see the recent talk about tekvest i am thinking i should have one of these instead of a new helmet
was looking at the tekvest freestyle and the klim vest
any others to consider ?
i ride atvs and motorcycles in the summer seasons too
so hopefully i can use this year round
what do u guys where ?
thanks
big snow this week for everyone

whitedust

Sixsixone core protector with spine protection breathes and fits under jacket won’t break the bank. I wrap back thing around it too. 2 offs no injuries.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using a tekvest since 2004, and I also have the 509 chest protector also. I've been using the 509 more often than the tekvest lately though

Hoosier

I have the tek vest crossover. I'm taller and it fits me better. I don't really notice it while riding.

It's supposedly more breathable and less insulating than the others, which isn't really a pro or con for me snowmobiling, but that might be nice if you are looking to use it in warm seasons too.

That 509 chest protector looks interesting too. I don't think that was available when I bought mine or I would have looked into it.

Tek vests are made in Canada which is probably part of the reason they cost more. I do like that at least one piece of my gear isn't made in a sweatshop.

wisco-mb

I've been using the 509 chest protector this year. It has a great fit! I bought it at haydays last year, and I was able to get a good feel for how it worked with my jacket. The 509 took the place of my mid layer now. I do need to be aware of how warm it will be though. My main jacket is an insulated FXR jacket, with one small vent. Anything above 25F or off trailing, and this is too warm. I use my older jacket that has more vents, and has the ability to take the inner insulation off. Crossover jacket.
The 509 does have individual pads, so the entire front is not protected like a tekvest. However, the chance of getting something to miss the pads, I feel is pretty low.

sMgE46M

I have a BCA when riding out west (no its not the avi kind) - Very comfy, another one to look at (not sure they still make it?).

mtnprovest-350.png

picbn

I wear the Klim and have for 5+ years. Comfortable, easy to adjust if more/less layers required.

hermie

I wear the klim vest that you zip up. Klim vest is a Tek Vest with klim printed on it. Like everyone says you notice it the 1st day and after that you don't even notice it. I actually feel like something is missing when I don't have it on. There has been a could times I forgot to put it in and ran back in to grab it. The one thing about a Tek Vest is you most likely will need a bigger jacket. I tried on the 509, to me feels like the Tek Vest has better protection but sometimes is way better than nothing. I am getting a little sappy in my older age and when I read some of the stories on Doo talk I had a few tears coming down. I realized I don't want to have to live any of those stories so that fall I got 1 for me and 1 for my wife. I am surprised how little this is talked about on this site always a big one on Doo talk especially in the beginning of the season.

eagle1

I wear my Klim vest all the time too but I hate those shoulder pad/pieces...wish they were narrower.

kraven700

I’ve been riding sleds since 1985

At least 20 new sleds and 60,000 miles of riding

I inquired with TEK Vest in 2020

Company Owner Steve Brand called me back shortly thereafter and spent 45 minutes with me on the phone

He personally recommended the pullover style instead of the zipper as it weakens the vest

As others have already posted, Steve said TekVest makes their tekvest for other brands

For $125 extra, their design team can create 1- of-a-kind custom graphics for your personalization

I ended up purchasing a trail TekVest for my self and another for my then 15 year old daughter , both pullover style with custom colors and graphics

As others have said, you don’t even notice you have it on, and wouldn’t ride with out one

dfattack

Tek Vest Super sport under my coat. I've been wearing it for about 15 years now. Wouldn't ride without it.