Telemark

maddogg

Apparently there's going to be a large auction for everything....anyone hear any news about a new development?

G

G

Who owns it now? It is mostly junk. Who is goiing to buy a used bed? The place is full of mold and the kitchen equipment is all outdated. Maybe they will sell a bar or two for nostalgia purposes but after that they will be lucky to get 30 grand for the whole sale. It needs to just be burned. If the 700 some acres are still part of the property then it has some value but the lodge itself is over and has been for 20 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

matti

Apparently there's going to be a large auction for everything....anyone hear any news about a new development?

I have great memories of going there as a kid. We loved to ski, swim in the outdoor swimming pool, hike, ride mountain bikes, and play ping pong! The latest news that I've heard is that the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation plans to purchase the property this fall, tear down the lodge, and further develop the existing trail system for xc-skiing, mountain biking, and the like. You can read more here:
https://www.birkie.com/2020/06/absf...t-as-next-step-in-telemark-property-purchase/

G

G

When it first opened it had to really be something. But I have no idea how they ever thought it would cash flow. Location, location,location. Had it been closer to Hayward then maybe. But it is in a dumb place. But it was quite a facility. Looks like business as usual for the future. The existing snowmobile trails will remain the same according to the article.

matti

When it first opened it had to really be something. But I have no idea how they ever thought it would cash flow. Location, location,location. Had it been closer to Hayward then maybe. But it is in a dumb place. But it was quite a facility. Looks like business as usual for the future. The existing snowmobile trails will remain the same according to the article.

Yes, I agree that if it was closer to Hayward, that would've been good. However, it was established as a downhill ski area and, to the best of my knowledge, Mt. Telemark is the biggest hill in the area (vertical drop of 380 ft). Back in its heyday, Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. played there. My dad has an old pamphlet on the history of Telemark Lodge and it looked like a grand place back then!

matti

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but the American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation has a new survey asking for input on what they should do with the Telemark Lodge property. As I understand, they do intend to tear down at least some (it not all) of the lodge. In reviewing the survey, it looks like they are considering putting some of the land into a forest conservancy. And they may consider selling/leasing small parcels of land for development into things like a brewery/bar, campground, etc.

More info here, if interested:
https://www.birkie.com/telemark/