That Can't Be Good...

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Phone.jpg

This is what's left of my Cell Phone.
Would you believe this is the second time this has happened to me.​

I've been having issues with this phone's battery and replaced it with a new phone yesterday. Before discarding the old phone I removed the battery as not to put it in a landfill. After opening the case and removing the battery the darn thing caught on fire, in my workshop, in the basement, of our house. Holy Crap! These things burn hot and fast!! Grabbed it with Channel Locks and got it outside on the patio. Again, this is the second time this has happened with a phone of mine, but this is the first time one's caught on fire. I think they call this a "Thermal Runaway". The battery keeps charging beyond 100% which generates heat and eventually an open flame. The first sign of trouble is when the battery starts to swell and the case splits open at the seam. The scary part is, I charge my phone overnight like most people. If this would have happened then... well, I wouldn't be here to tell you about it.

A final thought. Some people, I won't mention names, think it'd be a good idea if our cars ran on the lithium batteries instead of gasoline. Picture that scenario 1,000 times worse than the above photo. Ain't technology great!

eagle1

What are you using some kind of super charger 🤷🏼‍♂️ lol. Time change phone or charger brands maybe??

heckler56

I have been saying the same thing about BEV’s. Burns at over 2,000 degrees and will take down a home in minutes. Yes I have one and we make sure it is unplugged before we sleep. My heart goes out to fire & EMS in the future when these get in more wrecks. Fire and electrocution issues.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I've never seen anything burn that fast and that hot. Going forward, the wife and I will charge the phones at the end of the day but unplug before bedtime. I would advise others to do the same.

latner

I run rc boats and cars that use lithium batts, they make fireproof charging cases, bags just for this reason.

snobuilder

Saving the planet ain't easy.
iu

snobuilder

View attachment 68550

This is what's left of my Cell Phone.
Would you believe this is the second time this has happened to me.​

I've been having issues with this phone's battery and replaced it with a new phone yesterday. Before discarding the old phone I removed the battery as not to put it in a landfill. After opening the case and removing the battery the darn thing caught on fire, in my workshop, in the basement, of our house. Holy Crap! These things burn hot and fast!! Grabbed it with Channel Locks and got it outside on the patio. Again, this is the second time this has happened with a phone of mine, but this is the first time one's caught on fire. I think they call this a "Thermal Runaway". The battery keeps charging beyond 100% which generates heat and eventually an open flame. The first sign of trouble is when the battery starts to swell and the case splits open at the seam. The scary part is, I charge my phone overnight like most people. If this would have happened then... well, I wouldn't be here to tell you about it.

A final thought. Some people, I won't mention names, think it'd be a good idea if our cars ran on the lithium batteries instead of gasoline. Picture that scenario 1,000 times worse than the above photo. Ain't technology great!
I am confused as to what starts the fire after the battery is removed?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a chain reaction when the lithium ion is exposed to oxygen. In my case the battery was in a foil pouch, when removing it the foil broke and holy ----!

snobuilder

just became aware that when an EV goes up in flame they just need to let it burn....and then when the tow company removes it, they need to put it in a tank of water because of flareup that could burn down the tow yard.